Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Can the cameras read a KLR's number plate?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Can the cameras read a KLR's number plate?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 09:42:14 am »
Sorry before I moved my number plate on my new bike, the cameras had no trouble picking up the plate in its original position. When Armageddon comes and Zombies rule the world, the KLR may be the only bike still running, but at the moment you are not gonna avoid etolls.

LMAO

Let me just explain to some who haven't read this before:
The system works in 3 settings
1: photo from the front
2: read tag
3: photo from the back

The computer then makes a virtual image of the vehicle and verify through the system that it is actually the said registered 'bike or car/truck'. The number plates are then also through automatic program being read and verified that it match the tag. A KLR numberplat is slightly obstruckted in the middle and computer can not make this automatic verification. It is channeld to the violation centre where the billing then gets done manually, and then they (operator) decide weather you are at fault or not and bill accordingly. All new shape klr's have this problem if you make use of a legal plate.

I now avoid this one gantry and use an alyternative route till they have sorted the issue. There must be a solution other to cut a OEM mudguard.....

I have heard that they will start with highway patroll cars (there are 2 which I alreaddy know of and is this ford model that looks like a frontier) that will start patrolling and stopping especially bikes without number plates. There are stopper groups at some offramps, and video surveilience. Please don't try to run when the do pull you over. They will use cops that will only work on SANRAL roads. This is all I know and able to share. At this stage registration is not compulsary if you use the road, but paying for the 'service' is compulsary. The complicated part: it now is law and all oposed court cases have unfortunately failed.

And therein lies the big issue...

So if Sanral can get dedicated cops, why cant other businesses/communities/groups etc. also get them?

As far as I am concerned, this is an abuse of power, its the govt just trying even harder to steal my money. Just means that I will continue even harder to not pay them.
(ps. not directed at you Tom, but at Scamral, but thanks for the info...)
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 01:19:31 pm »
Agree, it just doesn't seem right. If they were at least serve the people and by that I mean help to safe guard the rodas: assist with scene safety at accidents and stationary vehicles or even pull over vehicles which seem to be overloaded or noot roadworthy. Apparently that was the main reason right in the beginning for getting dedicated traffic cops. Let's wait and see, keep an eye on the situasion but if the start harassing the people with regards to payments I'm sure some political parties like the DA and other will make a stand. This fight agains E toll is far from over, in fact, I think it is only going to really start now (soon) as they begin to prossecute not paying users

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 01:47:13 pm »
Agree, it just doesn't seem right. If they were at least serve the people and by that I mean help to safe guard the rodas: assist with scene safety at accidents and stationary vehicles or even pull over vehicles which seem to be overloaded or noot roadworthy. Apparently that was the main reason right in the beginning for getting dedicated traffic cops. Let's wait and see, keep an eye on the situasion but if the start harassing the people with regards to payments I'm sure some political parties like the DA and other will make a stand. This fight agains E toll is far from over, in fact, I think it is only going to really start now (soon) as they begin to prossecute not paying users
:thumleft:

makes me angry to think they are using OUR money AGAINST us - there is a lot of anger in many people using these roads, I just hope enough of us stick together to make the laws around this issue unworkable....