Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cost of service on the BMW1200 LC  (Read 31195 times)

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
Re: Cost of service on the BMW1200 LC
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2016, 02:11:20 pm »
I paid Euro256,85 for the annual service.  This included - wait for it... NOTHING special.  That was R4130 at the exchange rate in July when it was done.  Perhaps R3900 today.

I keep on saying that the South African dealers are not half as bad as many want to make them sound.  :peepwall:

cant compare like that... you pay in dollars and whatnot.
Ia good way to compare costs realistically is to simply x10.

I compare real values at the exact exchange rate of the day.  What can be more realistic than that?  But whatever...  I thought I will just share.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2016, 02:39:32 pm »
I paid Euro256,85 for the annual service.  This included - wait for it... NOTHING special.  That was R4130 at the exchange rate in July when it was done.  Perhaps R3900 today.

I keep on saying that the South African dealers are not half as bad as many want to make them sound.  :peepwall:

I compare real values at the exact exchange rate of the day.  What can be more realistic than that?  But whatever...  I thought I will just share.

Maybe, and it is definitely applicable if you are importing something. But when you have service rendered in America it means you probably get paid in dollar as well. the bite out of your pocket will be closer to a R10-to-the-dollar bite than an exchange-rate-related bite.

Its fine if you disagree, I havent been there yet so crucify me, but be prepared to have
"I keep on saying that the South African dealers are not half as bad as many want to make them sound "
sentences like this on your copy and paste tab cause South Africa is going to look very good with comparissons like this in A LOT of areas.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2016, 04:58:25 pm »

Maybe, and it is definitely applicable if you are importing something. But when you have service rendered in America it means you probably get paid in dollar as well. the bite out of your pocket will be closer to a R10-to-the-dollar bite than an exchange-rate-related bite.

Its fine if you disagree, I havent been there yet so crucify me, but be prepared to have
"I keep on saying that the South African dealers are not half as bad as many want to make them sound "
sentences like this on your copy and paste tab cause South Africa is going to look very good with comparissons like this in A LOT of areas.

OK, I get your point about the comparison. But I posted a picture somewhere, on another thread, that shows the price of the new GSA here in France and it calculates to about R355k.  It is the full spec bike but I still think it is way more than the same item in South Africa,  Where they get ahead of us is the fact that their interest rate is very low so over a three or five year period you may still pay more in SA but that money does not go to the dealer.

The thing is, the topic here is the cost of service and many (not all) refer to the dealers as 'stealers', albeit tongue in cheek (also - not all...). To me it seems as if BMW in South Africa is offering not such a bad deal at all compared to the cost of goods and services abroad.  But I have to hasten to add that the peripherals are much cheaper (panniers, top boxes, etc) so perhaps I should refrain from comparing.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline TheBear

« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2016, 08:12:53 pm »
The thing is, the topic here is the cost of service and many (not all) refer to the dealers as 'stealers', albeit tongue in cheek (also - not all...). To me it seems as if BMW in South Africa is offering not such a bad deal at all compared to the cost of goods and services abroad.  But I have to hasten to add that the peripherals are much cheaper (panniers, top boxes, etc) so perhaps I should refrain from comparing.

No.  Please compare away.  It is interesting to some.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline OomD

« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2016, 06:24:48 am »
GSA 20K service, R3066.  ???

No extras. Oil, brake fluid, final drive oil, plugs and filters.

Offline Mayhem

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Do it in the dirt
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »
Just paid R 2069.28 for 10 000 service at Donford Stelenbosch. Engine oil, brake fluid front and rear and engine oil filter.
BMW 1150 Adventure (gone)
BMW HP 2 (gone)
Ducati 500 Pantah (gone)
1200 LC Trophy Edition (gone)
BMW R 1200 Rallye, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Dustbin Dog

« Reply #186 on: November 29, 2016, 06:45:23 am »
Here with the cost of my first 1000 km service, Boksburg. ???
Yamaha XT500 / Montesa 250 King Scorpion
Suzuki GSX 1100
Ducati 900 MHR
BMW R100RS
Current BMW R1200GS

Offline Stoukie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2016, 02:15:32 pm »
Just paid R 2069.28 for 10 000 service at Donford Stelenbosch. Engine oil, brake fluid front and rear and engine oil filter.

I payed double that for my 20 000km service not a month ago... Even found out that when I bought my bike beginning of the year from the dealership my front tire was put on the wrong side round, been driving all this time with the grooves facing out not in, or was it in not out... Anyway, point is, watch out for the 20 000km service.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:16:26 pm by Stoukie »

Offline mike gs

« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2016, 06:39:01 pm »
Just paid 2.8K for 50 000km service on my 07 GSA included a new alternator belt and fitting a new tyre which I supplied. Done by Sean from SMD in Weltevreden Park.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Love life!

Offline Edd

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2016, 09:18:00 pm »
I just paid R 3900 for a 20000 km service, they had to replaced the rear brakes.
Face your Fears, Live your Dreams

Offline TheBear

« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2017, 06:58:37 pm »
50 000km service:  R2200.00

This included:

-  Puncture repair
-  Air filter element replacement that I chose over a just a clean.

Without these two items, the service would have been around R1700.00
.#BRADICAL!

