Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 690 guys. How is it on the highway/breakfast run type setting  (Read 672 times)

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
I have a 990 SM-T
The thing kinda scares the crap outta me and I ride it very carefully as a result. It's a brilliant brilliant BRILLIANT bike but I am a bit of a noob and dont use half the things power except for the occasional wheelie.

I really like the 690 SMC but would obviously have to sell the 990 to afford one. I ride mostly just around town and that on weekends, I dont commute and just ride for fun. However I would like to cruise out to Harties now and then and explore the roads out there, cradle rd, satellite rd etc

How is the 690 for that sort of thing? Are you wringing it's neck the whole time? Can you cruise ok at like 140?

Comments appreciated  ;)

Offline Bram

• Bike: Beta (all models)
Re: 690 guys. How is it on the highway/breakfast run type setting
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:08:47 pm »
I cant comment on what the 690 smc feels like but is have the 690 enduro r. Im quite a tall guy and i have to say the bike is very comfortable apart from the seat that is. Maybe the seat on the smc is better but i doubt it. I have done an 800k tar drive in one day when i went to the bash last year and only then the knees were starting to feel it. But for a breakfast run i would think the smc would be allot of fun. My bike cruises comfortably at 140 more comfortable then my dakar i had before. But then again i dont know what the smaller tyres on the smc will do. Hope it helps

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 02:32:14 pm »
I cant comment on what the 690 smc feels like but is have the 690 enduro r. Im quite a tall guy and i have to say the bike is very comfortable apart from the seat that is. Maybe the seat on the smc is better but i doubt it. I have done an 800k tar drive in one day when i went to the bash last year and only then the knees were starting to feel it. But for a breakfast run i would think the smc would be allot of fun. My bike cruises comfortably at 140 more comfortable then my dakar i had before. But then again i dont know what the smaller tyres on the smc will do. Hope it helps

Thanks man.

It seems the 2011 SMC i was after is no longer for sale anyway so I'm "Stuck" with my 990....not a bad thing though :biggrin:

I think I'm going to save up till I can look at a newer SMC-R

Offline M3X3Z3

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 07:59:05 pm »
Last I looked, Keith the KTM RaceWorx service manager at Clearwater Mall was selling his 2013 690 SMC.
He should be able to fill you in.
He came from a 690 Enduro and wants to return there

Far as I know, the 2012+ 690's were quite an improvement on the earlier models.
Honda XR250  Husqvarna TE630  Husqvarna SM630  KTM 690

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 11:40:48 am »
Last I looked, Keith the KTM RaceWorx service manager at Clearwater Mall was selling his 2013 690 SMC.
He should be able to fill you in.
He came from a 690 Enduro and wants to return there

Far as I know, the 2012+ 690's were quite an improvement on the earlier models.

If someone gives me R80k for my SMT I can afford that one.  But otherwise not really.  WOuld love it!