Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: @ the idiot who knocked my mirror off  (Read 12160 times)

Offline T Rex

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: @ the idiot who knocked my mirror off
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 03:06:13 am »
Lane Splitting is a PRIVILEGE and not a RIGHT..!!

If I am in the cage I always try to make space for bikes coming through, but also had an oke on the odd occasion showing me the finger and also trying to break my mirror off when I changed lanes. My indicator was on to change lanes long before the biker became visible in the mirror, which was a tell tale sign that he was obviously lane splitting too fast, after I changed lanes the biker proceeded to ride next to my driver window telling me my fortune, then proceeded to flip the bird, after not receiving any attention from me, he tried knocking off my mirror, luckily he did not succeed.

Further down the road, the biker was standing next to the road with a puncture, yellow lane.

I proceeded to stop and handed him my puncture repair kit which I carry in the vehicle. He did not know how to use it, so naturally I showed him how it works by fixing his rear tyre or the ZX10. I used two bombs to inflate it so he could continue.

While all this was happening, he proceeded to tell me how an arsehole in a bakkie that looks exactly the same as mine tried to ram him off the road by changing lanes right in front of him without even indicating.

I kept quiet and my cool. After the job was done and the guy was shaking my hand, I told him that it was me who's mirror he tried to break off and that I indicated long before he came visible in my mirror and blindspot and proceeded to change lanes from right to left.

He was speechless....

I told him that I am also a biker and will never change lanes before making 100% sure that there is no bikes coming through or in my blind spot.

Today, we are good mates and ride together often, he also learnt a lesson that day, his riding style changed dramatically as well as his attitude..

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 06:03:44 am »
As a lane splitter, it's interesting to note the different road users ... the ones glued to their phones and don't give a toss what's happening around them .... the ones that MUST see what's ahead, leering left or right .... those that don't bother with side mirrors ... the meneere that drive SUV's that can't be seen to flinch at anything and hold their line, normally on the outer edge ... the ones texting and weaving ... the snotty tupperwares that dart around like water mosquitoes ... the bloaty blingy spensive cars that slide around and don't need to use indicators .... the failed taxi drivers that become Putco bus drivers that do whatever they like .... the ones that want to read the fine print on your numberplate ....

Strangely,   the most aware and courteous road users are the taxi drivers wrt motorcyclists see you ahead of time and often make space for you as you approach.

Saying thanks to courteous drivers goes a long way. If anything it makes the other road users more aware that there are motorcyclists that are grateful for getting through the traffic quicker.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline blauth

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 06:21:07 am »
I'm glad most okes on here feel the same way I do. On my daily commutes I hardly ever have issues and when I do, just wait for the gap and get away. No need to break mirrors. Most cagers actually go out of their way to let me past, but it's pricks like the mirror smashing brigade that will change that for the rest of us.

So I want to know who this a-hole is so that cops can arrest him. They want him, all I have to do is tell them who he is.

I'll be honest, this is the sort of experience that I have every day and I do go out of my way to say thank you if someone intentionally moves over for me.

In my mind, rewarding courteous behavior with more courteous behavior will lead to more courteous behavior all around. The same principle applies to aggressive behavior. So, two things:
- what final outcome do you want?  (Hope the answer is more courteous behaviors all around)
- do you want to die today on you bike? If the answer is yes, carry on breaking peoples mirrors. Problem is, you're endangering some other poor soul who also rides bikes in traffic.

To the mirror smackers of which I see there are a few on this forum, chillax, slow down and by the time you get to work, you will think you are Moses.  :thumleft:

Offline T Rex

• Race Dog
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 07:26:05 am »

Strangely,   the most aware and courteous road users are the taxi drivers wrt motorcyclists see you ahead of time and often make space for you as you approach.

Saying thanks to courteous drivers goes a long way. If anything it makes the other road users more aware that there are motorcyclists that are grateful for getting through the traffic quicker.

I do not commute much but I have observed the same thing wrt Taxi Drivers.  In the cage however their arrogance drive me up mountains, except when I drive the Land Cruiser ..... Then they have respect.

I agree one must thank a driver if he moves out of the way for you.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 07:30:20 am »
The notion that courteous behaviour will be rewarded with more courteous behaviour only holds some truth. There are the type of person in society that will, in the presence of a lack of negative repercussions, simply take as many chances as he wishes, and break as many laws as he wishes.
You see it on the roads already, the person who does not say thank you after you pulled over into the yellow lane for him to pass,etc., this type will be forced to thank you face to face,
but in his car he is untouchable.
You saw this same behaviour in the property development market, when while the corruptible ANC was "governing" the W/Cape, how developers went on a crooked wild west
orgy, breaking every building rule in the municipal rulebook. WHY? Because the developers could get away with it.
People need rules, strictly enforced.

As long as our society carries on with this badly policed roads system in SA, these chancers will rise to the top of the pack. Simply because they are allowed to.

