Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Almost legal..........  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Rooikat

• Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
Almost legal..........
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:30:14 pm »
Saw this at Waverley Plaza - one way of not paying for tolls! Can't be seen by cameras. As for being stopped - how many conscientious (or observant)cops out there?

Strangely quiet after elections......still early days to see whether these cretins are going to do something to enforce payment. I'm still never going to pay!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:35:20 pm by Rooikat »
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline BigRussian63

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Almost legal..........
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:43:16 am »
This is probably the first thing I will do when I get my bike....  >:D

Online iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • Good Dog Computers
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:48:58 am »
I've seen this on plenty on-road bikes.
I'm curious about how it fits in with the law; does a plate need to be at a certain angle? Not covered from above?

Like you say, I doubt the cops are observant enough or know the laws well enough to be able to accurately prosecute someone with their plate like this.
www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:58:33 am »
I'm curious about how it fits in with the law; does a plate need to be at a certain angle? Not covered from above?

Like you say, I doubt the cops are observant enough or know the laws well enough to be able to accurately prosecute someone with their plate like this.

Number plate must be visible from behind (no law about above as far as I'm aware) plus must be at an angle not more than 30deg from vertical and numbers must be "right way up", so no number plates upside down.

Although the plate in the pic looks to be more than 30deg I don't think he'll get into trouble.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:59:49 am »
Plate must be in plastic holder with white pop rivets at a certain angle with number plate light.

Offline Koet

• Splash!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:01:01 am »
Plate must be in plastic holder with white pop rivets at a certain angle with number plate light.

Where did you get this from?

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Re: Re: Almost legal..........
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 09:06:12 am »
Saw this at Waverley Plaza - one way of not paying for tolls! Can't be seen by cameras. As for being stopped - how many conscientious (or observant)cops out there?

Strangely quiet after elections......still early days to see whether these cretins are going to do something to enforce payment. I'm still never going to pay!

Trust me, it can be seen on cameras. The reason we are trying to fet the sabs and road agency to allow smaller plates for bikes again.

New tech cameras high res can get your numbers of your license disk if its unobstructed.

Offline Koet

• Splash!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 09:09:52 am »

Trust me, it can be seen on cameras. The reason we are trying to fet get the sabs and road agency to allow smaller plates for bikes again.

New tech cameras high res can get your numbers of your license disk if its unobstructed.

If you're referring to the eToll cameras you're mistaken.  It's a popular myth being thrown around.  Please don't fall for internet and social media scaremongering.

Plus, the plate at than angle can't be seen by the cameras.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 09:26:15 am »

Number plate must be visible from behind (no law about above as far as I'm aware) plus must be at an angle not more than 30deg from vertical and numbers must be "right way up", so no number plates upside down.

Although the plate in the pic looks to be more than 30deg I don't think he'll get into trouble.

Under correction but the 30deg refer to the 'right way up' and not the inward/outward angle.
From the charge codes (1228): "Vehicle with the number plate not affixed thereto in an upright position or within 30° of such position"  R500 fine
But I would not try to defend the interpretation of that when a cop is fining me   ;)

Here are some other charge codes they might use for such a case:
"Vehicle with the number plate of the vehicle not affixed thereto in such a manner that each letter and figure thereon was clearly legible"
"Vehicle with a number plate of the said vehicle not affixed thereto in such a manner that the whole number plate was clearly visible"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:26:39 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline Koet

• Splash!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 09:30:01 am »
As I understand the "upright position" refers to both the angle inwards/outwards of the plate (as in the photo) as well as the rotation of the plate to have the numbers upright and readable.

But like you said, I won't get technical with a pig if he/she's busy writing me up...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:30:30 am by Koet »

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 09:52:13 am »
As I understand the "upright position" refers to both the angle inwards/outwards of the plate (as in the photo) as well as the rotation of the plate to have the numbers upright and readable.
But like you said, I won't get technical with a pig if he/she's busy writing me up...

I would not even get technical on the forum.  The way it is written it can refer to in/out as well as rotation.
Can't remember what I read that gave the impression it was only referring to the rotation. Might have been SABS code or even the unreliable internet.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 12:16:35 pm »

Trust me, it can be seen on cameras. The reason we are trying to fet get the sabs and road agency to allow smaller plates for bikes again.

If you're referring to the eToll cameras you're mistaken.  It's a popular myth being thrown around.  Please don't fall for internet and social media scaremongering.

Plus, the plate at than angle can't be seen by the cameras.
We are installing registration plate cameras her at work and they require a lot of fiddly set up to work correctly... to date NONE can read the disk unless the vehicle is stopped and the camera is at least 500mm from the windscreen. Hence we are not installing that at all. But will have hand held scanners that read the 3d barcode on the disk and licence.
Do not let the interwebs intimidate you! :sip:

Offline Rooikat

• Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 04:22:59 pm »
"From the charge codes (1228): "Vehicle with the number plate not affixed thereto in an upright position or within 30° of such position"  R500 fine"
What's ambiguous about that?
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline SchalkL

• Can you say: Today is a good day to die?
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 04:49:40 pm »
How much is the fine for not having a number plate at all?
Sometimes you don't need a plan, just balls :)
I'd rather ... be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God than sitting ... in Church and thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline Koet

• Splash!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 07:49:47 am »
How much is the fine for not having a number plate at all?

Usually it's:  "Sorry officer, I just got the bike and haven't had a chance to order a plate yet" followed by "Please make sure you install your plate ASAP otherwise you will be fined"  (happened to me couple of times).

If you're unlucky probably R500 fine.