Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 90% are not paying for e tolls- Dipua Peters- wont be long now, hang on  (Read 4467 times)

Offline brianw

Gauteng motorists owe more than half a billion rand for e-tolls
Sapa | 02 April, 2014 12:27

Traffic came to a halt on the N1 south near Johannesburg when Cosatu members protested against the e-toll plan by parking their cars across the highway under a toll gantry. File photo.
Image by: Times Media
Gauteng motorists have run up more than half a billion rand in overdue fees since the province's e-tolling system started on December 3 last year, according to Transport Minister Dipuo Peters.
Less than 10% of this has been paid.
"I am informed that... as at March 1 [this year] an amount of R543,544,574 worth of invoices were transferred to the VPC [Violations Processing Centre]," she said in written reply to a parliamentary question.
The VPC is the debt-collection division within the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) responsible for the collection and processing of overdue e-toll transactions.
Contacted for comment on Wednesday, Sanral spokesman Vusi Mona said the R543.5 million included both those motorists with e-tags who had overdue accounts, as well as those who had not registered but were picked up by the tolling system.
"It is those people who have amounts outstanding, whether registered or not," he said.
Mona could not immediately say what percentage of Gauteng motorists had registered to date.
In her response to the parliamentary question -- posed by Democratic Alliance MP Ian Ollis -- Peters also revealed that "an amount of R54,735,638 (excluding VAT) has been expended in the collection of the debt".
This figure included R32.8 million "for postage and printing of invoices" and a further R21.9 million for "the cost of debt collection processes".
However, responding to a second parliamentary question, Peters said of the total of R543.5 million transferred to the VPC, only R50,043,487, or 9.21%, had been paid as at February 28.

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
thats awesome.
imagine what it will be like by the end of the year.

Offline brianw

It is therefore our social obligation, our spiritual obligation, to resist in order to become resilient. We begin by saying, “Fuck you, Zuma” every time we pass under a gantry. We end by paying for our much-needed infrastructure in a way that makes sense to all (or most) sectors of this massively striated society, and by being consulted, like adults, by those who we elect to represent our interests.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
I expect these farkers to start making more serious threats against us - I just hope the majority is motivated by the extent that people have stood against this waste of our taxes - Fuck you Sanral and the ANC!

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
JPSA MEDIA STATEMENT – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TO:   ALL NEWS, CRIME & TRANSPORT EDITORS
DATE:   2014/04/02
SUBJECT:   SANRAL THREATS OF “JAIL TIME” A GANTRY TO FAR

JOHANNESBURG – It takes a lot to shock Justice Project South Africa but when the 2014/04/02 - 18:30 Eyewitness News on Talk Radio 702 and Highveld Stereo; and subsequent bulletins thereafter led with the headline “Pay up – or face jail time”, we really thought our ears were deceiving us.

The latest attempts at scaremongering comes hot on the heels of the revelation in Parliament that SANRAL has spent R54.74 million in order to collect R50.02 million and that up to 1 March 2014, over a half a billion Rand is outstanding in unpaid e-tolls over the three month period under review.

“Clearly whoever made this threat must have come to the realisation that previous threats of criminal records and credit blacklisting – based on an Act that exempts itself from the National Credit Act – have had a limited effect,” said JPSA chairman, Howard Dembovsky. 

“What SANRAL doesn’t seem to realise is that South Africans have been subjected to similar tyrannical threats by the previous regime and they didn’t cave in then – so why would they cave in now?” he continued.

It also appears that someone at SANRAL has decided to dispense with the troublesome formality of conducting trials and now feels that they can jump straight to sentencing people to jail time.  After all, since all Magistrates just so happen to have their pensions tied up in the Public Investment Corporation’s (PIC’s) investment in e-tolling, there isn’t a single Magistrate in South Africa who will be able to hear an e-tolls prosecution without bias.

We suspect that SANRAL has now overplayed its hand and gone a gantry too far with its threats, and may well find that instead of managing to scare more people into compliance, they will simply strengthen the resolve of e-toll dissidents to resist, since there is absolutely no way that the courts will willingly dismantle the Gauteng economy by jailing what, at the bare minimum, will be hundreds of thousands of economically active citizens – even if they could manage the volumes.

SANRAL has a sizable pool of willing volunteers to be prosecuted if/when they decide to do so and none of them have asked for the additional 30 days to pay that is allegedly being offered.  Zwelinzima Vavi, Mark Heywood, Bishop Geoff Davies, Wayne Duvenage, Fr Mike Deeb, Kay Sexwale and Howard Dembovsky have all invited prosecution by refusing to pay e-tolls. 

