Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Are the Japanese canning Dual Sport entirely?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
Are the Japanese canning Dual Sport entirely?
« on: May 18, 2014, 10:07:10 pm »
With ZA wanting all motorcycles to have E2 homologation in order to register on Natis,
I looked to see what Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki have to offer in Europe this year.
I found only road motorcycles and crosstourers like the VStrom on offer.
Does this indicate that Dual Sport motorcycling in EU is dead?
(They have MX machines, but no street legal off-road bikes.)
If so, does it mean that DS in ZA will also die?

Only BMW and KTM for sale...?
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Single Cylinder

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Kickstart the beast or push the button
Re: Are the Japanese canning Dual Sport entirely?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 06:51:19 am »
The manufacturer produces models according to market demand. Cross tourers are in demand so that is what will be produced. The DS market is only a small fraction of the global market thus less DS bikes and more cross tourers.   :ricky:
I am not lazy, I am energy efficient.
Honda CB750 sold
Honda Elsinore 250 stolen
Honda XR500 sold, Kawasaki Ninja 750 sold
TDM 850

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 06:59:42 am »
So that means my XR is gonna go up in value!!

Gotta lave the japs
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 08:54:17 pm »
Thumpers will never die!! (they just go faster!) :deal:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 06:51:13 am »
Thumpers will never die!! (they just go faster!) :deal:

Only for as long as you can still get spares.
Without the spares, they die even faster the faster you ride them.
The crossover market it what Europe and much of the US wants.
A road bike that doesn't skrik its tyres off when it sees a short stretch of gravel.
Considering that 97% of roads in EU are paved, what else?
ZA on the other had has 93% UNPAVED roads - and growing as the potholes get bigger.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline lecap

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:08:39 am »
I doubt the figure of 97% of roads being paved is realistic if you look at the main European bike markets (British Isles, Germany, France, BeNeLux, Spain & Italy). It's more like 100%. If there are any dirt roads they are off limits.

If you want to ride DS in Europe you have to go to Finland or counties of the former Eastern Bloc & SU.

The market for DS bikes was dwindling over the last 20 years.

The South African DS market is being killed deliberately by the legislative and the importers. Now go and buy a friggin' V-Strom
and weep your eyes out when you look at the offerings of Suzuki Australia (the FULL range of DS bikes available from the DRZ125 for the kids via the 200 & 250's not missing the DRZ400 in all versions all the way to the DR650SE.

The manufacturers will not come out with E2 compliant bikes specifically for that little market down there in South Africa (South where ???).
Maybe the situation will change if one day the bikes have to conform similar legislation in AUS and North America.

In the meantime buy the bikes which are available in the UK or look after what you have got. :-\
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Airguitar

• The bald and the beautiful
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 12:32:21 pm »
I doubt the figure of 97% of roads being paved is realistic if you look at the main European bike markets (British Isles, Germany, France, BeNeLux, Spain & Italy). It's more like 100%. If there are any dirt roads they are off limits.

If you want to ride DS in Europe you have to go to Finland or counties of the former Eastern Bloc & SU.

The market for DS bikes was dwindling over the last 20 years.

The South African DS market is being killed deliberately by the legislative and the importers. Now go and buy a friggin' V-Strom
and weep your eyes out when you look at the offerings of Suzuki Australia (the FULL range of DS bikes available from the DRZ125 for the kids via the 200 & 250's not missing the DRZ400 in all versions all the way to the DR650SE.

The manufacturers will not come out with E2 compliant bikes specifically for that little market down there in South Africa (South where ???).
Maybe the situation will change if one day the bikes have to conform similar legislation in AUS and North America.

In the meantime buy the bikes which are available in the UK or look after what you have got. :-\

That was always a continual source of frustration when I was living in Germany. Finding a dirt road was like finding gold. Amazingly the foremost DS Bike manufacturers are German and Austrian, where there are the fewest DS routes..

Maybe we can start looking at China for our stock?? Puzey is pioneering that route..
1988 XR600R, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Volvo XC90. Yes I drive a Volvo. No, I don't care what you think.

Offline Spastic Spy

• Bike: Yamaha XT 600 Z
  • Professional Unicorn Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 06:17:32 pm »
Were the rumours about Honda releasing the new Africa Twin next year just bs then?

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 10:32:40 pm »
Don't worry, there will always be something to ride --- even if we start converting scooters or naked street bikes for offroad. Won't be ideal...as it is now but it will be good enough. ;)
In a few years we will be riding bikes like the electric Zeros etc.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 01:29:43 am »
What is wrong with the XTR660?, the XTZ, the BMW Sertao, the KTM690, still a lot of stock available on the outgoing KLR. All still okish thumpers the above mentioned. Parts will not be a problem in our lifetime as you still get parts for XR500and XT500 from 1982. Not nearly as many was sold than DR650 which is great and often available secondhand, KLR, the list goes on. Aprillia Pegasso trail is still available, basically a XTR in another frame.

Honda African twin to be released last quarter next year in SA. V strom 650 with spoked rims, a bit more offroad capable and always was way better than people thought it was. I have done goat trails and went all over the show on a DL650.

We still have the 800 class

I am not worried