Sy's innie kaap!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTM Kev (Rip)

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Mid October'13 a fellow WD (thanks BB) alerted me to a "bargain" going in KZN ... https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=135736.0

After chatting to the seller and knowing the folk from that part of the world (Hilton), I was convinced this was not a scam.
So i paid a holding deposit, knowing I would be in KZN in 10 days.
Mid october I drove to PMB and the deal was done.

Some background here ... I actually bought this rig for the sidecar that I wanted for my R100 scrambler project (still to be completed).
I planned to sell the R60 to recoup some of the $$$ forked out.
While she was a non-runner at the time of collection, the owner convinced me that she had run a few months before.
Knowing I was taking a chance, I did the eft for the balance owing.

I trailed her to my folks place in Ballito and attempted to crank her over ... nothing  ???
Once I stripped the carb's, I realized that the seller could never had run this bike recently as the carbs were seized up with ali rust.
A quick carb service and she fired on the second crank ... you gotta love an airhead  :thumleft:

The next day I took her for a short ride and then replaced the oils with the plan to do a longer route (with my dad on standby with a trailer) the following day ... that's when I fell in love with a machine!

If I was a better narrator I could maybe pen the words, but nothing beats the class of the ride!!
Luckily I needed to spend some time in KZN in Dec/Jan, so I took every opportunity to sneak in a ride in the area.
Any plans to sell her were scuppered when I took my wife for her first pillion ride ... this one stays in the family!

Plans were to courier her down in Feb, but you know what they say ... life happens  ::)

Anyway, end May I needed to drive up to KZN, so why not take up my tailor and bring her down?
I must admit that I underestimated the width of the rig, so loading involved a bit a pushing and shoving!

Long story short, we got home last night. Apart from the damage to the side car screen (must have been brittle), she arrived in one piece.

2014-06-13121304_zpsc57a24e7.jpg

So now I need to decide ... restore her or not.
While there is surface rust (which will come out with a bit or elbow grease), the paint work (barring life's scratches and bumps) seems fairly good.
I will post some pics tomorrow for some "pier review" and imput.