Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: hard decision to make... trip across Africa  (Read 2575 times)

Offline rombo

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • :
    • my travel site
hard decision to make... trip across Africa
« on: April 25, 2014, 10:17:52 am »
hello.

Im now in JHB planning to make a trip across africa.

two questions:

1] i'm going for the F800. found one fully kitted for 100000 R with 25 mil 2009.
it has tons of extras and just ready for long trip.

i'm not familiar with the market here.
do you think it's a good price?

2] do you think i will be able to sell it in Ethiopia?
does any one have any experience with selling bike in Ethiopia/ kenya/ ugnda?

With best regards
Rom

Get updated on my page:
www.facebook.com/romboroad
or
my travel site www.Romboroad.com

Offline Ysterman

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: hard decision to make... trip across Africa
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:29:24 pm »
Hi Rom,

1.  I think the R100k price is reasonable - but depends on the condition of the bike, and what that tons of extras is.  It seems from your post that you can just get on, fill the tank & start your trip.  Then its not that bad.  From what I can see on the internet, some of the 2008/2009 bikes go around R80k, but then they dont seem fully kitted out & with higher mileage.  Is the bike in JHB?

2.  I have no idea sorry

Good luck  :thumleft:

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 12:41:11 am »
Selling in any country other than the one where it is titled is problematic. Do a lot of checking on this prior to leaving. Check with "Jungle Junction" in Nairobi. He should be able to tell you if it can be done. Most of these countries have high import tax and they want to make sure they get it. Best bet would be to sell to someone wanting to ride it back down to SA. Even taking it on to Europe could be a problem where you would need to document that it met EU standards. My 1/2 cent worth is to make a loop and end up back in SA where you can make arrangements to sell.

Have a great ride

:ricky:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Alpine Al

• You dont stop playin 'cause you get old, you get old 'cause you stop playin.
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If life throws you lemons reach for the tequila!!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 05:54:37 pm »
1) In my opinion, if fully kitted, seems fair.

2) As previously suggested, easier to get it back here, expecialy since one would normaly fly to or out of JHB anyway.
I would suggest you ask Jo Rust this question though, she knows the beat there now.

Happy travels.
Bike history : Honda 50cc, Yamaha 175 DT, Honda 200R, Honda XL 500, Yamaha YZ 465, Yamaha IT490 CURENT BIKES: Honda CRF 450R, GS 1200. PRESENT BIKES : KTM 525 Street legal,  and BMW GSA.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!!

Offline 2up Adventures

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:19:31 pm »
If you intend to sell it in Kenya there would be a market if the price is right, BUT you have to get JEVIK certificates and police clearance in SA before you leave there AND will have to pay duty when you bring it into Kenya.  We just bought a Tenere XT660Z in SA and rode it up to Nairobi last month with two others.  Duty is expensive - around 250,000-300,000 ksh (up to 36,000R) so you would not make any profit (and probably a loss).  Depends how much you want the adventure and if shipping it back to SA is viable.

Our fully Touratech equipped bike (2009) cost less that 60,000R but don't know the BMW prices :)

Hope that helps!

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 02:37:35 pm »
All sound advice. I imported a brand new bike from SA and wanted to take it back. Surprise! SA wants duty and VAT, again and after I paid dearly in Tanzania. With an export permit you need an  Interpol clearance, not normal SAPS. Every border will give you tons of Africa crap as you are "in transit" and nobody knows what to do with you. You also have to de register the bike in SA, thus no registration plates, major issues. Should you not have been exposed to Africa please be reminded, SA is not part of the real Africa. You can take it out of SA on a Carne, obtainable from the AA, nice big fat deposit but no issue at border posts and you claim back the deposit when you biting back the vehicle to SA. Sell it somewhere else and lose the deposit. You also pay an annual fee depending on the number of coupons required. We have a Land Rover in Tanzania on a Carne and no trouble, once renewed. Good luck and have a great trip
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline trevorwb

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Warning Labels are only recommendations
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 04:00:13 pm »
Just a thought.Would it not pay you buy a more Africa orientated ,cheaper and lighter bike eg.XR ,KLR .Surely this would be easier to offload at the end.And not to many questions asked re. Paperwork.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:37:26 am by trevorwb »