Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Erzberg / Isle of Man Information... Anyone?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Mommy Fairy :)
Erzberg / Isle of Man Information... Anyone?
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:52:10 pm »
Yes, I know I can go to the website and I know google is my friend, buuuuuuut....

I am sorta kinda maybe planning a trip for Throttle and myself next year to Erzberg... meant to be a surprise, but nothing is sacred in our household and he always finds out  :biggrin:

It was a toss up between Isle of Man or Erzberg... the latter won (well I am for it as there's lots of MX boots to perve over >:D )

Has anyone been to either one of them or both? Which one would you choose? (Poll added for shits and giggles)

Are there packages available? If so, is it cheaper that way or less expensive to wing it?

Fanks!

M
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
  • Die Punda van Prieska
Re: Erzberg / Isle of Man Information... Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 04:49:04 pm »
IOM-- IMHO
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Grey hound
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 04:53:51 pm »
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:58:23 pm »
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Tito

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Alias .....Paul Rotorookies
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 05:18:32 pm »
I O M ....a whole week of action .....Rally style carnival atmosphere, every type of bike you can think of , sit anywhere round the whole course 37 miles of it ...Its a no brainer..... Erzburg although spectacular ....can't compete with the TT....
Ride it like you stole it  !!!!!! If your Afraid of Death Your Afraid of Life, Only the Rocks Live Forever !!!!!!

Offline Tito

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Alias .....Paul Rotorookies
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:22:18 pm »
You  just book bed and breakfast now for next year, air fares and ferry and your sorted ,Bike rental would be a bargain too.....
Jealous ....
Ride it like you stole it  !!!!!! If your Afraid of Death Your Afraid of Life, Only the Rocks Live Forever !!!!!!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 05:29:37 pm »
IOM.

Go check the Roof of Africa, same as Erzberg. Sort of.

IOM is singlemindedly amazing, never been there, but I watch every year! :ricky:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:24 pm »
IOM-- IMHO

Hoekom?

Dis 'n week lange ervaring.  Twee weke as jy na die oefening en kwalifikasie ook gaan kyk.  Die Isle of Man regering en besighede buig agteroor om besoekers te akkommodeer in terme van pakette, ens.

Hoofrede:  Suid Afrikaner wat deelneem.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline BennNevis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 07:50:13 pm »
On my must do lists to go to these two events

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 08:16:06 pm »
IOM  :thumleft:

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:16:43 pm »
So Isle of Man is the clear winner so far for various reasons...

Isle of Man = rode bikes riding around a track?

Erzberg = enduro type of stuff?

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 08:18:17 pm »
So Isle of Man is the clear winner so far for various reasons...

Isle of Man = roderoad  bikes riding around THE track

Erzberg = THE enduro

Fixed

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Grey hound
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:27:28 pm »
Another question...

Taken from website... seems there's different dates  :-\  A bit dof when it comes to this, as I never really had an interest. Difference between TT and Motorcycling event? One cars and other bikes?

Future events will be held between the following dates:-

Isle of Man TT

2014    24th May 6th June
2015    30th May 12th June
2016     28th May 10th June

Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling

2014 22nd August - 29th August (Practising commences 16th August)
2015 29th August - 4th September (Practising commences 22nd August)
2016 Sat 27th August - 2nd September (Practising commences 20th August)

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 08:30:21 pm »
Another question...

Taken from website... seems there's different dates  :-\  A bit dof when it comes to this, as I never really had an interest. Difference between TT and Motorcycling event? One cars and other bikes?

Isle of Man TT

2014    24th May 6th June
2015    30th May 12th June
2016     28th May 10th June

Offline redbikejohn

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
    • Redbikejohn
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 07:16:59 pm »
Been to the IOM plenty of times. On sportsbikes first but then on dirt bikes after a bit of a brake.
Some of the glory days are over but its still a good crack.  There is plenty of 'home stay' ie B&B type accommodation but the island is very popular so you need to book well in advance.  most uk guys book for the following year straight after the races have finished - yes a year in advance!  Ferry bookings are hard to get so the day the bookings open fans sit on the phones and hit redial continuously until they get though - yes been there done that. alternatively if you don;t get the booking you want you can wait until the unpaid for booking get put back on the market - and hit redial all morning again  ;D

unfortunately a lot of the TT track itself has been restricted in speed so its only the mountain part itself that is fun. but there are so many bikes trying to get round it can be an issue. the last time i went on a sportsbike it took forever to complete a lap for a quick blast over the mountain.  HOWEVER - the rest of the island is great for a bit of a blast but you have to like tight and bumpy roads. i loved it on my 916.
In later years i started going over in a van and taking my dirt bike - MUCH better as there are plenty of dirt tracks to ride and you can get to different parts of the track via dirt tracks ie 'green lanes' or 'byways'.

www.redbikejohn.com check it out

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 07:33:01 pm »
Another question...

