Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What did go wrong: loose spokes  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Nox

Re: What did go wrong: loose spokes
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 07:10:34 pm »
SGB will be attending the Trophy, so he will have firstclass access to advise us afterwords if the rims have done a good job!

:thumleft:

I drove with SGB through Lesotho some three weeks ago on an dedicated offroad trip with red, orange and green sections. I had a pillion on the bike as well and will not swop it for anything else, perhaps a 990 - but the wife would not enjoy that!

The 1200 LC, in my opinion, is the most capable bike in these situations BMW has built this far - but that is my 2c.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:12:28 pm by Nox »
To Live is Christ - To die is Gain... Fil: 1:21

2013 1200 GS - 2011 KTM 300 - current
2008 1200 GS 2007 XMoto
2006 Kawasaki KDX 200 - current bike 2012 Kawasaki KX 250 2008 Kawasaki ZX 14 2008 Kawasaki ZX 6 2004 BMW 1200 GS Suzuki GSXR 1000 K4 - stuntbike 1994 Honda Fireblade 900 rr - stuntbike 2006 ER6F - stuntbike 2006 Honda TRX 400 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 Green 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 Blue - written off 2006 Kawasaki Z 750 S 1984 BMW R100RS 1992 Yamaha DT 180 1988 Honda MTX 50 1985 Kawasaki

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 08:59:42 pm »
I still believe I hit a pothole on tar. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Whatever, I've learnt my lesson: I'm now OCD about the pressure. And I agree with Monsieur Cap that the wheels are more vulnerable than the old ones, by design.

Anyway, noticed a familiar picture in May 2014 Offroad & Adventure Mag of a rim with worse symptoms.

Nox, I think my bike is the best compromise for ME. Someone else might like more road, others more offroad orientated bikes. This is my opinion, garnered from knowledge gained mostly here and riding a couple of bikes.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline AntVan

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 08:06:03 am »
Insurance eventually sent assessor out. Only problem is, I did not notice that some asshole broke the plastic license disk off. Until Oom assessor asked me where my license was. Whoopsie. If they refuse based on this (technically bike is not roadworthy) I am taking this further.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 08:20:48 am »
http://motorbikewriter.com/advice-riders-new-bmw-r-1200-gs/

Problem? What problem? I'm not convinced....

Well you would not hammer a Range Rover Sport or X6 through a 4x4 track? Wide tires & low profile is NOT what you want if the going gets tough.

True, but...The international GS Trophy is running the K50 this year.

Interesting to see if this is the only REAL problem I have on this bike.

The GS trophy showcases BMW's latest toy in a big marketing bonanza. It does not mean the K50 is the best tool to get the job done.

If you bend control arms and rims and crack frames I'd say it looks a teeny weeny bit a if you are doing things the bike is not designed to do. Just my opinion :-\

KTM rims bend all the time, maybe they should not go of tar!? :peepwall:

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
What did go wrong: loose spokes
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 08:27:01 am »
I still believe I hit a pothole on tar. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Whatever, I've learnt my lesson: I'm now OCD about the pressure. And I agree with Monsieur Cap that the wheels are more vulnerable than the old ones, by design.

Anyway, noticed a familiar picture in May 2014 Offroad & Adventure Mag of a rim with worse symptoms.

Nox, I think my bike is the best compromise for ME. Someone else might like more road, others more offroad orientated bikes. This is my opinion, garnered from knowledge gained mostly here and riding a couple of bikes.

I monitor pressure religiously and have yet to bend a rim on the K50. In fact, my last trip I never even dropped the pressure when going onto dirt. It was a bit slippery but the profile on the Karoo made up for the pressure adequately.

(My front never goes below 2 bar unless I plan to ride on a beach where there's limited chance of hitting a rock. However, I was told to stay away from the beach)

PS: About a month ago my brother, Grondotter on the forum, hit a pothole/carveout near Nelspruit with his new GSA and the front rim buckled. His wife following on the 2010 GSA hit the same and the front rim buckled. Tyre pressure was the same and both riding one up without luggage. The only difference was the extent of the damage, the 2010 could limp home, the 2014 was not ridable.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 08:32:21 am »
Insurance eventually sent assessor out. Only problem is, I did not notice that some asshole broke the plastic license disk off. Until Oom assessor asked me where my license was. Whoopsie. If they refuse based on this (technically bike is not roadworthy) I am taking this further.

They cannot and will not repudiate based on failure to display. As long as it was in fact licensed, failure to display is of no effect. Stop worrying about that ! 👍

Offline AntVan

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 07:41:47 pm »
Dankie Draadtrek, dis goeie nuus.

Offline lecap

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 08:42:26 am »

Well you would not hammer a Range Rover Sport or X6 through a 4x4 track? Wide tires & low profile is NOT what you want if the going gets tough.

The GS trophy showcases BMW's latest toy in a big marketing bonanza. It does not mean the K50 is the best tool to get the job done.

If you bend control arms and rims and crack frames I'd say it looks a teeny weeny bit a if you are doing things the bike is not designed to do. Just my opinion :-\

A KTM is ready to race. If you break it just don't be a pussy and buy a new wheel.
Imagine M. Schumacher in his early Ferrari days: "Oh, my, I blew another engine, oh my! Maybe we should buy one from Renault?" :lol8:

...The only difference was the extent of the damage, the 2010 could limp home, the 2014 was not ride able.

Because she heard him go "oh f**!" and dropped the anchor before sailing through the hole :imaposer:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:43:22 am by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 09:05:40 am »

A KTM is ready to race. If you break it just don't be a pussy and buy a new wheel.
Imagine M. Schumacher in his early Ferrari days: "Oh, my, I blew another engine, oh my! Maybe we should buy one from Renault?" :lol8:

...The only difference was the extent of the damage, the 2010 could limp home, the 2014 was not ride able.

Because she heard him go "oh f**!" and dropped the anchor before sailing through the hole :imaposer:

:imaposer:

Offline AntVan

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 05:29:02 pm »
Insurance approved the repair...now for the long wait for spares....

Offline AntVan

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 08:12:55 pm »
Fixed! Round wheel again.

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2014, 09:42:34 pm »

See the glass can actually be half full

Offline AntVan

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2014, 10:13:12 pm »

See the glass can actually be half full

It's fully full: half beer, half air.

And the wobble is gone! Yeah!