Route to Jericho rock - the picture report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Duck

Race Dog
Reaction score
No fixed address...Travelling Southern Africa in a
So, this all happened due to Mikie's  post (https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=148810.msg2834769#msg2834769) in Planning a Ride, that he was looking for the route to Jericho rock via the Harties canals. This got the interest of a few guys, a route was posted and the ride was on! Thanks Mikie!

I decided kind of last minute Saturday evening that I'd join this ride, along with my fiance, Ronelle, on pillion. I had done the canals a few times in the past but never out to or up Jericho rock. When Ronelle and I arrived at the Wimpy (at the Harties fourway crossing) we found the two Triumphs of JMass and ZV already waiting. Not long after this the rest arrived...Mikie, neary85, and "du Bois" (sorry I have forgotten your forum name and probably misspelled your name here  :-[ forgive me!)

Introductions done  (...me thinking "phew, I must be the oldest toppie here, and I have a pillion, I hope I don't slow the group down  :p) the three BMW's, two Triumphs and a KTM set off for the start of the northern canal route to Beestekraal Stasie.

The rest of this ride report will consist of photos my fiance took, many of which were taken on the move. To the rest of the guys, please feel free to add your stories...

Assembled outside a local shebeen - however, no local brew was consumed by any WD's!

JMass lead for the first section but then asked if I could lead...suited me perfectly, Ronelle and I did not have to eat any dust! So above, the pack were hounding us down  ;D

Some small muddy puddles and streams to cross but nothing technical.

The two Triumphs consult...

Keep the canal on your right...and don't get to close!

Dried mud ruts, always worth avoiding dropping your wheels into  ;)

ZV was having traction problems so here we drop his tyre pressure a little.

The others take a quick smoke break and pose for photos

Fast straights...but bad corrugations and a bit of soft surface gravel here and there just to keep you focused.

Pretty soon we arrived at the Beestekraal Stasie for some food, beverage...and finding out more about who we were all riding with! Isn't it great that we can all just fall in and ride together, not even knowing the people  ;D
There was already a group of bikes parked there so the parking lot was looking like the start of a some off road rally.
After this stop we headed off to Jericho rock.

Arriving at the base of the rock, JMass rides straight up while the rest of us (who had never been there before) dismount to first check this whole thing out  :eek:

Next, a few more pictures of the ride up, the view and the ride back down...