Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DAKAR 2015 thread  (Read 290445 times)

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
DAKAR 2015 thread
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:10:42 am »
Mod Edit

BANG and we are off!!!

Click Here to go to Stage 1, January 04, 2015.
  :deal:

If you want to follow the buildup as well, dont click on the link and just keep Reading from here on below.

Bluebull2007 :paw:

Nasser al-Attiyah to switch to Toyota for Dakar 2015

http://www.gulf-times.com/mobile//sport/192/details/397418/nasser-al-attiyah-to-switch-to-toyota-for-dakar-2015

Champions are always in search of new challenges to spur them on. And this constant need to up the ante is what separates them from the journeymen.

Qatar’s very own Nasser Saleh al-Attiyah won the Dakar Rally in 2011 with Volkswagen and was third in the 2014 edition driving for Mini. But for the 2015 edition, al-Attiyah has decided to switch to Toyota to further his chances of a second Dakar title.

“I have been with Mini, a team that has won the Dakar. But Toyota has never won it. I want to become the first driver to win the Dakar for Toyota. That is the main reason why I came to Toyota,” said al-Attiyah yesterday during an event held by Ooredoo to felicitate the Qatari driver’s achievements in 2014.

Al-Attiyah was gifted a gorgeous Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet by Ooredoo chairman HE Sheikh Abdullah bin Mohammed bin Saud al-Thani as part of the felicitation.

“Not only is Nasser al-Attiyah a positive role model and great brand ambassador for Ooredoo, but he’s helping put Qatar on the map for sport. We wanted to thank him for his hard work, and for the inspiration he provides for the next generation of champions,” said HE Sheikh Abdullah during the event.

The Qatari driver has indeed had a great year so far. Apart from the Dakar podium, he has won the Portuguese and Argentina rallies in the WRC2 category. He has also won the top spot of the podium in all the three races (Qatar, Kuwait and Jordan) of the Middle East Rally Championship (MERC).

Al-Attiyah is confident of maintaining his winning run in MERC and is also targeting the WRC2 title. “We have won every race in the Middle East Rally Championship and we are leading in the standings. Winning the WRC2 title is the next step. It will be very hard but we will try to be clever and collect more points in the world championship.

“I think that will be enough for us to win WRC2. Everybody has had five races out of six while we did just three. But still we have enough races left,” said al-Attiyah.

He is currently recovering from a broken rib sustained in the last rally but al-Attiyah said he is on the recovery path and will need just one more week to be fully fit. “I had a big impact incident on my side because I had used a new seat and it was a little bit loose for my body and ended up breaking one rib on the left side. I wanted to continue but the team said no.

“They said: ‘You must stop because the health is very important and recovery is important’. Now I feel much better. Maybe I need one more week to be fully fit,” he said.

While all of these rallies are preparation, the big moment will be when he tackles the Dakar, in a Toyota this time. And for that al-Attiyah has already begun preparations.

“It is important to begin my preparation early because I have changed my brand.” When asked why he decided to make the switch, al-Attiyah said, “Toyota have been asking me for a long time but I was tied down to a different team. Now I feel it is the right time to switch to a Japanese brand because Toyota have a strong car.”

Let’s hope that al-Attiyah is able to get that big win for Toyota and for himself.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:24:15 am by BlueBull2007 »
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
Re: The DAKAR 2015 thread - No it's not too early!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:01:24 am »
Gordini Testing

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rCyFDzG_XqE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rCyFDzG_XqE</a>

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:07:33 am »
Im in. If you cant see the vid below try this link-- Beauty Shot Dakar 2014

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ti9tcGuSLUw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ti9tcGuSLUw</a>

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:22:19 am »
And another good one!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IMCa7GHA3o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9IMCa7GHA3o</a>
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 02:43:51 pm »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Fortune favors the brave
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:52:43 pm »
Would love to know how many SA bike entries we have and how many get accepted when the entry list comes out. Good luck to all.
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

KTM 450RR

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 12:55:40 am »
Would love to know how many SA bike entries we have and how many get accepted when the entry list comes out. Good luck to all.

I think there are 4-5 guys this year

Offline SteveD

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 08:09:51 pm »
I posted this in another thread, but I guess it's more appropriate here......

Extracts from Wessel's letter to ASO.