Laugh at this, but when only real men rode bikes, motorists had respect, willingly or unwillingly. Today every monkey sees it fashionable, or an "adventure" to ride a
bike, and the old respect for the biker has largely gone.

Car drivers also get to see the Charlie/Ewan roadshows, and they lose all respect for modern bikers. Brommers op n drol.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2014, 07:33:20 am »

I do not commute much but I have observed the same thing wrt Taxi Drivers.  In the cage however their arrogance drive me up mountains, except when I drive the Land Cruiser ..... Then they have respect.

Driving along the N2 a week ago, I said to my wife that what Garmin need to bring out is a GPS-like device that can warn you beforehand if another driver is going to thank you or not, so you can only allow polite people past. :thumleft:

Offline Maddoglips

• Pack Dog
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2014, 08:35:45 am »
I rekon it's simple, and yes I commute 7 days a week on my bike regardless of weather ect..

1. Say Thanks when deserved, I like to thank people as to me it makes me feel good and believe that next time that guy will be willing to let me through again.

2. If deserved, not when a genuine mistake, kick his ass, break his mirror, window windscreen if possible, and stop and confront him. Hopefully the 20 drivers that you've already thanked for letting you through will stop and back you up so the idiot learns to open his fu..ing eyes.

I've watched people through their windows ect.. see me, and on the last minute close the gap or just turn into the next lane at the last minute just to be spite full, and thats when point 2 comes to play.

A knock on the upper edge of a windscreen with a good fist sends these lovely road markings through it which reminds the prick cager to look.

If you want cagers to respect us more, stop all these kids getting scooters and 600's ect.. with out been educated by the parents on what biking is about, and how to handle their bikes. Way Too many mommy and daddies out their who have never ridden a bike are buying their kids these and just sending them off into the rat race blind, and Way Too MANY, are bvurying their kids cause of it. This gives us "Bikers "a bad name to start with, and alot more than a lesson been taught by breaking a mirror off a Assholes car who deserves it.

Just My Opinion, and Opinions are like Assholes, every 1 has 1, you just choose if you wanna hear it or not. Some may wanna smell it but I don't wanna know  >:D

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2014, 09:11:03 am »
Hi Tintin , do you mean that the rider punched the mirror or was he a noob and his handlebars accidently bashed the mirror off ?  And what happened before he did that ? As an aware driver your Missus must have seen him coming up behind her ?

I agree with Katana , once you find the guy or his number plate give it to the cops , then do nothing. Or even better , gives thanks that the biggest problem in your life is a broken mirror , as my gran used to say : dis aardse dinge   ;D

Saint Jangys , what a post , awesome , it made my day  :thumleft:

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2014, 09:27:58 am »
I rekon it's simple, and yes I commute 7 days a week on my bike regardless of weather ect..

1. Say Thanks when deserved, I like to thank people as to me it makes me feel good and believe that next time that guy will be willing to let me through again.

2. If deserved, not when a genuine mistake, kick his ass, break his mirror, window windscreen if possible, and stop and confront him. Hopefully the 20 drivers that you've already thanked for letting you through will stop and back you up so the idiot learns to open his fu..ing eyes.

I've watched people through their windows ect.. see me, and on the last minute close the gap or just turn into the next lane at the last minute just to be spite full, and thats when point 2 comes to play.

A knock on the upper edge of a windscreen with a good fist sends these lovely road markings through it which reminds the prick cager to look.

If you want cagers to respect us more, stop all these kids getting scooters and 600's ect.. with out been educated by the parents on what biking is about, and how to handle their bikes. Way Too many mommy and daddies out their who have never ridden a bike are buying their kids these and just sending them off into the rat race blind, and Way Too MANY, are bvurying their kids cause of it. This gives us "Bikers "a bad name to start with, and alot more than a lesson been taught by breaking a mirror off a Assholes car who deserves it.

Just My Opinion, and Opinions are like Assholes, every 1 has 1, you just choose if you wanna hear it or not. Some may wanna smell it but I don't wanna know  >:D

:laughing4:
Truly one of the more stupid post's I have read on this forum. ...Mod Deleted - Please no personal attacks
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:50:55 am by BlueBull2007 »
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2014, 09:37:34 am »

Driving along the N2 a week ago, I said to my wife that what Garmin need to bring out is a GPS-like device that can warn you beforehand if another driver is going to thank you or not, so you can only allow polite people past. :thumleft:

Methinks you should'nt pull off to be thanked-- pull over because it's the right thing to do?
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Maddoglips

• Pack Dog
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2014, 09:39:18 am »

Just My Opinion, and Opinions are like Assholes, every 1 has 1, you just choose if you wanna hear it or not. Some may wanna smell it but I don't wanna know  >:D

Truly one of the more stupid post's I have read on this forum. ...Mod Deleted - Please no personal attacks

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: U welcome  >:D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:51:20 am by BlueBull2007 »

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2014, 09:40:29 am »

No - that is where you hang back a bit, pass him on the other side and be happy in the knowledge that in 2 minutes you'll be 1.5 - 2 km away and he'll still be stuck in basically the same spot being frustrated.

