Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: airfilter drained in petrol  (Read 1335 times)

Offline ZA

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Vini Vidi Vici
airfilter drained in petrol
« on: May 10, 2014, 05:41:44 pm »
Just stripped my DR to check my airfilter. It was filthy black and smelled heavy of petrol. Any reason for this? Some way to clean it? Or should I just chuck the filter away?

Offline Sharingroads

• Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
Re: airfilter drained in petrol
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 05:44:16 pm »
Stock paper filter? If so, chuck it, especially if you doing a service on bike.

Some of mine had a little fuel smell and some oil, but not heavy fuel smell yet. Not sure of cause.

Offline ZA

• Vini Vidi Vici
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 05:57:25 pm »
Stock paper filter? If so, chuck it, especially if you doing a service on bike.

Some of mine had a little fuel smell and some oil, but not heavy fuel smell yet. Not sure of cause.

Sponge filter. I am just dumb struck as to why...

Offline superfoxi

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Professional motorcycle and suspension services
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:16:02 pm »
Best is to use air filter cleaner and then wash out with soapy water (dish washing liquid works great). Then let dry and re-oil with air filter oil. Filter will be like new again.

Online Dux

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 06:17:36 pm »
Was the bottom of the filter quite soaked in fuel or did the filter just smell of petrol
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 06:20:35 pm »
Close your fuel tap when the bike is parked.
Bad needle and seat might cause your carb to overflow  perhaps draining into the airfilter or engine oil even.
I do not know the DR but just my line of thinking.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline ZA

• Vini Vidi Vici
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 06:23:52 pm »
Was the bottom of the filter quite soaked in fuel or did the filter just smell of petrol

Thanx superfoxi.

It was soaked at the bottom yes...

Offline Woestynhond

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 06:46:00 pm »
If you have the vacuum operated stock petcock never leave it on prime, its same  as leaving normal petcock open! If the rubber tip on needle and seat is damaged or hard from old age etc... there is a good chance that the fuel has drained into combustion chamber and seeped past rings into oil.
 Even a small amount of fuel in oil will affect the lubricating properties and cause heartache and empty wallet!

The air filter is slightly higher than intake manifold so fuel will go to intake side rather, unless bike is parked on uphill.
As a preventative measure do oil and filter change for peace of mind!
 There are some other causes like a very rich tuned carb that will cause a condition called loading but you should not worry about that!
and she said " What are you doin today ? ".
and I said " Nothing ".
and she said " But you did that yesterday ".
and I said "I haven`t finished yet ".

Offline ZA

• Vini Vidi Vici
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 01:30:46 am »
If you have the vacuum operated stock petcock never leave it on prime, its same  as leaving normal petcock open! If the rubber tip on needle and seat is damaged or hard from old age etc... there is a good chance that the fuel has drained into combustion chamber and seeped past rings into oil.
 Even a small amount of fuel in oil will affect the lubricating properties and cause heartache and empty wallet!

The air filter is slightly higher than intake manifold so fuel will go to intake side rather, unless bike is parked on uphill.
As a preventative measure do oil and filter change for peace of mind!
 There are some other causes like a very rich tuned carb that will cause a condition called loading but you should not worry about that!

Dankie woestynhond. Ek het dit perongeluk op prime gehad vir n paar km...

Offline Sharingroads

• Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 07:47:15 am »
So gaan kyk gou op die rak daar links van die counter is air filter cleaner. Skryf dit sommer af as 'n test product. Chris sal verstaan. :pot:

Offline ZA

• Vini Vidi Vici
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 11:49:58 am »
So gaan kyk gou op die rak daar links van die counter is air filter cleaner. Skryf dit sommer af as 'n test product. Chris sal verstaan. :pot:

Haha shhhhh....ek sal n oog gooi

Offline ZA

• Vini Vidi Vici
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 01:27:05 pm »
If I dont have any airfilter spray. How long can I go without it?

Offline Woestynhond

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 03:20:28 pm »
Jy kan selfs van jou enjin olie ook opsit op spons Die workshop manual verwys ook na een of ander graad v gewone olie vir filter.

Die feit dat die petrol verby needle en seat gekom het al is dit op prime is iets waarna jy moet kyk!  Sny daai carb se pens oop en ondersoek die needle , 2 klein o- rings en float level asook floats ook, n gaatjie of kraak in floats sal ook soortgelyke simtome veroorsaak.

