What bike for a new female rider??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monteith

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F700GS
Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post this message, but hope so :)

I would like to buy my first bike and have looked at various options but can not decide what to get. As I am relatively short (1.55m with an 73cm inseam) and would like to  have my feet touch the ground and I have not ridden a bike (other than my much loved MTB), I considered getting a small bike 200 - 300 cc 4T to start with. The rationale is that this will hopefully help me learn some skill and build confidence.

Some of the options i've looked at (mostly virtual on the internet, specs and other blogs) are the Yamaha XT 250, Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DR 200SE and the Honda CTX200 Bushlander - the Bushlander was by far the most appealing option as it seems like a very nice bike to start with and comes out with space for luggage. I came across a blog by other shorter ladies called the shortypants blog which was quite interesting. https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669666

On Saturday i did a beginners bike class in Belville on a TW200 which was really nice and handling was fine once i got used to it.

Now, eventually my plan is to get some or other DP 650cc. I really like the GS650 but it will depend what i can handle  and if the bike is low enough. Some recent advice i've been getting is that it may be a waste of time and money to start with a smaller bike just to replace it in a while with a bigger bike and that i should directly get a F650GS as it is a very well balanced bike and good to learn on.

Concern is that the bike may be big and heavy to handle, get used to etc.

I would appreciate any advice and if someone in the Cape Town area maybe have a F650GS with a low seat that i can look at it will help a lot.

Thanks in advance
Lizette