Planning a DS weekend, KZN "Blue Haze Bush & Berg", early August.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpine Al

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Having organised a few DS adventures for mates and BMW Club weekends I realised that there are a lot of people keen to attend these type of events. They do take a lot of planning (including getting permission from private land owners, tribal leaders etc), expecially if you are planning to take to the forrest roads, trails and roads less travelled.
The plan is to "set up" 4 rides, two pillion friendly and not too technical but scenic and no racing, and two routes on mixed surfaces with some rather technical "red" sections.

I have realised that some guys have racing in their blood (probably from racing enduros in our youth), and others who wisely keep within their skills level without taking chances, we also ride a range of bikes suited to differing terrain so we have decided to do the following:

Max 60 bikes
No more than 30 on the red route.
One pillion friendly route will be ridden each day and one red route.
Each route will be lead by someone who knows the route and landowners.
Each ride will be split into groups of 4 to 6 riders to "buddy" eachother and in order to reduce bottlenecks and dust.
The last group on the ride to sweep.
Red route riders can race certain sections.
Routes will be downloadable and markers will be visible.

We know that our sport is about getting to the destination, spending time with friends, having a party and RIDING AWESOME ROADS AND TRAILS. So we will be laying on entertainment on the Saturday night and a DS Gymkana on the Sunday morning.

Due to the fact that we will be filling our accommodation we will not be charging anything for the entertainment, planning etc. Accommodation varies from 6 sleeper self careters to luxurious honeymoon suites, so should fit most budgets.

Let me know what you think guys, its going to happen anyway but your positive input will be appreciated.

Planned dates: Arrival Thursday 31st July, ride Friday 1st and Sat 2nd August, home Sunday 3rd.
4 hours from JHB, Two Hours from Durban and 3minutes off the N3. www.bluehaze.co.za