Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2T Invitational Challenge at Terra Topia  (Read 406 times)

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
2T Invitational Challenge at Terra Topia
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:47:06 pm »
So, who's in for this one this weekend?

VMX and moderns mixing it up for a couple days - great track with no SX jumps or kickers, or so they say.......

The '86 KDX has been dusted off and got some numbers and I've got the 450 for back-up - let's see how many bones I can snap this time.........  :o :o :o

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: 2T Invitational Challenge at Terra Topia
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:16:23 pm »
Enjoy!!

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 06:09:47 pm »
Well, what a day yesterday was - the grids were full - plenty 2-smoke power still out there.

KDX dressed to thrill

My mate's IT250 - the man I have to beat

We started with an hour window for free practice - VMX and modern 2T, 4T and enduro bikes.

for me it was the first time on an MX track in a year thanks to a broken leg and old age and the first time I'd ridden this particular KDX on dirt!!!
But I tell you, what a bike  :thumleft: :thumleft:

It felt a bit underpowered and has no low-down torque like I'm used to and so has to be pinned all the time but once I was used to that screaming motor, it was a pleasure - I fell in love with a 2T all over again. Now this is no motocrosser at all and bottoms out over the jumps and wallows a bit in the sand but it's corner speed and handling compared to my 450 was supreme. You just tip it into a corner, on the gas all the time, and it it just turns - no hassle, no slip and no need for a berm. On a 10m wide track the berms are far away anyway. Too far for an old, slow, git like me.

A few laps on that and then I took the 450 out - fuck, I nearly died!!! Handled like a lump of concrete compared to the light bike and opening that throttle willy-nilly was not a wise thing to do. Controlling that beast is WAY harder then the KDX.

They're both enduro bikes so have the same pap suspension and wallowy feel but that 450 was like a bus - I was quicker on the 200.

Once the racing started things changed - I just didn't have the power to keep up with the 250s. In the corners and the flicky slower parts I would catch them but as soon as we hit a straight they pulled away. It made for good racing and there were 5 of us constantly swapping places, riding mid-pack.

I dunno how fast the fast okes were and dunno how slow the slow okes were - never saw either. But I didn't get lapped nor lap anyone else - barring those who do the sudden dismount thing, of course.

Sadly, I could manage only 3 races. The old carb has a leaky needle so float level changes and I ended up with nothing unless running on full main jet, which became more and more difficult. I'm also riding with a snapped ACL in my right knee which is not so bad in an off-road enviroment but on the track started hurting me. So with a broken bike and a knacky leg, I finally gave up and cracked open a beer - well deserved, even if I say so myself.

I had a ball being on the track again but until I fix my knee I'm gonna stick to the GOCs and the funduros - and I need to keep what's left for the Amageza  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Oh, and did I race the 450? - fcuk that!! 

Me - at my age - with my limited skills - 2T all the way.

Can't wait for the VMX enduro at Sierra Ranch ......................................
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline BLK

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 06:14:45 pm »
Great effort and courage at your age.

Wish I was there to see