2006 GS gear issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandvreter

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
I have 37 000km only on my GS 2006 (working out of the country I am never home much)
I have not really been super terrible with it but it has done almost all its kilos on dirt, sand and mud.
Now very suddenly I struggle to get it into neutral , and for some reason it slips between 4th and 5th gear when selecting the gear.
The gear indication display even shows a blank , both for the neutral and when the 4th to 5th fails on changeover. After it gets into gear the display does show the correct gear. Between 4th and 5th the bike free wheels if the gear did not engage, and of course remains in a gear when trying to select neutral. It also does it sporadically, all is well for a 100km and then it craps out.
Any ideas? Just the gear selector or maybe way more serious damage somewhere in the gearbox?
Got a service coming up in 10 days and a 7000km trip planned, so do not want to get stuck in gatsonderwater and run out of rum...