Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ400 fuel petcock  (Read 710 times)

Offline Louis Photo

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
DRZ400 fuel petcock
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:52:35 pm »
The petrol tap on my DRZ is leaking about 1 small drop a second in the OFF position, can I only buy a replacement from the agents or are they sold in most bike shops? Do you have to replace the tap when it starts leaking or can you buy a service kit?
Its also leaking fuel from the carb, I assume its related to the tap leaking? The bike starts first time and runs fine. How much must it leak to cause a hydrolocked cylinder?

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
Re: DRZ400 fuel petcock
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:56:22 pm »
Im about to save you some money...

Just hold on...
Maak soos Dr Phil sÍ: "Hou op om 'n do0s te wees..."

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:57:28 pm »

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:59:10 pm »
The OEM Suzuki fuel tap was something like R800 a year or two ago

Get the Yammie one

:thumleft:

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:00:24 pm »
The leaking carb is a little more iffy... Have it checked out properly

Offline Louis Photo

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:11:38 pm »
ah brilliant, thanks  :thumleft:  99-'00 Yamaha WR400 - now to find a Yamaha dealer out in the sticks where I live.

Offline MARCAL

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:10:48 am »
I've got a new tank with petcock for you , R800 and its yours.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:15:04 am by MARCAL »

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:01:04 am »
The petrol tap on my DRZ is leaking about 1 small drop a second in the OFF position, can I only buy a replacement from the agents or are they sold in most bike shops? Do you have to replace the tap when it starts leaking or can you buy a service kit?
Its also leaking fuel from the carb, I assume its related to the tap leaking? The bike starts first time and runs fine. How much must it leak to cause a hydrolocked cylinder?

You can buy from Yamaha or Suzuki as above. Since it's not a vacuum operated one you also have a chance of picking up a generic replacement. Note that these come in varying degrees of crappiness.
You also get generic repair kits for taps. Although rarely here in SA I would still ask.

Carb leak is due to a leaking float bowl gasket or a leaking float needle valve. Not related to the tap.

As a rough guess 60 drops make 1ml. Your 400 compresses at something around 10:1. Means your combustion chamber is something around 40ccm in volume and if you leave your tap dripping for three quarters of an hour and all that leakage makes it into the cylinder you could have a problem.

But believe me fuel leaking past rings and into the sump or pissing out of the carb and setting the bike alight is more a consideration.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Louis Photo

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:21:03 am »

You can buy from Yamaha or Suzuki as above. Since it's not a vacuum operated one you also have a chance of picking up a generic replacement. Note that these come in varying degrees of crappiness.
You also get generic repair kits for taps. Although rarely here in SA I would still ask.

Carb leak is due to a leaking float bowl gasket or a leaking float needle valve. Not related to the tap.

As a rough guess 60 drops make 1ml. Your 400 compresses at something around 10:1. Means your combustion chamber is something around 40ccm in volume and if you leave your tap dripping for three quarters of an hour and all that leakage makes it into the cylinder you could have a problem.

But believe me fuel leaking past rings and into the sump or pissing out of the carb and setting the bike alight is more a consideration.

Thanks  :thumleft:  I think I solved the leaking carb problem. Somebody suggested I give the carb bowl a couple of light taps with a small tool handle, sometimes the float get stuck. I did this, and no more carb leaking or petrol smell around my bike.

Offline Louis Photo

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 11:24:07 am »
I've got a new tank with petcock for you , R800 and its yours.

Thanks for the offer, Ill think about it. I plan to buy a long range Safari tank in the near future which may also solve my tap problem.