Airheads past their sell-by date

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudmucker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
I have a bookmark in my Internet search menu that goes to Gumtree and another to OLX just to see what Airheads may be on the market.

On thing I have found that really gets on my tits - "COLLECTOR'S ITEM".  :mad:

It seems everyone who has an Airhead thinks there is a queue of people who so love that particular bike
that they will pay ANY price to get their hand on it - even if it isn't running, is missing critical parts or hasn't been registered or roadworthy since their mother was born...!

Recently there were no less than FIVE R65's on the same page at the same time being marketed as "collectors items".

The point I am getting at is that new parts are getting more and more scarce.
Used parts are drying up all because "collector's items" are still being kept in one piece,
instead of being taken apart into usable components so that people who DO have viable and sellable Airheads
can keep their beauties on the road.

My one G/S was recently found to have a junker crankcase after an unethical seller sold it off as roadworthy,
whereas the first time you torqued the head bolts, they would strip in the casing.  My mechanic phoned around to look for one and found one at a firm in JHB (rhymes with schnaai-tech) for...

...R6 000!  That's just the block! No crankshaft, no camshaft, no bearings no nothing else! 

BMWR100GS97149.JPG

My contact in Germany will sell me the above item for 79 Euros:

They also offered him a crankshaft for another client in need for only R12 000. 

BMWR100GSPD68teil1172.JPG

My contact in Germany will sell me the above item for 149 Euros:

I appeal to Airhead owners who think they have a hidden treasure they can schnaai somebody to buy
at an excessive price to come down to earth and to rather put them on the market as parts. 
If they don't have the knowledge or inclination to do so, then let somebody who DOES get what's left of the bike to sell in parts or components.

I guess I am talking to the converted here, but I wanted to get it off my chest.
I feel much better now...  ::)

I think I'll go ride my G/S a bit.  :ricky: