Mabote River Camp 280km from Pretoria

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi

I rode through the Eastern and Northern Transvaal and came across what must be the most beautiful place I have been to.

Mabote River Campâ?¦. Situated in the Water Berg +- 280km from Pretoria  Mmmmm this place is lovely, situated in a kloof with huge cliffs in front and behind you.  No electricity.  They have 2 or 3 cottages each with a deck over a small stream.  Camping plase as well.  It is self catering with all the goodies in place, pots pans a gas fridge and two plate cooker.  There is coffee tee and sugar so you need only take the good stuff
It has no front and closes with reed mats that you let down at night.  It has a boma with a big kuier plek!  They bring you a oiled flat plate for stakes, and even light all the lanterns for you  at dusk and do the dishes and clean up after you the next morningâ?¦.. how sweet is that!!

There is a dom about 20min walk from the cottages with tap water and braai facilities where you can rent canoes to ride on the dam.  The dam I was told has Bass, carp and other species for the keen angler.  It also boosts with a fantastic scenic 4x4 rout up onto the mountains and is well marked.  If they had rain there is a waterfall and some nice trails to walk with a natural river swem gat.

The route I took is 97% tar but there are some other routs as well.  When you enter the gate to Mabote it turns to a very soft river sand twee spoor track and is ok up to the main house (reception) from there it gets hairy and we came off twice hehe. The owners of this place is very nice and extremely helpful and biker friendly.  I had zero off-road experience then and they took us down to the cottages with a bakkie and picked us up two days later.  The cottages is a good 25min drive from the main house so if you looking for privacy and isolation it does not get better, no cell phone signal and the closest town is Mokopane.

Main Ent/Gate S24 04 38.4 E28 40 56.3
Camp S24 06 12.8 E28 39 11.6
Main House / Office S24 05 12.9 E28 40 46.6

Visit them at www.mabote.com

Attachments

• m_DSC00818.JPG
    m_DSC00818.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 295
  • m_DSC00821.JPG
    m_DSC00821.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 302
  • m_DSC00822.JPG