NEW MEMBER WITH "NEW" XR PIPE ON, DE-SMOGGED ETC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc D

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi Guys. I have been following this forum for a while now and last night collected my late 2013 XR 650 L with 600 km on the clock. It hasn't even had its first service yet and is in immaculate condition. There are also no extras on the bike, mot even a keyring or crossbar pad. I got it for R  60 k in a private deal and think it was worth every cent. See pic.

After learning that this bike would no longer be imported i started looking for one after having had a 1984 XR 500 RE which i bought new and rode for 23 years. Unfortunately i never knew how many km it had done as they were only fitted with a trip meter. I only ever replaced the timing chain and piston and rings when i had it rebored after opening the engine up to do the chain which at the time was getting very noisy.  These engines just never give in. Attached pic is what it could do well. On one fine day i managed a 4.7 km wheelie up the Hillsnacks Hill into Krugersdorp.

The 650 is quite " gesmoor" in comparison to the 500 and i will therefore be replacing the necessary items after the first service. From what i read here the pipe and air filter needs to be replaced and the smog pump and snorkel removed. The carb then needs needs the "Daves mod" . After reading up about all this i  don't understand why the slide needs to have the two holes drilled larger to about 4mm. Any advise here ? Lastly i understand that Off-road Cycles in Pretoria is the one-stop shop in Gauteng for all the goodies necessary to liberate this icon. (?) Thanks Guys !