Alternative Ride 24th Feb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy660

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
We met as planned at the Total Garage in Richwood.
By 06h30,there were 9 of us ,were were just getting ready to leave and 2 more bikes arrived.Newy Guy and his friend on a KLR( sorry didnt get his name..)
Eleven bikes met in Richwood and we met Leftless at the Klipheuwel Junction.

Sack             Gs1200
Big Red        Gs1100
Mole             Gs 1100
Tim               650 Dakar
Leftless        HP2
Camelman    Ktm 950
Bradley         Ktm 640 Adv
Wayneh        Ktm 525
Ktm Bigger    Ktm625
Newguy        DR400
Friend           KLR650
XT660R          Dur !!

The ride went well untill Gavin Bradley got a puncture about 8 kays from Moorreessberg,Camelman helped and they used Tyre weld to make it to Moorreessberg.
There we refueled and Gavin and Camelman changed the tube,twice.They missed a couple of thorns in the tyre.

We moved out back onto the tracks.Moles BM was the next casulty.Fuel pump failure,we think.Big Red,Leftless ,myself and Camelman went back and tried to revive the bm, but no go.
So I went into Koringberg and borrowed a tow rope.
Big Red towed Mole back to town.

Sack had a deadline and bid us fairwell in Koringberg.

We found a quaint little resturant on the right  as you enter Koringberg,so we stopped for a couple of cold ones.Boy , did they go down well.
Mole organised a friend to come and collect his bike,while he relaxed and got stuck into the ales.

We pushed on to Goedverwagt where we got onto the mountan road.Boy was that a road.Even a 4 x 4 will have a hard time up that road.
Its mainley a rockey,winnding road.With plenty of loose rocks on the road. As we hit the top of the mountan , we got a fair bit of loose sand.
The GPS doesnt show the road we were on, so when we to a y-junction  we went right (wrong), but hey , we had some serious sand on that detour.
Leftless was smilling from ear to ear and a couple of us slid around behind him in the HP2`s tracks as it breezed through the sand.Gee,this man can ride !
I had a zig zag and  almost an off on a sandy corner and got my front wheel into the bush.I pulled the bike backwards and as I started spinning the back wheel trying to re-join the road,Bradley came around the corner, with Camelman in hot pursuite.
Bradley slowed to avoid hitting me and Camelman came round the corner at a speed.Well one KTM950, all fall down.
No damages,soft sand.

Big Red said his BM got tired twice, and lay down in the sand .
After going through  a few orchards, we maid it back to the main road.
The view from the top of the mountain is stunning.
We made our way down the winding road to Piketberg,where we stopped at the Spur for lunch.

NeyGuy (and friend) and Tim made there way back to town from here and skipped the lunch.

Time had caught up with us with all the breakdowns and punctures.
So at 3, we had to cut the return ride short and hit the boaring tar back to Moorreessberg.
We turned left at Moorreessberg and went down a dirt road that takes you all the way to Malmsbury.Plenty of sand on the road,lekker high speed stuff.

After Malmsbury we hit the tar again and headed home.
Many thanks all,it was kewl.
I will load my pics tomorrow and the short clip of a BMW1100 towing another one !!