Taken from website... seems there's different dates  :-\  A bit dof when it comes to this, as I never really had an interest. Difference between TT and Motorcycling event? One cars and other bikes?

Isle of Man TT

2014    24th May 6th June
2015    30th May 12th June
2016     28th May 10th June

The Isle of Man TT (Tourist Trophy)  is the big one.  Always around end May.  Tourist Trophy is a name that hung around as it was later replaced by MotoGP.  TT so named because the racers traveled from country to country to race for the championship.   When GP replaced TT the Isle of Man races were considered to dangerous and was dropped off the calender,  so the race became a stand alone and kept the name TT.

There is also the festival of motorcycling and the Manx GP (part of the Irish road racing series)  around August.  When we say go see IoM,  we mean the TT in May.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:34:03 pm by AMZ »
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 07:53:00 am »
Sometimes I wonder whether a younger motorcyclist could ever feel he same sense of wonder and magic over the IOM TT as someone like myself who even as a child was steeped in the sense of history about motorbike racing long before even I was born.
The first time I rode the circuit my head was filled with the thoughts that Stanley Woods rode here, and Jimmy Guthrie, Freddy Frith, Geoff Duke, Bob McIntyre, John Surtees, and so many other legends. Here was where Bill Lomas on the Guzzi 500cc V8 clocked 168mph, on 3 inch wide tyres, and with friction damped suspension!
And later, sitting with my legs dangling over the trackside wall, feeling the windrush of Agostini's MV, literally inches away, and feeling the pulsation in my guts from Mike Hailwoods six screaming Honda exhausts. Not to mention the music and revelry in the pubs at night, the live performances of rock'n'roll superstars like Chuck Berry appeared there, and the sexy little Irish girls who flocked there to get temporary work as waitresses etc.
An old friend who has been recently, told me that if I was to go again nowadays I would be disappointed, because "things are just not the same."
Maybe he's right, but I sure as hell would like the chance to find out!
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 08:25:13 am »

An old friend who has been recently, told me that if I was to go again nowadays I would be disappointed, because "things are just not the same."
Maybe he's right, but I sure as hell would like the chance to find out!

Unfortunately things do change, but from what I hear from AJ Venter who participated last year and his mom and dad who went over, it is still one awesome experience.  The athmosfere, the entertainment, etc.  is just a cut above the rest.  Of course, with a history and culture of over 100 years it becomes more and more difficult to keep the traditions, but it seems the IoM Government is doing okay, for instance still using the kids as runners on the position boards instead of modern electronics, etc.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:27:20 am by AMZ »
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline adamktm

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 09:48:13 am »
If you do decide to go to the TT, try stay close to Douglas as that's where all the action is in the evenings.

A bunch of mates and I went over in a van with our Superbikes cos it was half the price on the ferry for a van with 4 bikes in it than it was for 4 bikes.

We camped and had an absolute blast. Getting around the island when the racing is on is a bit of a nightmare with all the traffic. Also pack for all seasons. It can be sunny and hot one minute and then freezing and raining the next.

The one morning I got our my tent and it was a glorious day, got in the tent to get dressed and 5 minutes later it was freezing and foggy.

Because I've been to the TT I would go to Erzberg, but I believe Romaniacs is better........so that's where I would go.
2018 KTM 250 6 Days TPI
2011 690 Enduro

When I bleed, I bleed orange!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 10:03:56 am »
If you do decide to go to the TT, try stay close to Douglas as that's where all the action is in the evenings.

A bunch of mates and I went over in a van with our Superbikes cos it was half the price on the ferry for a van with 4 bikes in it than it was for 4 bikes.

We camped and had an absolute blast. Getting around the island when the racing is on is a bit of a nightmare with all the traffic. Also pack for all seasons. It can be sunny and hot one minute and then freezing and raining the next.

The one morning I got our my tent and it was a glorious day, got in the tent to get dressed and 5 minutes later it was freezing and foggy.

Because I've been to the TT I would go to Erzberg, but I believe Romaniacs is better........so that's where I would go.

The school (or one of the schools) in Douglas to a tented camp at reasonable price.  The supply the tent (pitched)  with all you need already inside.  It is where my aim is for 2015.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!