KLE500 starting issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickza

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
Since the day I got my KLE it's occasionally made a grinding noise when trying to start. Figured it was the starter or starter clutch that was on its way out and I'd attend to it when I got some spare time (which I have yet to find  :p ). Fast forward to last weekend when the girlfriends Yamaha BWS100 wouldnt start and the only thing around was my KLE. Started the KLE and quickly jumped the BWS and we were good to go.

Later that afternoon I got on the bike to ride home and I just get a click when pressing the starter. Headlights everything come on as per normal. Quick run start and it fires up instantly and I rode home. Been fine again for another 3 days or so, rode to work (10km's) rode home (10km's) then rode to the girlfriends place (+-12km) and after leaving it outside her house for about an hour I jump on to move it inside and click. Took the seat off checked all the terminals to the battery and starter relay were tight, removed the battery and put it on charge for a few hours, still just clicks. Roll it in to the street and run start it, starts instantly then if you turn it off it will start again instantly.

Relay dieing? or starter motor? Some suggestions online say if it does it again rock it in first or second gear then try which seems to suggest the starter not returning correctly.