Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 800GS - launch report  (Read 5702 times)

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Re: 800GS - launch report
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2008, 12:51:13 pm »
Does this guy really know what he's talking about???

"If you ride a 690 Adventure – you’re the prime candidate, you get a lighter, stronger, faster, less top-heavy bike with cheaper servicing, longer service intervals, better Dealer Network, BMW On Call and better re-sale value."

There IS no 690 adventure, only the current 640! If, he's talking about the 690 Enduro, it's not out yet!
In either case, the KTM is MUCH lighter than the 800GS - the 690 weighs 138.5kg dry for g*ds sake, even if it is top heavy (which I seriously doubt), and the 640 Adventure weighs 159kg and has a 25l fuel tank!  KTM's suspension is far superior and as regards cheaper servicing (and parts), well I've read of high expenses from both brands. Faster yes.

As someone said: It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, than to open it and put the issue beyond doubt!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2008, 02:30:03 pm »

I just wonder why 'ol Tazzman did not post his report here?   >:D  >:D  >:D

'Cause he's pissed off with some of us....... ;D ;D

I am getting a 990 Adv to test soon and am trying to get the 800GS as soon as possible after that so that I can give a fair comparison.

Although DTM has ridden the 800, has he ridden a 990? And can he be UNBIASED enough to be fair to either make?
IMO the 800GS is going to be fairly competent off road, but looking at specs such as NO adjustment available on the front forks I cannot see how it can be better than the multi-adjustable WP units found on the 990.
The 800 does not even come with hand protectors, standard on the 990.....
I agree with someone else's comments here, Touratech is going to make LOTS of money from accessories on this scoot.
It still blows my mind that BMW give the test bike to TT to test, FFS, all he does is think up stuff for TT to sell as extras, do BMW think he is going to go back to them and say the bashplate is kark, there are no hand protectors, the radiater is exposed, what about protection for those plastic reservoirs, etc etc?
He takes it back and says 'Ya, zis ees nice', and hits the 'katching' button on his till.......
I smile at the fact that there is a lot less TT stuff available for the KTM, interesting.....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2008, 02:38:57 pm »
just remember that Bee Em will also have it's own range of accessories for the 800GS, not just TT

early press shots of the 800GS showed a touring screen, hand guards (with and without spoilers), crash bars, luggage, etc

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2008, 03:07:08 pm »
just remember that Bee Em will also have it's own range of accessories for the 800GS, not just TT

early press shots of the 800GS showed a touring screen, hand guards (with and without spoilers), crash bars, luggage, etc

You're still Bee-Em befok I see..... ;D ;D ;D

Come Wes, the DARK SIDE is calling........ ;D ;D ;D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2008, 03:36:35 pm »

You're still Bee-Em befok I see..... ;D ;D ;D

Come Wes, the DARK SIDE is calling........ ;D ;D ;D

must... resist.... gnnnnn....

Offline Roné

• PE Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Algoanet
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2008, 08:14:12 pm »
I have it on good authority that the price will be R88 500 for the base model and some R4200 more for heated grips & ABS. Cannot wait for mine - will be in SA 3rd week of March and at Dealerships 1st Week in April. ( that is if i was not Bullsh&&^d AGAIN)
Previously owned:
Suzuki AC50, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki 750GS, Honda XL250, Honda XL500, Zongshen 200, Kawasaki KLE 500, Aprillia Pegaso 650, KLE650 Versys,KLR650, BMW 1200gs, Suzuki E175, BMW R1200GS Adventure
Currently owned: Bikeless

Offline Roné

• PE Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Algoanet
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2008, 08:58:05 pm »
Ok, so I got a call from my dealer in Pe This week. The full-house is R97 500 and will be here 24 March. Now get this -- they are only getting 2, one for sale & 1 for demo. Looks like by the time mine has arrived I would have cooled down and bought me a Vespa
Previously owned:
Suzuki AC50, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki 750GS, Honda XL250, Honda XL500, Zongshen 200, Kawasaki KLE 500, Aprillia Pegaso 650, KLE650 Versys,KLR650, BMW 1200gs, Suzuki E175, BMW R1200GS Adventure
Currently owned: Bikeless

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2008, 11:21:51 pm »
Ok, so I got a call from my dealer in Pe This week. The full-house is R97 500 and will be here 24 March. Now get this -- they are only getting 2, one for sale & 1 for demo. Looks like by the time mine has arrived I would have cooled down and bought me a Vespa

Ask them what's the point of having a demo for something they battle to get stock of......
They get allocated one bike to sell, pathetic......
Apparently the way it works in BMW is the dealers that have a history of selling the most bikes get the first choice on what's available, so if a potentially popular bike arrives, tough, the guys that don't have a high turnover get what's left over after the 'big boys' are finished.
You might have been better off ordering your bike from someone like Lyndhurst Auto, you would probably get it sooner.
Kark system IMO.

