Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Looking to buy a DRZ 400 - Some questions and advice please  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Distronium

Looking to buy a DRZ 400 - Some questions and advice please
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:20:08 pm »
Hi All

I am looking to buy a drz 400. It was a toss-up between a 690, 640,  x-challange and a dr 650. The DRZ is the lightest of the bunch, handles well (from what i saw on youtube) and quite a few people have done RWTs on them. They seem easy and cheap to maintain and very reliable. More than 1/2 of the price of a 690.

On olx, gumtree etc. there are a few for sale and range between 20k- 35k. Now the lower end of the price seem to be bikes without indicators etc (the E model?). So if i got one of those, to put it through road worthy would need to get indicators, rear light etc. would that be possible and/or an expensive exercise?

To date I have owned a 1200 GSA and KTM 990 as far as DS bikes go. Since I like to solo ride/ tour, I have found those bikes just to heavy for all terrain dirt ridding.

Thanks

Offline madmax

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
Re: Looking to buy a DRZ 400 - Some questions and advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:24:45 pm »
as an owner ..if you want to tour big distances go for dr or klr etc.. if you wanna have fun on shorter distances , not carry too much kit and have fun then go drz ..i love it and even commute some days on mine cos is so awesome ..but 1000k days on tar even 500k days mixed i use my gs but a jol for sunday in canals or something like that drz..did i say its fun..
ps e stands for electric (i think) ie no kick start and has lights and indicators etc as standard ...
fornicate the proletariat

Offline Louis Photo

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 05:44:48 pm »
Hi All

I am looking to buy a drz 400. It was a toss-up between a 690, 640,  x-challange and a dr 650. The DRZ is the lightest of the bunch, handles well (from what i saw on youtube) and quite a few people have done RWTs on them. They seem easy and cheap to maintain and very reliable. More than 1/2 of the price of a 690.

On olx, gumtree etc. there are a few for sale and range between 20k- 35k. Now the lower end of the price seem to be bikes without indicators etc (the E model?). So if i got one of those, to put it through road worthy would need to get indicators, rear light etc. would that be possible and/or an expensive exercise?

To date I have owned a 1200 GSA and KTM 990 as far as DS bikes go. Since I like to solo ride/ tour, I have found those bikes just to heavy for all terrain dirt ridding.

Thanks

The later model E's came out with a rear sub-frame, indicators etc - this is the one you need to shop for.  I often do 450 - 550Km's a day, solo, through the Karoo on mine - thats what it's made for  :thumleft:  I prefer mid-range bikes, it's a fallacy that you need a big bike to travel. There's lots of examples of people who travelled continents, and the world, on DRZ's, many riders prefer smaller bikes.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:49:09 pm by Louis Photo »

Offline djhep

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:56:00 pm »
Hi...
I have both a dr650 and a drz400e.
The drz is more fun when it gets more technical due to it's lighter weight. It's also a pretty good do it all bike.
If you go for one, get one that is already road legal with indicators etc fitted

I only got my dr recently, but i'm already very suprised at how good it is as an all rounder.
It's MUCH better on the road than the drz, while still being really fun offroad.
For solo/riding touring, i would buy the dr and fit a long range tank.

Offline Distronium

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 06:21:04 am »
The later model E's came out with a rear sub-frame, indicators etc - this is the one you need to shop for.  I often do 450 - 550Km's a day, solo, through the Karoo on mine - thats what it's made for  :thumleft:  I prefer mid-range bikes, it's a fallacy that you need a big bike to travel. There's lots of examples of people who travelled continents, and the world, on DRZ's, many riders prefer smaller bikes.

Thanks guys for the response :thumleft:

The above  thinking I am finding for me applicable. That's the reason why I am going for a smaller bike. The GSA and 990 are both excellent bikes but lighter is always better. Makes life allot easier. When I used to do trackdays this was true and for offroad riding I'm coming to the same conclusion.

I have way more fun on the smaller, lighter bikes.

Plus mtbiker has an absolutely brilliant mod that gives the bike that awesome Dakar look.  ;D

Offline Brodes

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:19:13 am »
Hi...
I have both a dr650 and a drz400e.
The drz is more fun when it gets more technical due to it's lighter weight. It's also a pretty good do it all bike.
If you go for one, get one that is already road legal with indicators etc fitted

I only got my dr recently, but i'm already very suprised at how good it is as an all rounder.
It's MUCH better on the road than the drz, while still being really fun offroad.
For solo/riding touring, i would buy the dr and fit a long range tank.