Again - a sincere 'thank you' for fucking it up for the rest of us.

Answering spite with violence will always cause more violence.

If not to you who broke his mirror or windscreen then to the unsuspecting biker that is just happened to be unfortunate enough to be in your wake half a km behind you.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Grey hound
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43:29 am »
Its all about awareness and common sense , sadly not many have these attributes , even though they have a number plate
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Race Dog
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2014, 09:45:14 am »
As a lane splitter, it's interesting to note the different road users ... the ones glued to their phones and don't give a toss what's happening around them .... the ones that MUST see what's ahead, leering left or right .... those that don't bother with side mirrors ... the meneere that drive SUV's that can't be seen to flinch at anything and hold their line, normally on the outer edge ... the ones texting and weaving ... the snotty tupperwares that dart around like water mosquitoes ... the bloaty blingy spensive cars that slide around and don't need to use indicators .... the failed taxi drivers that become Putco bus drivers that do whatever they like .... the ones that want to read the fine print on your numberplate ....

Could not agree more with regards to the taxi drivers, once they see you they always give you space to go around them like they understand or something.  :thumleft:
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2014, 09:45:51 am »
The notion that courteous behaviour will be rewarded with more courteous behaviour only holds some truth. There are the type of person in society that will, in the presence of a lack of negative repercussions, simply take as many chances as he wishes, and break as many laws as he wishes.
You see it on the roads already, the person who does not say thank you after you pulled over into the yellow lane for him to pass,etc., this type will be forced to thank you face to face,
but in his car he is untouchable.
You saw this same behaviour in the property development market, when while the corruptible ANC was "governing" the W/Cape, how developers went on a crooked wild west
orgy, breaking every building rule in the municipal rulebook. WHY? Because the developers could get away with it.
People need rules, strictly enforced.

As long as our society carries on with this badly policed roads system in SA, these chancers will rise to the top of the pack. Simply because they are allowed to.

Laugh at this, but when only real men rode bikes, motorists had respect, willingly or unwillingly. Today every monkey sees it fashionable, or an "adventure" to ride a
bike, and the old respect for the biker has largely gone.

Car drivers also get to see the Charlie/Ewan roadshows, and they lose all respect for modern bikers. Brommers op n drol.

what a load of bs mate, you know as well as I do that its mostly superbikes that filter too fast and are usually the most aggressive.

I try to let people be but when shit happens and they deliberately try to push you off the road etc, its very difficult to ignore those actions.  like someone said, you get assholes in cars and assholes on bikes.  just choose which one you are.
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2014, 09:46:43 am »

No - that is where you hang back a bit, pass him on the other side and be happy in the knowledge that in 2 minutes you'll be 1.5 - 2 km away and he'll still be stuck in basically the same spot being frustrated.

Again - a sincere 'thank you' for fucking it up for the rest of us.

Answering spite with violence will always cause more violence.

If not to you who broke his mirror or windscreen then to the unsuspecting biker that is just happened to be unfortunate enough to be in your wake half a km behind you.

Agree with the vark kneukel.... can't say I am like that behind the wheel of a car but when on the bike I am (...slightly...) more forgiving.

Look, had my fair of close shaves and the anger still builds but it is much easier to just pass the guy when on a bike and think "Cheers asshole, enjoy the traffic" while you carry on your merry way.

Being stuck in a car behind the twatwaffle that just pissed you off is worse, much worse.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2014, 09:54:46 am »

Could not agree more with regards to the taxi drivers, once they see you they always give you space to go around them like they understand or something.  :thumleft:

Weirdly the guys driving these Honda Civic's with lowered suspension and seats are also more bike aware than what I thought they would be.

Maybe having to look at the road through that gap between the steering wheel and the dashboard make them use their mirrors more.

:biggrin:
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Race Dog
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2014, 10:08:06 am »

Weirdly the guys driving these Honda Civic's with lowered suspension and seats are also more bike aware than what I thought they would be.

Maybe having to look at the road through that gap between the steering wheel and the dashboard make them use their mirrors more.

:biggrin:

Either that or the fact that with the lowered suspension you are at eye level with the sharp end of the bike, makes for more caution...

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2014, 11:35:50 am »

Subie jy soek nou vir moeilikheid met my . Ek is bly dat 'n Suidlander nie van my liberale posts hou nie , maar hierdie is 'n onnodige persoonlike aanval op my , en jy hijack die thread .  :deal:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:52:21 am by BlueBull2007 »

Offline Maddoglips

• Pack Dog
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2014, 11:38:58 am »

Subie jy soek nou vir moeilikheid met my . Ek is bly dat 'n Suidlander nie van my liberale posts hou nie , maar hierdie is 'n onnodige persoonlike aanval op my , en jy hijack die thread .  :deal:

Rynet, don't let it bother you, we cant all be hippies and wanna make love or what war would they be trying to stop  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:52:39 am by BlueBull2007 »