Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: '......Ever had to sell your bike because of financial reasons?'  (Read 4963 times)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re: '......Ever had to sell your bike because of financial reasons?'
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 12:03:23 pm »
TVB when I had to sell the KLR last year June the buyer paid me with a DR200 to still keep me mobile, but I miss the KLR everyday

KLR's are brilliant bikes; it's been said so many times that it is not the best at anything but can do what ever is expected of them and the price to maintain is affordable, I have changed oil every 3000km. The guy who bought my bike sure got himself a bargain. R34K - 2010 model fitted with raceway progressive rear spring, sw mototech racks and crash bars plus a brand new rear tyre plus top box and Hayness manual

Offline TornadoF5

• Limited EditionŽ
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • He who never dreams, sleeps his life away
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 03:17:59 pm »
Ag TVB it is only a material thing and if you can into that mindset it will be a little easier without one. I had to sell mine 3 years ago due to financial reasons too, but waited patiently (however difficult) for my situation to improve. All good things come to those who wait  :thumleft:

Always outnumbered, but NEVER outgunned.....

Offline Lear300

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 03:20:49 pm »
Yip, I sold my bike at the end of last year. I am slowly getting back into gear (financially speaking). My aim is to have my bike back in the garage by year end 2014.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 10:30:24 pm »
It's all good and well to sell your bike if the finances pinch, but when you get the money a whirlwind comes and swoosh it's all gone!
It is always better to make a plan to earn some more money, it is after all a very flighty commodity, bikes stay much longer!
Every time I decide to sell something I really like, I try to buy something with the money that will also stay around for a while.
If I need more money, I work more!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 06:32:40 am »
Ag TVB it is only a material thing and if you can into that mindset it will be a little easier without one. I had to sell mine 3 years ago due to financial reasons too, but waited patiently (however difficult) for my situation to improve. All good things come to those who wait  :thumleft:

You are right, although it was a real sad moment last night when the new owner drove away with her.....great memories. As the sound of the engine faded away in the distance I got a real empty feeling for I know it will be a while befor I can call a bike my own again

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 06:47:34 am »
It is not so much the loss of a bike as it is the memories attached to that bike.  :-\

Nothing beats the feeling of owning your bike free and clear.
Happily, my three bikes are like that.
So what do I go and do...

I buy another one!  ::)
Now SWAMBO is walking about with a bottom lip that sags more than a 80-year old's boobs.
So, I'm going to have to sell off one to get back to free and clear.
Fortunately, the bike I bought was on the same trip I have memories of on the one I'll be selling, so there is continuity there.   ;D
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 07:02:41 am »
TVB, unless you are really tight, try and get yourself a really cheap 180 Bajaj/ Motomia 200, even the 125, just to be able to ride a little bit at least.

My friend Francois and his wife cruised from Cape Town to Cairo, each on their own Motomia 200. No problems, they still have the bikes and Francois still rides his.

But hang in there my friend, be careful and things must improve. At least you have a job which you seem to love, something there already.

Offline Gravel Man

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 07:35:10 am »
I had to sell my life long dream last month, but I made a plan. Sold both my 800gs and the HD. bought a second hand 2013 1200adv. Costs a third of what the other bikes cost and now my financial situation is starting to look better. Now I can ride again, instead of just looking at my bikes standing in the garage. One  day I will own a HD again.

Offline Bliknęrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 08:00:56 am »
Hell yeah.
For other reasons too.
It's just a way of not ending in a rut.
It will sort itself out in it's own time, don't give up!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 08:03:27 am »
TVB, unless you are really tight, try and get yourself a really cheap 180 Bajaj/ Motomia 200, even the 125, just to be able to ride a little bit at least.

My friend Francois and his wife cruised from Cape Town to Cairo, each on their own Motomia 200. No problems, they still have the bikes and Francois still rides his.

But hang in there my friend, be careful and things must improve. At least you have a job which you seem to love, something there already.

You are righ Dan, any bike is better than no bike.... Come to thinkj when I used to work in Sudan I bought a little TVS up there for 800usd (back the exhange rate was R6 to the dollar) and I have enjoyed that bike just as much as any other brand name big bore bike! We got a thing in SA about 'big bikes' and yes, they are great. However, one can have a lot of fun on this small 'piki piki's' (like they call them up there in Africa!

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 08:16:25 am »
yes, starting the Flying Brick Store, i needed some extra working capital, although I had already put a lot of my cash into the project.

So I sold a beautiful 800GS, Grey, and then bought a much older, less expensive (superior?  :peepwall:) 1150 GS, which I also love.

Would not like to be without a bike, but doing a strategic sale, and then another purchase, to free up working capital, was a no-brainer.
Cheers
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline fredda

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 12:30:31 pm »
I had to sell my beautiful XT600 last year because we had a wedding to pay for. Luckily things changed and I was in the fortunate position to buy a DR650.

Try to remind yourself of all the other blessings that you still have in your life. Do not get discouraged, whatever you are going through at the moment is building your character. Keep your chin up an believe that better things are yet to come.
Current bike: 2011 BMW R1200R

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 08:50:37 pm »
Six months ago I had to sell my GSA because my financial situation had changed for the worse.

Six months of being bikeless wasn't lekker.

Yesterday I took posession of my "new" bike. A 1981 XL500S. She needs a LOT of work, but to me, working on a bike is just about as good as riding one  ;D
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 08:53:05 pm »
Six months ago I had to sell my GSA because my financial situation had changed for the worse.

Six months of being bikeless wasn't lekker.

Yesterday I took posession of my "new" bike. A 1981 XL500S. She needs a LOT of work, but to me, working on a bike is just about as good as riding one  ;D

Great attitude!!

Offline JJBotes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 09:22:30 pm »
In 2006 I was involved in a accident which left me in bed for 8 months .I could not continue with my normal duties at work, received a nice big pay-cut when I returned to work but at leased the company accommodated me in a position where I could earn some money while I recover.
I sold my GSXR 750's  and my wife's Ducati 750 Sport & Suzuki RGV 250.

When tings started looking better I bought a 650 GS in a box and fixed it , but that was just insult to injury ( because I expected Superbike power :confused: :confused: ) , it did not fill the spot . The good that come from that , was that I started to enjoy dust and gravel roads. Now 8 years later things are finally looking good on my 2 wheel side of live. If all goes well I'll be bringing home a 2008 GSA before the end of the week.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:22:31 am by JJBotes »

Offline Wayne

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 09:54:04 pm »
Yep. Got the T shirt. but will be back on 2 wheels by hook or by crook
May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline barry13

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 06:28:06 am »
Over the years I have owned many bikes (54 or so) and have had to sell many times to raise funds for some project or other. It is always heart sore especially if like me you have spent hours and Rands fixing them up. I have never lost money on a bike and I consider them to be moveable assets. There is always another bike available when you get the money again. I Never consider myself to be 'without' a bike but I am sometimes 'between'  bikes  :thumleft:
Owned at last count 56 bikes over the years.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 06:30:29 am »
I like te 'between bikes' attetude!

Offline Jaakmh

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 11:20:42 am »
Know the feeling all too well. Sold mine last year August due to finances. Finances got better, started looking for a bike again and was close to buying when my wife told me she is pregnant....... :imaposer: So next week Friday ....Godwilling.....I'll be a father of two.

Bike buying is now a five year plan for me.

Hou Moed.....Bly Hoop!!!!!

Now where did I write down those winning numbers again  ??? ???

Offline silvrav

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 11:28:26 am »
Know the feeling all too well. Sold mine last year August due to finances. Finances got better, started looking for a bike again and was close to buying when my wife told me she is pregnant....... :imaposer: So next week Friday ....Godwilling.....I'll be a father of two.

Bike buying is now a five year plan for me.

Hou Moed.....Bly Hoop!!!!!

Now where did I write down those winning numbers again  ??? ???

eish...2 at ones? congrats and strongs!!