-Riding in a Dead man's Jacket-

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tau

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
This is my unplanned ride to Namibia and back.

Riding in a Dead man’s Jacket.

In life many of the best things come as a surprise. Many a time one can be faced with a problem and then the route going forward is yours.
1. Do I sit on a heap and cry and feel sorry for myself?
2. Do something else, make a plan stay positive and keep moving on.
I was meant to partake in the Namaqua Rallye from 25 April – 3 May. However worked mixed into my life… and I had to withdraw my entry and thus losing my deposit, luckily SteveD got me a rider to fill my spot and not lose my entry fee deposit. Then work decided that I could be of during that time and I never retracted my leave request and everything was still on for me to not be at work during that time as I would have been on training.
Anyhow. I decided to go to Namibia with my bakkie and go help on a Game farm near Windhoek and visit one or two friends, but nothing “touring” like. However On the morning of the 25 April the Namibian Police service released a statement that they would not allow any rifle across their borders until 1 Mei when the hunting season for normal Game farms open. Even thou I was hunting on fully registered / enclosed farms they still would not let me come in at Noordoewer with a rifle. I was supposed to leave that afternoon. This was after 10 days of talking to them and confirming that they would let me cross.
Anyway 11:30 and my entire plan was busted. My dad heard of my predicament and offered me the use of his BMW R1200GSA or better known as B.O.F (Block of Flats). I fetch the bike during my lunch break and removed my dad’s panniers end started searching for my tyre repair kit and the rest of my biking/camping gear. As I don’t have a DS bike at the moment. After Work I scratched around for one or two small thing and realized I was happy I was going on a bike.

The next morning I said goodbye to the wife and kids and ready to leave on my journey when my wife entered the kitchen with her late fathers BMW Enduro jacket. It was the same jacket he has crashed and passed away in. She wanted me to use the jacket. At first I said no as I knew how much it meant to her. She however wanted me to take the jacket on a trip. It switched something inside me into soulful journey mode. I accepted the jacket and removed my Alpinestar jacket and body armor.
They left and I returned to my camping gear and grabbed a few morning items like a gas cooker, tent, CO2 bombs, hand pump, some extra tools and my PLB (personal locator beacon) and extra clothes. I was now loaded like a proper firs timer when you looked at my bike, but the reality was I was secretly prepped for Solo riding. My side panniers was almost empty just clothes and some snacks.

I left and stopped off at Vaalbaas just to hear if he wouldn’t join me.

IMG_5875_zpsbb851e9c.jpg

I took the tar all the way to Springbok none stop to get out of the cold and road stops. $78km later I stopped at Springbok lodge for a Brunch and a chocolate milkshake. I leisurely went to OK grocer got two 2 liter water bottles 3 x 500ml cokes some biscuits, tuna, and wine gums and energy jellies. The plan was to sleep at Ai-Ais and then on to Windhoek the next day, however my natural Solo rider instincts took over when I was in the shop. I also got a fat steak and sweet corn for my braai at Ai-Ais. I arrived at the SA border and sailed in and out when I arrived at the Namibian side………I was greeted with this.

Two hours and 30 min later I was done. And lost so much time. I went to the engen filled up on fuel and got a MTC cellphone card and some airtime. I was now fitted with two cellphones and a PLB for emergencies for Solo Riding. I took the bottom road to Ai-Ais and loved the gravel under me and the BOF was running like a steam train. I was in Nam on gravel with a bike. It has been 3 long years and I only realized it know.

IMG_5877_zps6baf7816.jpg

IMG_5880_zpsab2f5925.jpg

Why have I waited so long to be doing what God put me on this earth to do?????
- Ride a bike on gravel roads with a hint of sand at speeds higher than safe wearing a dead man’s jacket singing songs that don’t exist whilst screaming when I enter a corner too fast and exit it like a freaking legend-
Yes people I was in my church. I grabbed another handful of throttle and the rear stepped out at 140km/h around an off-camber turn. The BMW R1200GSA had just left the B.O.F name in South Africa we became one dirt road riding entity. The kind that waved at other bikers and pedestrians. The kind that enjoyed the vista’s and yet enjoyed the gravel more. Yes I was in biker synergy. I realized that this was no time to ride to Windhoek and go stay on the greatest Game Farm ever, no this was a time to ride.