Have to agree 100% with the above.
I also am lucky (smart?) enough own both and prefer the DR for mixed touring. Much more comfortable on the tar sections (I live in the big smoke, there is always tar to get to the good bits) and more than capable enough for what one is likely to encounter on adventure riding. The weight difference is not huge (24kg wet claimed) - a little more than a tank full of fuel when you get down to it.
I have also added a long range tank to the DRZ and still plan a longer trip on it to really compare it to the DR (maybe another Kruger fences ride), but if I had to chose between the two for adventure riding, I would get the DR first.
If you do get the DRZ, be sure to get a street legal one (ie with lights, indicators, etc) that has papers - otherwise you will likely pick up problems getting your bike registered.
Hinc Orior
R1200R
R1200GS
DR650SE, DRZ400E, 300XC-W, CR230F, Montesa Cota 315 R

Offline Distronium

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 09:22:16 am »
Hi

Going to look at a 2010 drz tomorrow hopefully. He wants 32k. How is that for a price?

Offline Louis Photo

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:48 am »
Hi

Going to look at a 2010 drz tomorrow hopefully. He wants 32k. How is that for a price?

I paid R30k for 2010 model with 10 000k's registered and on the road, seller wanted R32k. Sound like the going rate.

Offline Distronium

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:37 pm »
Hi

I paid R30k for 2010 model with 10 000k's registered and on the road, seller wanted R32k. Sound like the going rate.

Cool thanks :thumleft:

Bike also has about 10k kms on the clock as well. Aftermarket pipe and handgaurds (not sure if this is standard). Looks like in a good condition too. Will see tomorrow ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:16:12 pm by Distronium »

Offline Louis Photo

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:20:23 pm »
Hi

Bike also has about 10k kms on the clock as well. Aftermarket pipe and handgaurds (not sure if this is standard). Looks like in a good condition too. Will see tomorrow ;)

Handguards is not standard, I paid about R1000 for my Zeta guards. Aftermarket pipe can be pricey also...do you know what brand of pipe?

Offline Distronium

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 01:38:37 pm »
Hi

Handguards is not standard, I paid about R1000 for my Zeta guards. Aftermarket pipe can be pricey also...do you know what brand of pipe?

Cool so that's a bonus. No idea unfortunatley...cant see from the pics, hope its not a tuna blikkie ;)

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 02:13:01 pm »
The only thing that I think of adding, and I use mine for the same reason you want to use it for is to add a more comfortable seat for the longer trips. i have done close to 78K km  :thumleft: on my DRZ (Had it from new). I also use it for commuting (and playing  ;D). The only issues that I had was with a stator. I have also replaced the piston, valve seals and re-nikasiled the cyclinder at 65K km when I did the cam chain
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline Distronium

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 07:37:56 am »
Hi

Cool thanks. Will think on a seat. I have an air hawk seat that I will try as well.

That's excellent mileage. I think for the price of the bike you get such a good machine. Same goes for the dr 650.

It's a pity I did not notice the drz last year when I bough the 990. I loved the 990 and compared to the GSA felt like 50;) but after 7000 kms through all types of terrain I came to realise it was still to big.

As one poster said....thinking you need a big adventure bike is a fallacy.

Offline Distronium

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 06:58:44 pm »
Hi All

Well I bought the bike today :)

Its a 2010 "" model. With hand guards and fmf  pipe as extras.  Paid 27k.

10200 KMs on the clock.

Just one thing: When I took it for a ride everything felt great.  Only afterwards on my way home I thought about when I was going through the gears. Going up it was fairly smooth and coming down as well, but coming down through the gears I needed to give a fairly firm jab with my foot- Esp from 2nd to 1st.  Is that normal? I can only compare to my GSA and 990 and they were allot more slicker. It went into neutral easily.

Other than that it is in good condition. Pulled well from standstill. Engine made good power. Started from cold no problem. Suspension felt fine. Breaks no issue. No scratches on body work. Used mainly as a commuter.

