Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Will the real National MX step forward  (Read 658 times)

Offline Warren Ellwood

Will the real National MX step forward
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:51:58 am »
This weekend will be the first Easter Weekend I have spent at home in quite a while, and I was looking forward to relaxing, doing some work on my bikes and going to watch some National MX as its happening in Cape Town over Easter Weekend.

But now I am a little confused, because there is WOMZA National MX at the Melbos Track this weekend, 19 and 20 April, and there is also MSA National MX at Zone 7 on Friday 18 April.

So which is the real deal, or are they both the real deal. Are they so scheduled because the top riders in SA take part in both series? I don't think I can get a 3 day pass from the wife.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: Will the real National MX step forward
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:00:18 pm »
This weekend will be the first Easter Weekend I have spent at home in quite a while, and I was looking forward to relaxing, doing some work on my bikes and going to watch some National MX as its happening in Cape Town over Easter Weekend.

But now I am a little confused, because there is WOMZA National MX at the Melbos Track this weekend, 19 and 20 April, and there is also MSA National MX at Zone 7 on Friday 18 April.

So which is the real deal, or are they both the real deal. Are they so scheduled because the top riders in SA take part in both series? I don't think I can get a 3 day pass from the wife.
Depends who is hosting the most entries... afaik they are both recognized by the sports ministry and FIM.  :sip:

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:57:23 pm »
So been Googleing,

Seems the top 2 names in SA MX at the Moment are Kerim Fitz-Gerlad and Sacha Naude.

Now if you visit both WOMZA’s website and MSA, you will find they seem to race in both series, so basically it looks like one can become SA Champ twice.

So three days of National MX in Cape Town this weekend.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:53:04 pm »
So been Googleing,

Seems the top 2 names in SA MX at the Moment are Kerim Fitz-Gerlad and Sacha Naude.

Now if you visit both WOMZA’s website and MSA, you will find they seem to race in both series, so basically it looks like one can become SA Champ twice.

So three days of National MX in Cape Town this weekend.
Gotta love our constitution... you may not discriminate against competitors... ;D

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:57:57 pm »
Only MSA is recognised by SASCOC and the FIM, but in saying that WOMSA was formed out of frustration with MSA who were perceived to just take take take and put nothing back, MSA took WOMSA to court but it back fired as the court quoted the constitution which say's freedom of association, so what we have had here for the last couple of years is two championships one can lay claim to being a national championship but did not have the riders and the other could make no claims yet had the riders,, now a few years into it riders are saying that the WOMSA crowd are disorganised and no better than MSA,, so,,, whats the real one???  dunno,,, you choose !
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Odd Dog

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 03:06:13 pm »
I was under the impression that the MX boys favoured WOMZA while the Enduro/Offroad boys favoured MSA to a certain extent.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Buff

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 03:19:59 pm »
And it seems to go a little further as well... no official WOMZA meets may happen at Zone7, only MSA events which is why their National is happening at Melkbos  ???

The Offroad side in CT falls under MSA, I've yet to see a ride that falls under the auspices of WOMZA.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline EtienneKLR

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 04:41:12 pm »
And it seems to go a little further as well... no official WOMZA meets may happen at Zone7, only MSA events which is why their National is happening at Melkbos  ???

The Offroad side in CT falls under MSA, I've yet to see a ride that falls under the auspices of WOMZA.
Heard a birdie whisper that a club cannot be affiliated to Womza and MSA. This was a very hot topic of discussion recently. Womza vs MSA and vice versa. For our enduro club we raced under the Womza banner in 2012 and then changed to MSA for 2013. Lots of confusion all round.

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 08:07:34 pm »
@ Old dog, it's not a case of favour, the off road has stayed with MSA up until now for a few reasons one being that there was still some faith in the off road commission, there is a lot of unhappyness at the moment over some issues with the format of off roads, we are hoping that these issues will be sorted out for 2015, if not you might see Off road going the same way as MX, this is pertaining to national level racing,, biggest problems with MX and off road has been the lack of consultation with the riders to find out what they want and the autocratic way in which issues were dealt with.
Life is too short to ride a Honda