What makes for a better adventure rider?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best philosophy for Adventure riding:

• Better safe than sorry...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No risk, no glory!

• This is beyond my scope of riding. I won't cross the border anyway

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Ama ride ride said:
The best adv riders are those who take the least risk and are prepared for everything. Indepedent

A pretty controversial statement considering the different type of riders on this forum.
What makes a better adventure rider? The rider who takes the risk or the person who plays it safe?

Imagine riding in a foreign country far from home, perhaps halfway through Africa or a RTW:
Do you take the road marked on your map as 4x4 only! after the locals warned you not to?
Do you stick to a road you know will get you to next fuelling point intact and on schedule?

Is it worth the possible broken bike to pursue that awesome route and photograph what no one has yet done?
Or do you tell yourself that taking a chance on being stranded is not worth the risk out here in the wilderness?

Can you ever be fully prepared? Probably not. But can you ever be prepared enough and should you even try?

Lastly: There is no ?a bit of both? option on the poll because motorcycle riding is by it?s very nature a risk and even the greatest of daredevils know what should and what should'nt be done.
I think it has already been determined that there are no moffies or basket cases amongst us.