Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Antoniesberg Pass, Eastern Cape  (Read 786 times)

Offline Trygve Roberts

Antoniesberg Pass, Eastern Cape
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:55:34 pm »
This is a gem of a pass tucked away deep in the mountains north of the Baviaanskloof in a deep gorge carved out by the Grootrivier. It's an all day trip in a 4x4 from Patensie to Uniondale, but you guys will no doubt do it a lot faster. What an awesome trip. We produced a two part video on the pass itself, but the approach (especially on the eastern side) is mind-blowing. For those who have ridden this route, who has fallen?

http://mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/find-a-pass/eastern-cape/item/532-antoniesberg-pass.html

Offline FATO

Re: Antoniesberg Pass, Eastern Cape
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:13:19 pm »
Ridden it last year February. Some exiting bits. But no falls. Great ride though.
Ex-Africa semper aliquid novi!

Offline Grappa

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 01:30:41 am »
Did this trip two weekends ago on a 125. Certain sections are rocky and you need to choose your line carefully. Not too technical and can be done without much drama. Ensure tyres are not underinflated in order to avoid 'snake bite' punctures. Not much traffic passing through here which adds to the sense of isolation. Highly recommended.

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:03:46 am »
We did Grootrivierpoort yesterday. Quite rough going down from the towers towards Steytlerville. Lots of ruts, loose rock and klipbanke, but take care and its great fun.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 10:05:37 am »
I did this (and Baviaans and Prins Alfred pass in one day) some time ago on my GSA, would really love to do it now with the KTM and more experience. Magnificent riding there
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 10:14:49 am »
I did this (and Baviaans and Prins Alfred pass in one day) some time ago on my GSA, would really love to do it now with the KTM and more experience. Magnificent riding there

I think going down you'll be Ok. I've done the pass a few times over the past 11 years and its the roughest ever. Problem with a big bike going up, is too much power on those loose stone, rocky climbs.

Tiger8 did it on his 950 going down yesterday and he was fine, even though he is a crappy rider  :patch:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:19:33 am »

I think going down you'll be Ok. I've done the pass a few times over the past 11 years and its the roughest ever. Problem with a big bike going up, is too much power on those loose stone, rocky climbs.

Tiger8 did it on his 950 going down yesterday and he was fine, even though he is a crappy rider  :patch:

I did it on a very rainy day, did not find it overly challenging but did have an off on the gravel from Patensie to the pass. Hy was snot glad

My RR, worthless now without pics.
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=192280.0
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...