Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Matjiesrivier and Kromrivier bypass, Cederberg  (Read 740 times)

Offline Rustyb

Matjiesrivier and Kromrivier bypass, Cederberg
« on: June 23, 2014, 01:06:42 pm »
Where can I get information on the height of water ( driveable/ not driveable ) of the Matjies rivier drif in the Cederberg
Also, how much extra time should I allow for the Kromrivier bypass should it be impassable and is the detour well marked  ?

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
Re: Matjiesrivier and Kromrivier bypass, Cederberg
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:45:17 pm »
The water is low. They went through on the weekend.

Offline Rustyb

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:03:54 am »
Thanks

Offline Trygve Roberts

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:40:23 pm »
This reply might be a bit late, but this crossing of the Matjierivier can be lethal. If you have never done the crossing before, things can be horribly deceptive. It's also a long crossing with a shallower section in the middle. The deeper channel is on the northern side. Big 4x4's have been washed downstream here before, so a bike......?????

I recommend you watch the video clip on the Kromrivier/Truitjieskraal passes here which features a crossing under flood conditions.

http://mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/find-a-pass/western-cape/item/51-kromrivier-pass,-cederberg.html

Offline Rustyb

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:45:35 pm »
A few years ago I made that mistake. I was driving from Oasis side and the first stream tugged on the bakkie but not too badly. In the second part I realised I was in trouble. By the grace of God, I made it across.  Now I am much more cautious.