Terwyl jy die carb oop het en die binnegoed na gaan vervang sommer daardie skroewe wat van marshmellows gemaak is J.I.S marshmellows nogal met hexagon kop menere asook die cap van diaphragm se skroewe dit gee jou die kans om seker te maak die carb is skoon ens...en sit n ou spring washertjie onder die nuwe skroewe dan hoef jy nie vir die incredible hulk te vra om hulle vas en los te draai nie! o ja pasop dat daardie klein o ring by vacuum pyp bo op carb nie verloor as jy cap afhaal nie.

My 2008 model was nogal geneig om snaakse dinge te doen as hy rowwe terein tee gekom het totdat ek die float level  ge fine tune het .
As jy n goeie handleiding wil he om carb te opereer google BST 40 bible alhoewel daar na die carb op KTM verwys word is die binne dinge identies behalwe vir die main jet se naald wat ander profiel het en dalk pilot em main jet wat verskil ( nie seker oor die jet nie maar onthou so iets)

Het jy n workshop manual? as jy nie het nie sal ek vir jou link stuur dan kan jy download.
and she said " What are you doin today ? ".
and I said " Nothing ".
and she said " But you did that yesterday ".
and I said "I haven`t finished yet ".

Offline arno

• Toppie......Gooi Mielies!!
    • http://www.princealbertcycles .co.za
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 04:02:45 pm »
Stuur my die link vir die manual asb ?
Fietse van die verlede: BMW F800GS ,BMW 1150 GS, Honda 305 cc, Honda 400 FOUR, Honda 550 FOUR, BMW 600/6 , DR 650

Tans:  Trapfiets

Offline ZA

• Vini Vidi Vici
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 07:13:37 pm »
Asb stuur die link. Dit sal def handig in kom.  :thumleft:

Offline fredda

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 04:49:42 am »
Hier is die link vir die manual en baie ander goed: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=25050.0
Current bike: 2011 BMW R1200R

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 09:17:00 am »
The filter looks as if some one used the old oil drained from the engine to oil the filter ??? Yuck!

I wash my filters with Prepsol and oil with FRESH engine oil.
If the filter was oiled with some of the sticky special filter oils (the ones from the bottle, NOT the aerosol spray) you will have to use petrol or special filter cleaners.
IMHO the use of the tacky filter oils is only meaningful in outboard engines on boats of people who like to reverse into a following sea or bikers who love to take their bike for a swim or are living in the Pacific NW, Scotland ort other high rainfall areas.  (The sticky stuff is more water repellent than engine oil. If a foam filter treated with engine oil is submerged the oil emulsifies and gets partially washed off).

After washing the filter with Prepsol you squeeze out the water and oil the filter straight away (yes, without drying!). Squeeze again and oh miracle! (actually not, rather physics :cheers: ) the water gets squeezed out and the oil remains in the foam. Fit and go.

I don't think the petrol came out of your carb, rather originates from the previous "service" of the filter.

If the filter is very oily (dripping) at the bottom nothing is necessarily wrong with the bike, it might just have been oiled too much.

Oil also sometimes gets thrown into the air box of the DR650SE if you dump the bike and don't cut the engine immediately.

Don't forget to remove and clean the little length of pipe and the plug from the bottom of the air box.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline ZA

• Vini Vidi Vici
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 09:30:26 am »
The filter looks as if some one used the old oil drained from the engine to oil the filter ??? Yuck!

I wash my filters with Prepsol and oil with FRESH engine oil.
If the filter was oiled with some of the sticky special filter oils (the ones from the bottle, NOT the aerosol spray) you will have to use petrol or special filter cleaners.
IMHO the use of the tacky filter oils is only meaningful in outboard engines on boats of people who like to reverse into a following sea or bikers who love to take their bike for a swim or are living in the Pacific NW, Scotland ort other high rainfall areas.  (The sticky stuff is more water repellent than engine oil. If a foam filter treated with engine oil is submerged the oil emulsifies and gets partially washed off).

After washing the filter with Prepsol you squeeze out the water and oil the filter straight away (yes, without drying!). Squeeze again and oh miracle! (actually not, rather physics :cheers: ) the water gets squeezed out and the oil remains in the foam. Fit and go.

I don't think the petrol came out of your carb, rather originates from the previous "service" of the filter.

If the filter is very oily (dripping) at the bottom nothing is necessarily wrong with the bike, it might just have been oiled too much.

Oil also sometimes gets thrown into the air box of the DR650SE if you dump the bike and don't cut the engine immediately.

Don't forget to remove and clean the little length of pipe and the plug from the bottom of the air box.

Thanx lecap...Good food for thought