Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cheated on my partner today...  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: Cheated on my partner today...
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 10:17:26 am »
I don't really notice the windscreen anymore. Believe me, best bike I have ever owned. A windscreen is not the end of the world Garfield- certainly some aftermarket will be able to address your concern?

Just buy the damn thing - you will never regret it 😄

To me it is an issue, especially on a R207K bike, but that was first impression, who knows what will change over the next few months.

(ek kry mos maar soms so 'n jeukerigheid, dan is enigiets moontlik  :biggrin: )

Draadwerk, I think he rode the new GSA and I agree, that for me was the one thing above all I did not like. The screen offers very little protection given the size and really dances around a lot compared with our bikes. Using the same mount on the bigger and heavier screen was clearly not a good idea.

Garfield, regarding handling and wheelbase: by integrating the engine and gearbox BMW managed to lengthen the swing arm but retained the wheelbase.

O OK, at some stage I will look at the specifications  :thumleft:

The screen on the GS is smaller, making it much less of a problem.
Even on the previous generation the GSA screen has additional support which the GS does not have.  On the new model the adjustment mechanism of the screen obviously makes additional support difficult.
Personally I would much prefer a stable screen above easy adjustment (maybe the solution would be to just order it with the GS screen - if that would be possible. 
I do not like having to buy an aftermarket solution for something which should work from the factory.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 10:47:50 am »
I don't really notice the windscreen anymore. Believe me, best bike I have ever owned. A windscreen is not the end of the world Garfield- certainly some aftermarket will be able to address your concern?

Just buy the damn thing - you will never regret it

To me it is an issue, especially on a R207K bike, but that was first impression, who knows what will change over the next few months.

(ek kry mos maar soms so 'n jeukerigheid, dan is enigiets moontlik  :biggrin: )

Draadwerk, I think he rode the new GSA and I agree, that for me was the one thing above all I did not like. The screen offers very little protection given the size and really dances around a lot compared with our bikes. Using the same mount on the bigger and heavier screen was clearly not a good idea.

Garfield, regarding handling and wheelbase: by integrating the engine and gearbox BMW managed to lengthen the swing arm but retained the wheelbase.

O OK, at some stage I will look at the specifications  :thumleft:

The screen on the GS is smaller, making it much less of a problem.
Even on the previous generation the GSA screen has additional support which the GS does not have.  On the new model the adjustment mechanism of the screen obviously makes additional support difficult.
Personally I would much prefer a stable screen above easy adjustment (maybe the solution would be to just order it with the GS screen - if that would be possible. 
I do not like having to buy an aftermarket solution for something which should work from the factory.

Touratect actually makes an additional support brace that will help but I agree that it should not be required.

Yes, on the GS it actually works a lot better with the smaller screen.

Offline K-9

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 02:37:59 pm »
I did 7500kms on my GSA LC in April, screen does not bother me any more.  Bring it up to the highest setting and then bring it down slightly until it changes angle, it hardly shakes and the wind protection is much, much better.

Fantastic bike, everything is better.  it is a lot of bike compared to the previous GSA.

Just buy the bike, it is easer to get forgiven than permission.  my wife forgave me after the first ride.

DONT TEST RIDE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO BUY IT.

I live on the coast and plastic is the only thing that does not rust, so good quality plastic is not a bad thing............
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline Me 109

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • German pilots fly better!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 03:37:04 am »
Hi Gs pilots :laughing4:
My first post, new to the forum and already feeling at home!
Small intro first....
Andries from Secunda, Mpumalanga.
Offshore oil industry instrumentation eng.
Currently Singapore shipyard.
I have just traded my trusty GS1200 2011 model for the 2014 GSA1200LC, currently with 40km on the clock :P Unfortunately I had to leave for Singapore the day after I took delivery........what a bummer! >:( My first trip is planned for June.. Baviaans, Hel, etc. Hugely excited :biggrin:
Only 2 small issues with the bike so-far.....The floppy screen, indicator switch awkward to operate, and not the bikes fault, but the fact that I have to wait in excess of 4 weeks for the locks to arrive for the boxes >:( Still waiting!
A big decider for me was the bigger tank, the wet clutch (Botswana sand played havock with the dry plate version), and the overall engineering of the machine :) Time will tell if it will serve me as well as my 2011 GS, but I am confident, and trust the brand and i'ts engineers.
Flying and adventure biking feeds the soul.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 10:02:43 pm »
Small intro first....
I have just traded my trusty GS1200 2011 model for the 2014 GSA1200LC, currently with 40km on the clock :P Unfortunately I had to leave for Singapore the day after I took delivery........what a bummer! >:( My first trip is planned for June.. Baviaans, Hel, etc. Hugely excited :biggrin:
Only 2 small issues with the bike so-far.....The floppy screen, indicator switch awkward to operate, and not the bikes fault, but the fact that I have to wait in excess of 4 weeks for the locks to arrive for the boxes >:( Still waiting!
A big decider for me was the bigger tank, the wet clutch (Botswana sand played havock with the dry plate version), and the overall engineering of the machine :) Time will tell if it will serve me as well as my 2011 GS, but I am confident, and trust the brand and i'ts engineers.

Congrats on your GSA an many safe miles! You just got to find your way around the forum now as you accidently hijacked another mans thread here! You should have posted in new members section because this is quite a nice intro: your work and bike! Cheers!

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 10:07:39 pm »
Small intro first....

Congrats on your GSA an many safe miles! You just got to find your way around the forum now as you accidently hijacked another mans thread here! You should have posted in new members section because this is quite a nice intro: your work and bike! Cheers!

All good  :thumleft: the thread is about the new GSA anyway.

Many happy km's with your new bike, and hope your planned trip in June is awesome, looking forward to the ride report.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 10:11:49 pm »
I did 7500kms on my GSA LC in April, screen does not bother me any more.  Bring it up to the highest setting and then bring it down slightly until it changes angle, it hardly shakes and the wind protection is much, much better.

Fantastic bike, everything is better.  it is a lot of bike compared to the previous GSA.

Just buy the bike, it is easer to get forgiven than permission.  my wife forgave me after the first ride.

DONT TEST RIDE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO BUY IT.

I live on the coast and plastic is the only thing that does not rust, so good quality plastic is not a bad thing............

Something else on the demo bike which bothered me apart from the screen was the catch/bolt on the cubby (or I assume it is a cubby) on top of the tank which was rusted, and this on a bike a month or two after the launch.

Time will tell, I am sure it is an awesome bike, for now I will watch and learn  :thumleft:

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 10:17:42 pm »
You sounds like you really cheated on your partner .... the bad taste in the mouth last longer than the ecstasy of the moment , Ne ?    :ricky:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 10:20:24 pm »
You sounds like you really cheated on your partner .... the bad taste in the mouth last longer than the ecstasy of the moment , Ne ?    :ricky:

:imaposer: I guess some read it as me being negative about the new GSA.

Not at all, just looking at things objectively and forming my own opinion.