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2008, 11:59:32 am »

I was given the same bullshit in EL when I was down to get the first 1200ADV in the EC - there were though two of us who both wanted first dibbs ... in the end the dealer was allowed to sell both ... and this was not a high turn over dealer either (the then Auto Munti)

Ask them what's the point of having a demo for something they battle to get stock of......
They get allocated one bike to sell, pathetic......
Apparently the way it works in BMW is the dealers that have a history of selling the most bikes get the first choice on what's available, so if a potentially popular bike arrives, tough, the guys that don't have a high turnover get what's left over after the 'big boys' are finished.
You might have been better off ordering your bike from someone like Lyndhurst Auto, you would probably get it sooner.
Kark system IMO.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2008, 12:09:15 pm »
I sat on the F800GS on Friday ;) ... nice and my feet reach the ground.

I also sat on the F650GS ... man this one is going to be a good commuter and all over nice bike.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline mountainboy

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2008, 11:42:53 am »
I sat on the F800GS on Friday ;) ... nice and my feet reach the ground.

I also sat on the F650GS ... man this one is going to be a good commuter and all over nice bike.

so what height are you?
I love my bike..................

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2008, 05:05:38 pm »
1.78m

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2008, 05:38:21 pm »
1.78m

Fark! This is good news! Me also 1.78.

Now it's just the moola that farking up the whole fairy tale. :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2008, 05:52:49 pm »
Let me say this ... that 650 is going to be a serious contender ... it is lower than the 800 and it feels great as far as balance is concerned. What is really nice is that the "tank" is lekker wide and you feel that it it is a bigger bike, it makes you feel comfortable in a funny sort of way. I think the 650 is going to be a fantastic commuter that will also give you the fun of the trails over the weekend ... maybe not as hardcore as many would like it but all over ... a very nicely balanced bike. If I was living in a place where I needed a commuter I would not think twice. In all the hype around the 800GS the 650GS got the hind tit but in the end I think it is the 650 that is going to rake in the numbers.

But hey ... I am tar traveler :) ... more or less a pavement special in the company of real wilddogs but trust me ... I have been around bikes for a very long time and this bike makes me feel good when I sit on it ... actually reminds me a lot of the Kawasaki Z650 of the middle 70's ... sort of a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Offline topbox

• Forum Vendor
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2008, 06:44:29 pm »
i agree on the 650, i was seriously impressed with it in Italy but everyone thought it was a dog from the pics.
[size=7.5pt]www.advrider.co.za [/size]

Kickstarting an XR is like a raindance, once you know the secret ritual you can make it rain on command.
 R1200GS, XR650R, XT500, WR450, XR250 BAJA, CT110

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2008, 09:51:59 pm »
1.78m
So do you think my missus will be ok if she is on 1.62???
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »
On the 650 I think she would be fine ... there is lowered seat model available too.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2008, 11:33:34 pm »
We popped over to Auto Alpina today to check out the new 800GS, just to show we are not scared, myself and Honey Badger parked our awesome Katooms amongst the 'yet to be converted' Beemer rider's bikes.
In all honesty, I don't particularly like the 800, it looks almost unfinished, especially around the motor. The fonto of the engine looks very vulnerable, oil filter hanging out in the breeze. It is going to take a lot of TT add-on's to make this scoot offroad capable...
Due to the stand the bike was perched on for display, nobody could sit on the bike.... ??? ???
I'm sure this bike will sell well, but it needs 'toughening up'. BY the time it is 'blinged' for offroad, you will have spent another R10K, might as well buy a good 2nd hand 1200GS.

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2008, 06:10:45 pm »
Or a brandnew 990 Katoom.... ;D ;D
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

David van Breda

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2008, 06:23:28 pm »
Kurt,

You really sound like a roving KTM salesman lately! >:D