Refurbishing the old girl... 1981 Honda XL 500 S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
I have been wanting to tackle a rebuild on an old-school bike for years now. And reading about all the brilliant projects in this section inspired me even more.

So, after having to sell the GSA at the end of last year due to financial reasons, there was a space in the man-cave. I spotted the XL here on the forum in the "for sale" section, but was hesitant as money is still very tight. But after chatting to the seller we came to an agreement, and things started happening really fast. I am in Pretoria, and the bike was in Montagu in the WC.

But Cocky came to the rescue, and brought it up for me. Thanks again Cocky!!!  :thumleft:
It was good to have a bike in the garage again, and I just HAD to take it for a quick spin before the break-down began. Just to get a feel for her, you understand? As well as to find out if there were any issues that were not obvious to the naked eye...

So on Friday I joined the local bunch for a bikers brew at the Brooklyn Mug and Bean, and I must say that she ran ok. A bit of a misfire in the higher revs (probably the carb?) and she felt a bit soft at the rear (shocks) and "sticky" at the front (neck bearings?). The wiring was a visble problem, the headlight doesn't work, all 4 flickers are on at the same time, and the brake light doesnt work either. The hooter did make a small, almost imperceptibe sound, just once, and that was it. The battery was bone-dry, and after filling it with battery acid it still didn't keep any charge (wishful thinking  ;D)

I also smelled some oil while riding, and she's not leaking. Doug was behind me, and he says he saw the odd puff of smoke from the exhaust. So probably rings need some replacement too...

Anyway, I was going to get started on the break-down yesterday, but that was the wife's birthday, so discretion was the better part of valour, and the wifey got severely spoiled instead.

Finally, today I was able to start getting my paws dirty  ;D

Here she is, last look at her in her present state...

And slowly getting there...

On the frame there were two items that needed to go. The steering lock, and the helmet lock. Both were siezed completely solid, and I also don't believe that I will have any need for either of them anyway. So out with the grinder, and off with them!!!

I neatened up the area where the helmet lock was removed, and tomorrow I'll weld up the hole in the steering neck where the steering lock was. I also noted that the hole where the bolt for the side-stand goes through was very badly worn out - elongated. So I cut that bit out and shortedned it a bit to close the apeture a bit. I'll take some pics of it tomorrow after welding up...

I tried to get the screw out that holds the cable in place for the rev counter, but the phillips-head screw was fubar, so I removed the entire drive-unit from the head and drilled it out. I had noticed that the rev-counter wasn't working, so while the drive-unit was out I had a look at the shaft, and found that the roll-pin that drives the shaft was broken. I removed these two pieces from the hollow tube inside the head...

So... that means that I will be stripping the motor down until I find the missing bits of the roll-pin. Bugger. But leaving it will probably lead to damage. Very expensive damage. And I can't afford for that to happen. Oh well... I suppose a crash-course on the internal workings of the 500 motor will not be unwarranted. And I suppose that stripping the motor down will mean that I get to check other bits too, like the cam, clutch, etc.

So now I have a frame that will go for sandblasting and powder coating soon, and a box of bits that needs cleaning, sandblasting, and powdercoating.

And another box of stuff that needs cleaning, servicing, repairing, and in some instances replacing...

I did also find that the steering bearings were shot to all hell. Sticking and squeaking, and the races were actually worn down! So Tomorrow I'll also make a turn at Runner (him of easy discount fame  :imaposer: ) and see if he has any or can get any. If not I suppose that Motormike is my best bet?

I took the swing arm bearings out too, but they are soaking overnight before I give them an inspection to see what their condition is. The wheel bearings both seemed ok, however that was just feeling for play with the wheel on the bike, and checking how freely they spun. A proper inspection will be done once the hubs are stripped.

The wiring harness was the biggest disaster. A "kraaines" of epic proportions. But I have a wiring diagram for the bike, and I do want to do the conversion from 6V to 12V too, so most components will be replaced anyway.

I think the bike will look best with a satin-black frame, but not sure about the swing arm. On some of the pics I have found it is silver, (its the square one) and that looks quite good.

I am also undecided about the colour for the motor. Black or silver? If black I will edge the fins on the head... if silver, well... that looks quite cool too.

What say the expert WD's?

:ricky: