Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: open water swimming  (Read 11735 times)

Offline Shaun500

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
    • View Profile
Re: open water swimming
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2016, 04:00:13 pm »
When my father was a WP lifesaver at False Bay Surf Life Saving in the early 70's they used to swim long distance in the open water for training.  He told me they used to swim along the coast from Muizenberg to Fish Hoek.  They were not worried about sharks either.  That's some seriously hectic long distance swimming.   :o

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2016, 09:52:47 am »
did you guys watch the 10km Marathon Swim event final at the Olympics? Those guys are MACHINES!!!!!!  :o To do a 10km and then SPRINT the last 500m to the finish, with 8 swimmers lined up abreast...... WOW!!!
"all your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline IceCreamMan

• Axe slinger on a Duke
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2016, 01:39:32 pm »
tx ICM!
have a coach at the moment (past 3weeks), just trying to gauge how the distance starts improvig, because man oh man, my legs start to burn and i start getting out of breath eish!!
and then form goes for sh1t and the rest is downhill hahaha.

That happens to everyone , just the distance at which it starts varies :) Building disatance has to happen slowly and that's just practice.

One thing though, I kick very very little. Open water swimming the amount of propulsion you get from kicking vs the energy expenditure is hardly worth while. i never kick in competition and have been first out of the water at ironman SA (3.8 km) and various other competitions (distances from 1500 metres up) in age group. In pool competition over 50 metres its worth kicking like Olympics, in long distance i don't think its worthwhile.

But speak to coach, what works for me may not work for you.
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2016, 12:00:49 pm »
I found the trick is to get your breathing right.

Took me three months to learn to breath on the other side but really glad I did. You never know which way the wind or waves will be coming from and you need to be able to breathe both sides effortlessly. I find I tend to breathe one side only when racing but it changes depending on conditions.

Once you can do this teach your self to breath less so that regular breathing is less of a stress. My coach had me doing a length under water with a surface recovery. Each time adding more strokes between breathing. (It helps to start with fins 25m is a long way without fins when you're unfit)Once you can breath without stress then it is easier to work on correct technique as you have removed the biggest natural fear. I felt once I could breathe I had no fear about the distance it might take me longer but I know I'll finish.

Good Luck
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2016, 12:02:08 pm »
Anybody got the seasons calender. I think I'm overseas for Sun city but would like to Magoeba's kloof and some other swims.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline IceCreamMan

• Axe slinger on a Duke
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2016, 08:11:59 am »
Anybody got the seasons calender. I think I'm overseas for Sun city but would like to Magoeba's kloof and some other swims.

think its still being published.

Bosveld mile swims in Groot marico early October.

sun City , doing the 3000 metre there.

http://www.midmarmile.co.za/seeding-events/

some swims at the old Heia, must less than previously though. They also have hippo there now so don't know how that is going to play out. If i aint too scared of the hippo will do a 5 km swim there on 21 jan 2017.

I also did some dolphin mile swims in Durban earlier this year, very lekker.
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2016, 09:05:57 am »
thanks

Offline IceCreamMan

• Axe slinger on a Duke
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2016, 01:02:04 pm »
Swimmers guide allegedly just been published but when I go to iTunes it cannot be found.

mebbe still uploading
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline brianw

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2016, 04:13:55 pm »
here are some dates

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2016, 04:03:30 pm »
Thanks

Offline Bernt

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • riding makes me smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2016, 10:07:58 am »
Ebenezer Mile and 3000m, SSA Sanctioned. 18th March 2017.  Rated 2nd Best Swim in SA after Midmar. I am part of the organisers.
the water may be lower due to the drought, but there is always enough and the water is very clean. one of the few Dams in SA that you can drink from.
Suzuki AC 50. Suzuki TC 200. Honda XL 175. Honda XL 185. BMW Dakar(2001). BMW R1200GS(2004). BMW R1200GS(2006). BMW R1200GS (2010) KTM 1190R (2015) BMW R1200GS

Offline RedWolf

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2016, 09:33:36 pm »
Only discovered this thread now. I won't regard myself as an open water swimmer but have done 5 x Midmar miles, 5 x Roode 1km's, 1 at Heia. Will be doing Midmar again in 2017 and started training last week. Will also do 2 or 3 other events before the Midmar. I do swim kinda slow but I do finish..
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Axe slinger on a Duke
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2016, 02:40:05 pm »
The Sun City swim event was very cool this past weekend. Managed to crack a 3rd in age group in the 3000 metre which was cool considering all the swim clubs were there. Very well organized. Got to meet Chad Ho as well. Nice guy.

Open water season start, doing a marathon on the 6th of November so will miss Heia but that's life. Aiming for a top 10 AG at Midmar next year which with a bit of luck will be doable.
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline brianw

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2016, 02:11:22 pm »
Icm, wow congrats !
that takes lots of work!

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2017, 09:43:38 pm »
Due to the onset of Osteoarthritis  I started swimming at the gym. On holiday I  did some swimming in the river which must have made me much stronger so now I want to attempt the Sanlam Miile at Elgin on the 19th. Anyone done this swim. I see they start in batches - how does it work - what sort of intervals and how do they grade you? If it starts at 8.30 what time will the last group leave. 
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2017, 01:23:58 pm »
Ok you can all stop rushing to help :imaposer: :imaposer: I entered anyway and will be attempting my first mile swim.

Offline brianw

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2017, 03:56:38 pm »
So Pilchie, how did it go and how is the training going?

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2017, 05:20:53 pm »
Tks Brianw - it was awesome, just loved it and will definitely do it against there is water :-\ 

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:57 am »

Anyone doing the Sanlam Mile 18th Feb?

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2018, 07:58:58 am »
Awesome Day - Headed out on the bike with some friends to Elgin Country Club.  Was unusually cold and windy with lot of mist.
I swim in the early group so was finished by 9.30 and loved it once again.
Breakfast at the Farm Stall then Van Der Stell Pass, past the very depressing sight of Theewaterskloof Dam, Franshoek Pass and some G&T in Franshoek.
Wonderful Day out.