The custom build that is turning into a different kind of restoration.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINZI

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
So, this is the start of a six year scheme.  :peepwall:. Just to give you some back ground of where this restoration project is coming from.

Six years ago, my dad was very ill. We did not think that he was going to see the end of that year. We became close for the first time in my whole life. We spoke about the wrongs we did to each other, apologised and decided to move on. My dad used to be in the Navy and stationed down in Sedgefield many, many moons ago. He grew up on a farm between Randfontein and Tarlton. On one of his week passes, he pitched up on the farm on a BMW R  50/5 or something like that. He did tell me many years ago what model it was, but I can not remember anymore. I asked him again about the model a while ago, but due to his Alzheimers, he can remember it, but not tell me anymore. I am too scared to ask now again, so forgive me if I am going to leave that detail out of this restoration build.

To get back to the day that he pitched up on the farm with the bike. My Grandfather had one look at the bike and as usual, asked my dad what rubbish he came home with. To make a long story short, my dad did not see his bike for the whole week he was on pass due to the fact that my grandfather never got off the bike and was looking for excuses to ride it everyday, the whole day.

With his dad's 'approval', my dad decided that he would embrace the bikers lifestyle. He became a 'Ducktale' while young and continued with the biking lifestyle until he introduced his three sons to biking and tought them how to ride.

So, fast forward a lifetime. I sourced a 1977 R75/6, took it for a test drive and fell in love with the bike. Now, being the person that I am, I knew that I could not keep it for myself as it was to be a present for my dad. With a lot of bull sh>>ting, my dad came over one evening and I gave him the bike and thanked him for everything he gave me in life. This was the first time in my life that I saw my dad crying.

During the six years and two near funerals that he had the bike, he did about  30k kilo's. Last sunday, I got the call. My dad is ok, but he wants to return the bike to me. He realised that he can not handle the weight anymore. He forgets where he stays and he needs to slow down. He did not stop riding a bike, he just downgraded to a smaller bike. :peepwall:. Die ou kanniedood.  :thumleft: :thumleft:.

Now, I had this huge rebuilt planned for the bike, but after the comments from Jupiter, Sharingroads and 2strokedan, I decided to change the rebuild, into a restoration. The list for now is to get the following sorted: starter, carbs, clutch, small oil/diff leak and the drain on the battery.

After that, I will decide on changing from coils to electronic ignition, seat and instruments. I will be asking for a lot of advice as I will be doing most of the work myself as this is a project that is very close to my heart.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=152232.0