Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advise on first bike and options - 125cc!?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline JeanDV

Re: Advise on first bike and options - 125cc!?
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2014, 08:41:21 pm »
The Bros is the predecessor of the xr125L.

Offline Lem

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 07:33:51 am »

jip, selle slaai, ander sous. Bros het square voorliggie en drum brake voor, en geen luggage rack. Andersins identies.  :thumleft:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Dusty Rusty

• Sparkle
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • SSS!
Re:
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2014, 07:57:02 am »
Thanks DRusty!

Noticed the choke position you are talking about. Bike on 1170 km, bought it on 1100km so will service asap. It should take care of the oil problem.

Stay near Langeberg road and work all over. Will have a look at those threads. How are you enjoying your tornado...??
\

I'm sooo in love with the Tornado!  It's an awesome commuter.  Since I upgraded from the 125 to the 250 as commuter I feel a lot safer.  I know I'm on a machine with enough power to get me out of tight situations when needed.  My confidence have grown and I even lanesplit like a real biker! The bike is fantastic around corners  too!

Consider taking your bike to Honda Tygerberg for it's service.  They are not THAT more expensive than private guys plus you get your bike back the same day.  (trust me, some peeps who attends to bikes will keep you waiting .... and waiting .... and waiting and then make their bad client service your problem :bueller: )

They also have a free "taxi" service to take you to work and back to the workshop to get your bike back.  So make you booking, enjoy their coffee and get that 1st service done!

(top up your mineral oil in the mean time so long!)  
Never underestimate the power of kindness!

http://doutrapper.wordpress.com/

Offline Dusty Rusty

• Sparkle
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • SSS!
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2014, 07:58:18 am »

jip, selle slaai, ander sous. Bros het square voorliggie en drum brake voor, en geen luggage rack. Andersins identies.  :thumleft:

Bros Brizillain
XR errmmmmm .... made in China   :ricky:
Never underestimate the power of kindness!

http://doutrapper.wordpress.com/

Offline lecap

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2014, 08:16:57 am »
You get your bike the same day from me if it's in for a service and if you bring it in the morning - and I'm one of those "private guys".
I don't have a taxi service though since I work on my own - which in turn makes sure that all work is done by some one with the necessary qualifications, skill and experience.
I also don't have a coffee machine and I charge you full mechanics rates for washing your bike should you dare to bring it to me too filthy to work on. You also brush your teeth before you see your dentist, ne ???

In some cases a service might take more than one day. I am no prophet and if something is broken which I can't get parts for straight away or which is just too labour intensive to get sorted in a day. I believe some customers struggle to understand that. It's usually the same customers who ask why their service is R 4,000 if the 50,000km bike has never seen any meaningful service before or when it included a new tire, new brake pads and new chain and sprockets ::)

I can't find any flaw with regards to the build quality of Mrs Le Cap's Chinese made XR125L. The quality is better by orders of magnitude in comparison with the Chinese junks.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline JeanDV

Re:
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2014, 08:46:11 am »
Dankie Lecap.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2014, 11:50:30 am »
I have revered some people to Le Cap without ever meeting him, because he always gives the best advise on the forum and all bikers feedback that took their bikes to him previously convinced me. If I was living in the WC I would ha taken all my work to him, for there is no bs stories. I don't trust the official dealers any more, learned the hard way. In Pretoria my bike will only see one workshop; off road cycles, Runner (Conrad)

Offline McBiker

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »
OK. Very IMPORTANT. Every second oil change CLEAN THE OIL FILTER !!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:25:04 pm by McBiker »

Offline lecap

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2014, 10:45:23 am »
OK. Very IMPORTANT. Every second oil change CLEAN THE OIL FILTER screen!!!

Since it does not cost more than maybe two minutes of labour do it with every oil change. It won't hurt!

And it's only a mesh screen not a real filter.

The engine has an oil filter though which is a centrifugal filter sitting on one end of the crank shaft. It collects the gunk which is too small to be held back by the screen and is scheduled to get disassembled at much longer intervals.
The XL250 / XL500 engines used the same system with a non serviceable centrifugal filter integrated into the right crank web.
The centrifugal filter works surprisingly well since it works based on the specific mass of a particle in the oil not on its size. A widely used filtration principle in food processing, industrial and marine applications :D
You even use it to separate uranium isotopes if you want to build a nuclear bomb so don't give me the 1960's low tech story :lol8:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline McBiker

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2014, 07:24:17 pm »
Sharp !  I took my sons bike into Honda PE a couple of years ago to do the clutch. When I dropped it off I asked the mechanic to clean the filter mechanism, while he was inside there. He looked at me as if I was dumb. I clearly told him it seems as if he does not know his own products and explained what to do. Idjits.
I don't know what they did, because I had to have the clutch done again a few weeks later in Centurion, where the job was properly done.

Had I had the time then, I would have done I myself but was just too tied up.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:25:30 pm by McBiker »