Offline Louis Photo

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 07:32:28 pm »
Sound like a very good deal you got there  :thumleft: with regards to the shifting, my bike struggled to go into neutral when I first got it her, after some searching on Google figured out that it was clutch adjustment.

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 07:45:59 pm »
Hi All

Well I bought the bike today :)

Its a 2010 "" model. With hand guards and fmf  pipe as extras.  Paid 27k.

10200 KMs on the clock.

Just one thing: When I took it for a ride everything felt great.  Only afterwards on my way home I thought about when I was going through the gears. Going up it was fairly smooth and coming down as well, but coming down through the gears I needed to give a fairly firm jab with my foot- Esp from 2nd to 1st.  Is that normal? I can only compare to my GSA and 990 and they were allot more slicker. It went into neutral easily.

Other than that it is in good condition. Pulled well from standstill. Engine made good power. Started from cold no problem. Suspension felt fine. Breaks no issue. No scratches on body work. Used mainly as a commuter.

That sounds like a very good price  :thumleft: check clutch adjustment
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline Distronium

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 09:10:43 pm »
Cool. Thanks guys  :thumleft:

I hope its a good deal at the end of the day myself ;)

Will play around with the clutch adjustment and see if that improves the feel. I would be very surprised if there is a major issue. I had a look at the oil and it was clean and clear. So engine is in good condition. Serviced about 1500 kms ago.

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 09:16:56 pm »
Congrats!
Peeeekcha's!   :ricky:

Offline Distronium

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 06:10:47 pm »
Pickthas soon;)

I adjusted the clutch cable and now it's nice and slick. So no worries there :thumleft:

Except I Atached my zumo 660 today. Not sure what I did but I flattened the battery ???

Not sure if its that or the rear indicators. They were a bit loose so I was fiddling around with them and tightened them. Could be that too.

Have charged the battery ( did not take long. 2 hrs) and reconnected the leads but have left the zumo leads unattached. Will see tomorrow if the battery is drained again.

I hope it's that cause if it's the zumo....that's more painful. >:(

Offline Distronium

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 09:41:42 pm »
Here are some pics of the bike.

First one was when I bought it and I had just put it on the trailer

Second one is about 100kms outside JHB. The bike handles really well. For such a budget bike I am way impressed. Allot more fun (actually way more fun) in thick sand than my previous heavier bikes. I got 23km/l - dunno if that's great or not but I aint complainin....

Not as comfortable especially on the highway though. Anything above 90 the bike gets real buzzy and I feel the vibrations allot through the foot pegs and handle bars. But it is a single so....has anyone done anything specific to reduce the vibrations, especially through the handle bars? Wish it had a 6th gear....

I have put in a set of T63s. I find I gel real well with Michelin tyres and I had a T63 on the front of my 990. They work great on tar and in the dirt I have no complaints.

Seat is a plank ;) but i have an air-hawk seat that was good for 4 hours yesterday on dirt roads.  I also set the suspension up in the middle of all the ranges (except for high speed damping, that I set on the softest)  as a starting base. That helped with the sore butt as well. But ergonomics wise I find it great. I'm 6' 1" and I was not cramped at all on the bike. The previous owner installed bar raisers ( a bonus since I was going to do that anyway) so standing was fine as well

So five more things I want to do to the bike:

- Put on a dakar style fairing. Mtbiker has an awesome one and so that Is the one I'm looking to add.
- Long range tank (to go with the above screen)
- Service the suspension ( bike is 4 years old) and maybe upgrade springs to progressive springs and also for my weight.
- Carrier rack
- Maybe a battery since that seemed to be the reason why it went flat. So far its starting so will wait to see if its really the battery...

All in all I am very happy with the bike. I will miss the GSA and 990. They are absolutely brilliant bikes. 

I think the DRZ are very underrated. The only bike I can compare it to is the 690 (I took 2 for a test drive and played in the sand with one of them).

The 690 has more power and I think was more smoother above 100km/ph. At my skill level on the dirt and in thick sand I found them very close to each other. Maybe the 690 was a bit better cause the front felt allot lighter and the tank is at the back. But the drz feels really solid at the front and I like that. Plus...27k Vs. 70k+....no contest!

And the DRZ I think is easier to modify for long range touring.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:11:25 pm by Distronium »