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2017, 09:05:56 am »
I have just charged a customer R 3333.16 for a 20 000 Km on his 2105 R1200GS LC (K50)
This included, oil (I only use Liqui Moly - which is more expensive but the best in the industry) Final drive oil, brake fluid, filters, plugs, labour & engine flush which everybody forgets how important this is..............
NB. the customer opted for a performance Air Filter (washable instead of replacement) which was R 961.22 which makes the cost of the service more realistic at  R 2371.94
Also consider the big killer in this service is the sodding spark plugs - they are a whopping R 776.20 for four plugs - take that off it comes down to R 1600.00 - more realistic again.
I have just done the 30 000 Km service on my own R1200GS LC (K50) and to be honest I pulled the plugs, inspected them and they were seriously not showing any signs of wear or degradation at all - I cleaned them and put them back - my bike is running just peachy! They weren't changed at 20 000 Kms either - maybe it's just that ex-Rhodie in me........ 8)
With servicing customers bikes, I go by the book.

Just a point to note about the Liqui Moly Oils

When I got my bike it had 9 000Kms on it....I first noticed that it ran rather hot? Steve at Northside said it was within spec but once I had changed the oil to Liqui Moly it went from running around at 92*C to 84-86*C and a bit quieter (it's a 2015)
I rode Bavarians R1200GS LC in the Economy Run two years ago and my quest was to be the first Duallie over 1000cc to go under 4.0Lts/100Km and I couldn't get there until I changed the oil to Liqui Moly and I won my class in the event at 3.971 Lt/100Kms
Top grade oil makes all the difference!
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Our quality is our key!

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2017, 09:37:27 am »
I have just charged a customer R 3333.16 for a 20 000 Km on his 2105 R1200GS LC (K50)
This included, oil (I only use Liqui Moly - which is more expensive but the best in the industry) Final drive oil, brake fluid, filters, plugs, labour & engine flush which everybody forgets how important this is..............
NB. the customer opted for a performance Air Filter (washable instead of replacement) which was R 961.22 which makes the cost of the service more realistic at  R 2371.94
Also consider the big killer in this service is the sodding spark plugs - they are a whopping R 776.20 for four plugs - take that off it comes down to R 1600.00 - more realistic again.
I have just done the 30 000 Km service on my own R1200GS LC (K50) and to be honest I pulled the plugs, inspected them and they were seriously not showing any signs of wear or degradation at all - I cleaned them and put them back - my bike is running just peachy! They weren't changed at 20 000 Kms either - maybe it's just that ex-Rhodie in me........ 8)

When I got my bike it had 9 000Kms on it....I first noticed that it ran rather hot? Steve at Northside said it was within spec but once I had changed the oil to Liqui Moly it went from running around at 92*C to 84-86*C and a bit quieter (it's a 2015)
I rode Bavarians R1200GS LC in the Economy Run two years ago and my quest was to be the first Duallie over 1000cc to go under 4.0Lts/100Km and I couldn't get there until I changed the oil to Liqui Moly and I won my class in the event at 3.971 Lt/100Kms

Interesting Blingking...Are you a registered service agent with BMW? ie if i service my LC with you would BMW still honor the warranty?

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2017, 09:50:38 am »
Ran Liqui Moly in my XChallenge as well and I agree... it ran cooler and quieter with that than the Shell it ran before
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Buffel B

• BMW R1200 GSA LC
« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2017, 10:36:37 am »

Interesting Blingking...Are you a registered service agent with BMW? ie if i service my LC with you would BMW still honor the warranty?
Volg die Renoster-metode : "Kop-af en beur-vorentoe"

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2017, 01:38:12 pm »

No Squire - I only tackle bikes out of warranty - I ran a Beemer Dealership for 5 years but couldn't carry that one over sadly  :thumleft:
Our quality is our key!

Offline OomD

« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2017, 01:51:40 pm »

Wait wait wait... the LC only has 2 sparkplugs? The older aircooled had 4...

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #197 on: March 08, 2017, 02:32:55 pm »

You are absolutely correct - serious typo there.......wait - does that mean I actually made a profit somewhere along the line......nah couldn't be, is it possible? Boooyyaaaaaa I am off to get myself a farm in the Melsetter!!!!!   :laughing4: :laughing4: :thumleft: :laughing4:
Our quality is our key!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2017, 05:51:57 pm »

You are absolutely correct - serious typo there.......wait - does that mean I actually made a profit somewhere along the line......nah couldn't be, is it possible? Boooyyaaaaaa I am off to get myself a farm in the Melsetter!!!!!   :laughing4: :laughing4: :thumleft: :laughing4:

I am a-gonna come an killya!  I have been searching for the extra two plugs for &(*&(*( days!!!!  (Didn't want to argue with the great BlingKing without proof).   :imaposer:
.#BRADICAL!

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2017, 09:59:02 am »

I am a-gonna come an killya!  I have been searching for the extra two plugs for &(*&(*( days!!!!  (Didn't want to argue with the great BlingKing without proof).   :imaposer:

I took them out and filled the holes with pool cue tips - I have them here - you can fetch when you come for your Bling.....or just add cue chalk!!!!
Our quality is our key!