I booked in at Ai-Ais greeting the old staff that I know by name because of my wife that love the place so much. I pitched camp and went for a swim, made a fire had some drink spoke some shite with the other
travelers, but best of all I started planning a route in my head. My OK grocer steak turned out to be brilliant. The beer was also not bad and life was great.

IMG_5882_zpsb8931e99.jpg

IMG_5883_zpsb86e73c6.jpg

Day 2 Ai-Ais - Somewhere
Next morning 6;30 I was packed and ready to leave. I filled up with fuel and set my eyes north to Canon Roadhouse. The roads was super smooth and I enjoyed the early morning ride. I waved as I passed one of my late Father in-laws farm’s his jacket had once again passed on these road. I couldn’t believe how green the desert was and the views even more beautiful than ever. Not 10km out of Ai-Ais I started seeing Springbok on the side of the road. It was very quickly becoming apparent that the tall grass was going to be a HUGE problem as you don’t see the animals next to the road. High speeds and solo riding is never a good plan. I needed to take the speed down for safety and did.
IMG_5888_zps79d06e2e.jpg

IMG_5893_zps1e0a11e9.jpg

IMG_5895_zps52476105.jpg

IMG_5897_zps8322661d.jpg

I stopped at Canon Roadhouse for a cup of coffee and a quick toilet break.

IMG_5899_zpsf607a6bc.jpg

IMG_5900_zps281e9806.jpg

I left the lodge and in the next 15km there was Oryx, Springbok and Hartebeest in the road. This was awesome riding with great views and sights. I road from here to Seeheim on the tar to Bethanie where I picked up the dirt for the last stretch to Helmeringhausen. Here I had a quick sarmie and some more coffee as it was a little early for beer. I filled up my fuel tank and klapped a right outside of town going north and not left as usual as time was a factor…….Here I decided that it would be nice to sleep in Swakopmund tonight, but Solitaire is probably a better option to stay tonight. I got on the road to Maltehoe and really got into a nice rhythm with the boxer humming away running across the desert like a fat kid with a barrel of KFC= Let’s not think of the consequences lets just enjoy the moment and twist the throttle. I arrived at Solitaire and it felt like the entire world was there. Q for fuel and German tourist behaving like they had never seen so many people. I had a Sharmie and made a phone call to friends in Swakop.

IMG_5903_zpsb0b334ed.jpg

The plan was if they are home I would ask if I could stay there if not I would go North somewhere like the Khomas Hochland area or something. They answered the phone and asked me where I was sleeping tonight? I answered …Ek weet nog nie. So they offered me a bed. So I got kitted and went on my way towards Walvisbaai.

IMG_5907_zpsc4c22638.jpg

IMG_5908_zpsc3877f11.jpg

IMG_5912_zpsddd3bf40.jpg

IMG_5914_zps5bf14469.jpg

IMG_5917_zps41d399a0.jpg

IMG_5919_zps9356ab81.jpg

The veld was GREEEEEEEEEN and the Ugab en Kuiseb Canyons resembled the Scottish highlands. I ran down these roads a little faster as I knew there was spots with less animals and I was getting gatvol. I really enjoyed the passes with their climbs and I felt like Picasso drawing on the dirt roads with my rear wheel. Leaving my art for the rest of the world to C. I was displaying my love off destroying rear tires. The last 150km from the KUiseb to Walvis was a little boring and the thought of cold beer at the Swakop Brauhouse was pulling me towards Swakop at an alarming rate. I blitzed past Walvis and Langstrand straight to one of my favorite places in the world Swakop Brauhouse. Unfortunately for me they were closed!!!!!!!! It was Sunday afternoon. I got to our friends house at 16:45 915km later which only 120km was tar the rest was awesome gravel. The BMW had once again shown that for desert crossing with her 34l tank and low down grunt it is the long distance Gravel riding champion. Oh I passed a KTM 990R. I waved, but no return…….must be a KTM thing. We had dinner at Bits and bites pizza and I must say one of the best pizza’s I have ever had.
I slept in a real bed and had a super nights rest a mere 50m from the ocean after a day crossing the Namib.
IMG_5923_zpsf94a76e8.jpg

IMG_5924_zps0b1d9046.jpg

IMG_5926_zps516cc431.jpg