Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Offroad: Which adventure bike is best?  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Straatkat

Re: Offroad: Which adventure bike is best?
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2014, 02:39:25 pm »
All the bikes here are way too heavy for a Maraisburg ride, which is mostly plastic territory. Unless of course you carry a skyhook to winch the bike upright should you fall over! Right out of the blocks there are some hectic whoop-de-doo's and some very narrow donga's....just saying.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2014, 03:30:18 pm »
I just looked at some of the footage we took of the ride. There's a GSA and a 1190R climbing a mine dump, and both of them ramping further than the Germans or the Austrians probably meant them to.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2014, 06:03:08 pm »
 :useless:

Actually, I don' t believe it. I want to see the evidence.  >:D
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2014, 06:37:02 pm »
I just looked at some of the footage we took of the ride. There's a GSA and a 1190R climbing a mine dump, and both of them ramping further than the Germans or the Austrians probably meant them to.
And then sold as low km demo bikes....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2014, 06:38:47 pm »

Since ramps form the core of every real adventure ride this is very important information, especially the landings  :thumleft:

Offline K-9

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2014, 12:44:44 pm »
Which adventure bike is best?

What is best?  I often get asked which 4x4 or DS bike is “BEST“

Best for what.  One again best for what! 

How do you ride? and one up or with your wife; what roads – gravel or no roads?

Best for riding single tracks, crossing deep rivers, one up, on roads that don’t exist, etc.

Or best for going through Africa single or with pillion.

Or best for taking a nice ride from Durban to cape town going up and down every gravel pass with my wife.  For me only one choice a GSA1200 LC.

Or doing the exact same route to ct one up and ride like a hooligan. I would possibly take a KTM.

And did you notice “for me” different strokes for different folks.

So one again what is BEST.

The best is not necessary the most popular.   The most popular could be the best.

Land rover the “best”: 4x4 by far. Personnel preference.  I have no land rover but 4 Toyota 4x4’s, but LR is still best, why - I was involved with the camel trophy.

For me the GSA1200 LC is the “best”, but then I don’t do dirt tracks, I do any gravel road, that suits me the BEST. 

Best for my daughter is a GS800, best for my son is a GSA1200, why cos they are my old bikes and they got them a best price.

So what’s best? 

Define BEST.

BEST I stop playing on the pc and go watch the best rugby team; go the sharks.
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2014, 01:38:31 pm »

Best for riding single tracks, crossing deep rivers, one up, on roads that don’t exist, etc.

Or best for taking a nice ride from Durban to cape town going up and down every gravel pass with my wife.  For me only one choice a GSA1200 LC.

Or doing the exact same route to ct one up and ride like a hooligan. I would possibly take a KTM.

The best is not necessary the most popular.   The most popular could be the best.

Land rover the “best”: 4x4 by far. Personnel preference.  I have no land rover but 4 Toyota 4x4’s, but LR is still best, why - I was involved with the camel trophy.

For me the GSA1200 LC is the “best”, but then I don’t do dirt tracks, I do any gravel road, that suits me the BEST. 

Best for my daughter is a GS800, best for my son is a GSA1200, why cos they are my old bikes and they got them a best price.

So what’s best? 

Define BEST.

you were making sense... right up until your last line. Then you threw it all away.  :deal:  :pot:  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Botes

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2014, 02:34:26 pm »
K-9
Stem Saam met jou. N men's se eie bike is die beste dis hoe kom jy hom gekoop het. En stem Saam met jou lasted sin.  :pot: :laughing4:
Botes

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2014, 02:47:12 pm »
Did the ADV-Pulse quizz to find the "best"bike for me and it came back with a KTM 640...not too far from my Husky610.
Myself I lost K9 about halfway through! And since when does helmets play rugby????
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2014, 10:28:59 pm »

So what’s best? 

Define BEST.

Perhaps you should read the first post again. Particularly the part where I say exactly what we did.  O0