If SANRAL chooses to pick on someone else instead, they will merely be proving that they are both, the bullies and cowards they have thus far proven themselves to be by engaging in intimidation and extortion tactics on public platforms.

Considering that the conviction rate for dangerous road traffic offences like driving under the influence of alcohol is reportedly 7.5% (Kwazulu-Natal) and excessive speed to the tune of 173km/h in a 120km/h zone has led to charges being withdrawn against Itumeleng Khune in return for 10 hours community service, it’s not difficult to see where the priorities lie.  Tackling South Africa’s unacceptably high road death toll is clearly less important to the Department of Transport's SANRAL than tackling non-payment of tolls, now isn’t it?

ENDS

Best Regards,

Howard Dembovsky
National Chairman - Justice Project South Africa (NPC)
Association Not For Gain  |  Incorporated as a non-profit company under the Companies Act, 2008  | Registration Number 2010/019972/08

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
So SANRAL wants to put people in jail for a few hundred bucks worth of toll-money.....................but the President
steals millions with Nkandla.................but that is Ok ?       

Weird country we live in.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Well.

JZ has said that since he didn't ask for the extra improvements to Nkandla, he wont be paying for them.

Ok then.

I didn't ASK for etolls, so I wont be paying for them either then.

You wanna chuck me in jail for that, chuck JZ in jail with me!

Otherwise go fuck yourselves SANRAL
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
+ 1000000
You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.

Offline Offshore

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Fuck them. Twice.

Offline brianw

:diablo_ani_fire: :MEGA1:

Offline Kneeslider

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Classic Cycle Cabin
Re: 90% are not paying for e tolls- Dipua Peters- wont be long now, hang on
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 03:02:13 pm »
According to this piece, it seems as if SANRAL are already running around with cap in hand asking for bailouts.
Seems that R3.2 billion of our tax money was given to them by SARS.  >:(

http://www.7am.co.za/is-e-toll-near-the-end/

They’ve been shoved to the quiet corner lately, but we thought we’d give you a quick overview of the status of E-tolls.

As you may, or may not, have been aware, SARS recently gave SANRAL a big R3.2 billion gift to keep them going. Well, someone had to considering motorists won’t. There is still a half a billion rands worth of unpaid E-toll bills and though SANRAL has begun the process of sending out debt collectors, the people are standing by their non-payment mandate................

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 03:07:20 pm »
According to this piece, it seems as if SANRAL are already running around with cap in hand asking for bailouts.
Seems that R3.2 billion of our tax money was given to them by SARS.  >:(

http://www.7am.co.za/is-e-toll-near-the-end/

They’ve been shoved to the quiet corner lately, but we thought we’d give you a quick overview of the status of E-tolls.

As you may, or may not, have been aware, SARS recently gave SANRAL a big R3.2 billion gift to keep them going. Well, someone had to considering motorists won’t. There is still a half a billion rands worth of unpaid E-toll bills and though SANRAL has begun the process of sending out debt collectors, the people are standing by their non-payment mandate................

:thumleft: fuckers thought we were all sheeple - love it!

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 03:44:29 pm »
So the thieves get bailed out by the other thieves

You gotta love the fucktard reasoning of the people of this country
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 01:15:50 pm »
Anyone know where Sanral are getting their info from ?
I thought it was eNatis, but all my vehicles have my private e-mail address on them.
Today I received an e-mail from less60@itcba.co.za  encouraging me to register
fro the 60% discount, quoting what I owe etc, but this came on my corporate
e-mail which Sanral should not know about. Where are they getting their info from ?

Offline SOPWITH

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 01:26:04 pm »
So SANRAL wants to put people in jail for a few hundred bucks worth of toll-money.....................but the President
steals millions with Nkandla.................but that is Ok ?       

Weird country we live in.

remember he has already done his time....Robin Island old boys high

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 04:10:59 pm »
I thought it was eNatis, but all my vehicles have my private e-mail address on them.
e-mail which Sanral should not know about. Where are they getting their info from ?

have you ever paid any e-tolls?

maybe from your bank?

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 04:27:50 pm »

maybe from your bank?
Nope never paid. but even if I did, I never provide my corporate e-mail, as that is for work only.

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 04:28:59 pm »
FUCKEM!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 06:53:51 pm »

maybe from your bank?
Nope never paid. but even if I did, I never provide my corporate e-mail, as that is for work only.

very weird then  ???  let us know if you do find out how those cock suckers got it?

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 06:31:46 pm »
FUKK.  KK  KEM
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride