Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: '......Ever had to sell your bike because of financial reasons?'  (Read 4961 times)

Offline fredda

Re: '......Ever had to sell your bike because of financial reasons?'
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2014, 08:52:38 am »
Same thing here. I always wanted a "superbike" while at school and riding my DT125 and the likes. Eventuay I got a DRZ400, but that was still too small.

I finally got hold of a beautiful TL1000, and I loved it. But after a few months I started to miss the ease of riding the scramblers, so I sold the TL and got a XT600.

Thing is, the smaller bike was so much more fun for everyday riding and cheaper to live with. I would love to have something like the TL again, BUT as a second bike, something to satisfy the power/speed craving every now and then.
Current bike: 2011 BMW R1200R

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2014, 09:22:27 am »
Same thing here. I always wanted a "superbike" while at school and riding my DT125 and the likes. Eventuay I got a DRZ400, but that was still too small.

I finally got hold of a beautiful TL1000, and I loved it. But after a few months I started to miss the ease of riding the scramblers, so I sold the TL and got a XT600.

Thing is, the smaller bike was so much more fun for everyday riding and cheaper to live with. I would love to have something like the TL again, BUT as a second bike, something to satisfy the power/speed craving every now and then.

Makes sense. But then when one is without a bike 'any bike' will do!  :thumleft:

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2014, 09:38:54 am »
True TVB, 10 years ago when moving from Gauteng to Durbs I did not have a bike, having traded mine for a beach buggie for the wife, so she would have transport as well.

Started with an old KLR 600 I got for a good price and then wheeling and dealing, fixing, selling, buying and swopping, until I now have a bike for each of the family that is paid up and clear.

Keep an eye on Gumtree, if you have patience there is some real specials that come up.
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Geotraveller

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2014, 10:00:25 am »
Been there done that with a few bikes in the last year or so. To many people already know this song so suffice to say I will be back on my feet and i will buy the bike I want.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2014, 03:16:31 pm »
Seems I might be back on two wheels sooner than I thought, although only a CBX250 Honda Twister!

I can only arrange to view and test Saturday, but already excited. 15 000km and R12K.

Will update your guys!  :)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2014, 03:28:03 pm »
Seems I might be back on two wheels sooner than I thought, although only a CBX250 Honda Twister!

I can only arrange to view and test Saturday, but already excited. 15 000km and R12K.

Ek hou styf duimvas!!!  :thumleft:  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline jagter

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2014, 03:47:41 pm »
Have been bikeless for 18 months roughly 10 years ago when I did the reverse groot trek.  Not recommended for sanity. Won't do it again if I can help it.

From my first memories the only thing I ever wanted was a bike. So for me it's pretty much a top priority, many other things will have to give before I sell my bike.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:50:18 pm by jagter »

Offline jagter

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2014, 03:48:53 pm »
double post
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:50:06 pm by jagter »

Offline mtr89

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2014, 08:27:40 pm »

Just read through this thread.luckily I haven't had to sell a bike for financial reasons butt has been a close thing this year.TVB,it's good hear you will be on your own 2 wheels again.enjoy! :ricky: :thumleft:
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Geotraveller

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2014, 10:01:53 pm »

UItstekende nuus Tom! Ek hou duim vas.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2014, 11:25:02 pm »
I'm not talking to anyone right now.  :xxbah:

I have to sell this, due to economic reasons ..................   :-\  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

Racing bred, one of the 75 2012 KTM 450 Rally replicas built.

The bike is in Peru right now. Shipping to RSA can be arranged. Comes with a ton of spares, including 3 rims 6 tyres, sprockets, clutch,  filters, road book, ICO etc. etc. Basically a full house. Engine has 9,000km on it, but is titanium. Serious offers will be considered. PM me if interested.

Its worth US$25K. A new one is nearly $40K.

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Geotraveller

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2014, 12:33:03 am »

I have to sell this, due to economic reasons ..................   :-\  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

The bike is in Peru right now. Shipping to RSA can be arranged. Comes with a ton of spares, including 3 rims 6 tyres, sprockets, clutch,  filters, road book, ICO etc. etc. Basically a full house. Engine has 9,000km on it, but is titanium. Serious offers will be considered. PM me if interested.

Jeez Niel! That's like selling a child! I truly hope something happens soon so it does not have to go.

Offline Airguitar

• I prefer girls that sing soprano.
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2014, 06:00:13 am »
I've had to sell off for financial reasons 3 times. My first XR500, eina. My 650GS Dakar. Ouch! My 1200GS. Tears in my eyes even though that one was simply because I was moving back to SA from Germany and shipping the bike by air wasn't worth it and by sea too slow.

It's true that it's hard to let them go because of all the memories attached to them.
Now I'm older and in some ways wiser I realize that some of those times the money I got from selling wasn't worth the loss of the bike. Nor did it solve my problems.
It just seemed like a quick solution to a bigger problem and was effectively like putting gaffer tape on the Titanic.
Other times it was strategically wise. The trick is knowing which is which.
Lay it down to experience. You're a biker and somewhere out there the next one is waiting.
My rides:
2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC.
Honda VF750S
Boeing 747

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2014, 06:58:00 am »
Sjo Neil, having to sell a race bread KTM450 like that is just not on! That is a Dakar winning bike! I really hope that your situation will change soon! Strongs to you!

Offline mtr89

• one grateful dude
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 07:03:55 am »

OH.
MY.
SACK!
That bike is too Damn sexy!what a pity you have to sell .BB.good luck
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2014, 07:11:45 am »

Great news  ;D :thumleft:
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Ou Krokkedil

• Bike: BMW F700GS
  • Ride More, drink more BEER and stress less.
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2014, 07:54:00 am »
After the accident 2 weeks ago, I was also contemplating this, The BMW 700 is worth around 90k and has about R10k damage on it if i fix it myself. Insurance does not want to pay because we have given notice that we are moving to new insurance from the 1st of June, i am busy with a case against them at the OMBUD.

I asked what the settlement is and the bank told me R104k that means if i have to sell it like it is i will probably only get around 80K and will have to pay in another 20-30k to settle the bike.

So we decided to keep the bike, and then start to fix it up agian, spoke to the bank and told them that the bike will be standing in the shed for the next couple of months while we do the fixing. Cancelled the insurance on the bike, and will be using that money to repair the bike, when it is back on the road i will insure it again.

I hear you all say what if they steal the bike. Well it is not running currently so they will not get far  :imaposer:
I LOVE RIDING

Online Bensien

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2014, 07:58:13 am »
When I got married, I sold my bike to make a down payment on a house. It took nine years before I could afford another one. I should have taken a bigger loan. It is easier to get by without the money you get from selling the bike, than it is to find money to buy another one.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline MooseRider

• Bike: Yamaha XT 600 Z
  • Stofpad langs
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2014, 06:47:59 am »
Jip, know the feeling. And it somehow feels as if the money is not worth the loss of a bike. But sometimes we sell in crisis like when retrenched and there is no income to speak of.
Laat waai Meraai
As jy dom is moet jy leer!!!
Yamaha DT 125 Enduro (Sold)
Suzuki GT 200X5 (Stolen)
Yamaha XT 600 Z Tenere (Sold)

Offline mtr89

• one grateful dude
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2014, 07:00:32 am »
When I got married, I sold my bike to make a down payment on a house. It took nine years before I could afford another one. I should have taken a bigger loan. It is easier to get by without the money you get from selling the bike, than it is to find money to buy another one.
Very true.it has to be,even my wife says so.