800GS - launch report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
While I was away attending the international launch of the 800 GS, some of you were complaining that TopBike now has too little overseas content/not enough spelling mistakes/too little meaningless photography, etc.

My motto is: It's all about the bike.

But since this is the Wilddogs and I'm one too, this report is a little peek of what a launch looks like behind the scenes and bullshit.

Hope you'll enjoy.

Right, we have just woken up, had breakfast and the 800's are waiting. But it's kak weather.  :p But it's okay, Jan du Toit is there.

DSC00608.jpg

Some pretty German chick warns us about the dangers of riding in SA. LOL. She doesn't mention the word minibustaxi. Not once...

DSC00609.jpg

We stop so the Frenchman and his buddies can have themselves photographed repeatedly. We do not ride. I get pissed off, standing by the side of the road. It was to happen a lot, with certain people not being able to resist an elaborate photography sessin. FFS!

DSC00613-1.jpg

Certain types are once again planning elaborate photos of bikes in front of minibusses... I will not name and shame, but the colour red and dodgy pants give a hint  ::)

DSC00615.jpg

Dennis Droppa of Star Motoring not giving a toss about DS fashion. Good oke. Note the cheeky display of denim protruding from under his pants.

800GS. A thing of beauty.

DSC00621.jpg

CowZulu-Natal

DSC00623.jpg

Rutal KZN - an acquired taste.

DSC00625.jpg

A reminder for Fritz, Jean-Pierre, Stavros, Guisseppe and Igor to ride on the right side of the road, ie, the left...

DSC00630.jpg

I passed the lunch venue let the narcissists get on with having them photographed and left everyone behind for some awesome solo riding. Fortunately the supplied GPS routes were good-ish.

DSC00634.jpg

Day Two: Riding the cute little F650 - the one with the 800 engine...

DSC00638.jpg

Jan "Staal" du Toit, holding my helmet. Yes, he knows of the Wild dogs...  ;D

DSC00643.jpg

Some photie I took of the F650 by a rural store.

Static1.jpg

There you go. Please compare it with the offerings of our rival mags, come April.  ;)