Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sea to Ski 2014: Who's in?  (Read 2363 times)

Offline edgy

Re: Sea to Ski 2014: Who's in?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 04:14:54 pm »
Im booked and paid.....dunno about costing much less but certainly a lot less arrogance from the organisers! :thumleft:

Must apologize....been in contact with Justin from Roof organisers, they have tough call and logistics to contend with and they making decisions based on the best way to deal with various ministers etc! :thumleft:
Can only hope and pray that I get another chance at a Bronze medal one day soon...not getting any younger!! :'(
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 05:58:37 pm »
Bonova, did you come right with a partner for S2S? Otherwise, it looks like it's just Edgy & I.

I've got 4 bust ribs, so I'm as unfit as an ANC MP at the moment. Going to have to make an urgent plan when my ribs knit together.   
'69 Model.

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 05:42:59 pm »
Haha - hope you heal soon bud!!!!!
Sorry man - been lots going on my side - should have gotten back to you. I haven't found a partner from here. Thinking maybe its best to just concentrate on Amageza. However ..... if a spot opens up.....I'm always game for something of extreme nature.....
So if anyone is looking for someone...contact me.....
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 08:04:09 am »
Only 6 weeks to go!
'69 Model.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 09:49:11 am »
Who's still in? Any tips worth sharing?
'69 Model.

Offline edgy

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 11:06:15 am »
We still in.....it's tough as he'll but great fun!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 01:37:59 pm »

Ja Looks like some Grahamstown Greyhounds will be there - Edgy, Mad Matt, Great Dane, Little DoM ... an honorary member from Oz ... may yet be back up crew ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 12:26:00 pm »
Yes, we also in, Michiel, my son and myself, can't wait :thumleft:
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 02:02:16 pm »
Are you guys riding with the first or second batch?
'69 Model.

Offline edgy

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 02:03:49 pm »
Starting with the 1st but with the amount of riding I`ve done this year I may be finishing with the 2nd batch!! :biggrin:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 02:19:09 pm »
Starting with the 1st but with the amount of riding I`ve done this year I may be finishing with the 2nd batch!! :biggrin:

No I think you are with the second - Extreme is Sat, Sun and Monday (Epic is Fri, Sat, Sun) ... so you will just need to keep up as there is no  3rd group ending on the Wednesday  :imaposer:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 02:57:35 pm »
Are you guys riding with the first or second batch?
We are first batch, Epic group
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 06:00:36 am »
Pull in and talk kak with us (Epic). Team Has Beens: beige FJ Cruiser with Limpopo plates and Husaberg TE 300/KTM 300.
'69 Model.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 06:02:12 am »

No I think you are with the second - Extreme is Sat, Sun and Monday (Epic is Fri, Sat, Sun) ... so you will just need to keep up as there is no  3rd group ending on the Wednesday  :imaposer:
It's a pity I'm going to miss you EC guys. Still have some roots in the EC. Also another mate of mine, Jack Brotherton will be riding with you.
'69 Model.

Offline edgy

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:12 am »
Cool stuff.....Jack is a good mate of mine! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 06:30:00 am »
Pull in and talk kak with us (Epic). Team Has Beens: beige FJ Cruiser with Limpopo plates and Husaberg TE 300/KTM 300.

Are you sure you do not mean Team has Beans?  May need them!  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:30:34 am by BiG DoM »

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 03:22:52 pm »

Ja Looks like some Grahamstown Greyhounds will be there - Edgy, Mad Matt, Great Dane, Little DoM ... an honorary member from Oz ... may yet be back up crew ::)

All finished ... literally and a bit figuratively as well  ;D  Some hectic shyte but magnificent landscape and terrain. Generally well organised but unfortunately some question marks around a few logistic matters that one does not expect from Red Cherry and R10K cost ... cold showers after 9 hours in the saddle and one really pathetic excuse for dinner and breakfast ... rather selective marshalling. As a team manager/driver I also have questions around medic support and environmental issues. It worries me that the profit tail may now be wagging the dog ... yes Mike G is a great character but I must say there were certainly mutterings from guys who will not come back for more.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:24:44 pm by BiG DoM »

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 03:39:33 pm »

All finished ... literally and a bit figuratively as well  ;D  Some hectic shyte but magnificent landscape and terrain. Generally well organised but unfortunately some question marks around a few logistic matters that one does not expect from Red Cherry and R10K cost ... cold showers after 9 hours in the saddle and one really pathetic excuse for dinner and breakfast ... rather selective marshalling. As a team manager/driver I also have questions around medic support and environmental issues. It worries me that the profit tail may now be wagging the dog ... yes Mike G is a great character but I must say there were certainly mutterings from guys who will not come back for more.
Now that my aching bones are recovering and I have got over the trauma of my bike now looking very second hand, I am starting to think I'll be back, but I agree with the points you raised. Some of those mud ruts made on leg 1 will pose a serious environmental risk in terms of erosion, and there were some places not even a chopper would get to unless they had winching equipment. Thanks heavens no one was seriously hurt on the final leg. Mike Glover has balls - I'd not be prepared to take on that kind of responsibility.
'69 Model.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 07:32:30 pm »

Now that my aching bones are recovering and I have got over the trauma of my bike now looking very second hand, I am starting to think I'll be back, but I agree with the points you raised. Some of those mud ruts made on leg 1 will pose a serious environmental risk in terms of erosion, and there were some places not even a chopper would get to unless they had winching equipment. Thanks heavens no one was seriously hurt on the final leg. Mike Glover has balls - I'd not be prepared to take on that kind of responsibility.

I would not call it responsibility but RISK! (some even said arrogance - did you notice the first thing you did on arrival was sign an indemnity form?) The gung-ho attitude can go pear shaped fast in those extreme conditions and just lucky I guess no big offs! We have better medivac at our club regional enduro events - I did not see any 4X4 medic vehicle and only one minibus emergency vehicle the whole time. The chopper was Mikes personal one and too small to reach the high altitude Day 3 stuff even if it was needed. There was a lot of littering by competitors, oil changes dropped randomly in evening services, no enviro mats required for refuelling, power washing without drainage etc. I know it was not an MSA event and may sound pussy to some but I think there should have been some consciountising regarding the environment. Rider briefing was just that, very brief and off the cuff. Also the staggered 3rd Day start time of the Extreme group was a shambles as no one had acturately captured the arrival times the afternoon before. Blue stickering was very random and selective. But all in all a great challenge and riding nevertheless.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:29:06 am by BiG DoM »

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2014, 06:08:43 am »
Good points all Big Dom. Besides the environmental issues you mentioned, I agree that there should be some form of structured start each day for next year's event. Riders should start at staggered intervals, based on their overall position from the previous day. Many blue sticker riders ended up starting ahead of us, resulting in bottlenecks. Granted, some blue sticker riders ended up being "stickered" for reasons beyond their control, but that's the nature of the game. Although there is no way of stopping this, many riders treated the road "liaison"  sections as a race, again getting ahead of the main pack and causing bottlenecks. Any peophol can ride fast on a road...

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this event, and will probably be back next year. Red Cherry should view this as constructive criticism.

'69 Model.