GKG 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyHarry

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
2014-04-291415433.jpg

The GKG is one of those events that all Airheads are looking forward to every year. It’s a bunch of dedicated fans of the yesteryear technology and style. Most people don’t get it why we are actually so mad about these old bikes. Some owners talk about the soul these bikes have, if that is at all possible. Despite the rather moderate power output they are not boring to ride and have enough temperament to keep you busy. The old technology is mostly bulletproof but the bikes do need a regular tune up and some tinkering to keep them on the road.

I am the first to admit that these old boxer engines can drive you mad. There are very few workshops knowledgeable enough to work on these bikes and most owners are forced to get their own hands dirty. That alone is a good thing and gives you a chance to bond with your bike on a regular base. You better learn all the little tricks or these bikes will drive you nuts. Many times I have been close enough to shift my passion to more reliable or more powerful options. So far I have resisted to go over to the dark side and instead have worked hard to make one of these old ladies to perform well enough to keep up with the modern technology bikes on tar and dirt if the need arises.

Looks can be deceiving, this old lady has got gusto.
2014-04-06162713.jpg

There are a few reasons the yearly GKG gatherings are so popular. Most importantly we do have a chairman! Lorenzo doesn’t only cheer us on, he also does live what he preaches. Airheads ueber alles! He organizes, motivates, sends out reminders, brings likeminded people together and throws himself in the mix as well. He is our godfather so to speak.
So if the chairman announces a gathering the most dedicated G/S owners don’t even ask for the details, they just pitch, knowing that this event will be bigger and better than the one before.

I did ask myself why on earth a Lone Ranger like me does follow this bunch of nostalgic bike owners so willingly. Most of them prefer to travel at a rather moderate pace and don’t go through a puddle of water if they can drive around it. It’s not that they can’t go faster or that they are not adventurous enough. I think they just feel sorry for their old bikes most of the time. On top of it, they do have plenty of smoke breaks along the way and tend stop for a beer at every waterhole. In the beginning I thought this way of biking is a bit odd, but when I came to my senses I started to appreciate that they enjoy biking at a slower pace than most of us are used to.
The chairman announced that the Cape Town crowd should meet two days earlier, to tackle the distance to our gathering in the Kloof at a more leisurely pace and to see some interesting places along the way. I did not ask too many questions as I already knew the organizing skills of our chairman. Let the fun begin.

SAM_3847.jpg