24 April 2014
Etienne Lavigne
Director Dakar Management, Amuary Sport Organisation, Paris

Participation in the 2015 Dakar - Special request by Wessel  Bosman,  Afriski Ski & Mountain Resort, Kingdom of Lesotho

A 'Few Days in my Life'and the next 250 days 'till Dakar 2015

Dear Etienne
Life is about challenges, belief, passion and choices. I follow the Dakar every year with much interest and a lot of respect. Did I ever think I would compete in the Dakar when I was younger? No, I never thought it could be possible. I competed in athletics when I was younger, and held the South African record in hurdles for 17 years. I was also the South African 100m champion and captain of the National Springbok team. I qualified 75 times for four Olympic Games in times when it was not possible for us to compete internationally. I started the Afriski resort (www.afriski.net) in 1998 after my return from Japan and my visit to the Winter Olympic Games in Nagano - where I experienced Winter sport for the first time in my life. Many people laughed at my idea to build a ski resort in Africa, but in the 2013 ski season more than 30 000 people visited the resort...and now also the first big summer sport event...This past Easter weekend we hosted a super successful International UCI Class 1 Mountain Bike XCO and Downhill race in Lesotho on a track that I started to build only 3 months ago!
I always rode motorbikes on the farms, mountains and in the remote areas of Mozambique, Namibia and Botswana. In 2005, to promote winter sport in Africa, my son and I travelled 12000km from Cairo to Cape in a ... time of 19 days, without support, all the spares with us on the two bikes. It was an amazing trip and very special. My son, Johan, was seriously injured in an accident when a drunken guy drove through a red robot only six months after our trip, 1km from our home in Pretoria. He died a few months later.
Dear Etienne, does the above give me any advantage or right to try to enter Dakar 2015? No, not at all. I respect the challenges of the Dakar too much to ask for any special treatment if I can't prove to the Dakar Organisation that I am fully prepared and able to do the Dakar in a safe and responsible manner.
During December and January I stayed and rode in the Namibian desert. Brett Cummings and Glen Grundy, Dakar participants, gave me navigation equipment and helped me with navigation and roadbook training in the desert. I gave my commitment to help the Lesotho Cycling Association to build the UCO accredited MTB XCO and Downhill course and now the cyclists of Africa asked us to bid for the African Championship of 2015 and we received our International accreditation for our track. It is only now that I can give 100% to prepare for 2015 Dakar entry, training and to compete in my first Dakar. I just paid my deposit to enter for the Pharaohs rally to ride my first FIM rally! I know that I must do everything to finish and gain experience. I also know that you have 1000's of riders in the world that can do that, so how will I gain more respect from the Dakar Organisation?
I plan to ride from Southern Africa through Africa to Egypt with my bike, in 21 days, and then compete in the Pharaohs rally, starting 26 April 2014. Am I a little crazy to do that, or even to think that I will not destroy the bike? I just know it is the only way I have a chance with my Dakar application. I built everything myself on the bike, a KTM 450EXC Six Days, to be ready for scrutineering at the Pharaohs, from the frames for navigation to the sump guard with two litres of water and 10 litre extra fuel tank at the back of the bike. I also know that in this journey through Africa, with 9000km and a lot of borders in only 21 days, with even only a small delay could mean that I miss the start of the rally.
To prepare myself and prove that I can ride for 10 to 14 hours a day, still service the bike and manage to deal with all of the logistics, I want to ride from Lesotho through Africa to Egypt in less than 21 days and compete in the Pharaohs rally...I understand the risk of Africa and the unknown, but I feel that this is maybe the only way to prove to you that although I have not competed in an international rally before, I will be capable of competing in the Dakar, and  still have 8 more months to improve my skills, fitness and navigation.....
After Egypt...I must visit KTM Head Offices in Austria to reserve one of the new KTM 450RRs, because we all know that my KTM Six Days will have had its days after this effort...
My effort or plan is so small in the light of the brilliant champions competing in the Dakar and Tour de France or any of your other special events... but when I am in Europe, may I visit the offices of ASO in Paris and promote the efforts of the first rider under the Lesotho flag?
I will prepare my CV to be ready on 15 May 2015 when your entries open for 2015 Dakar…..I will be somewhere in Sudan on my way to Egypt on that day...so may I rather bring it personally to the offices of ASO with my 4000 Euro deposit?
Thank you for a brilliant event that has inspired millions.
Kind regards
Wessel Bosman
Director
Afriski Atitude Sport (Pty)Ltd 

and I just got this from Wessel
"I meet Xavier (Etienne's right-hand man) Monday at around one o'clock before I fly Monday night to Europe to collect my bike and do my Europe trip... I paid my Dakar deposit two days ago and I think there is no turning back.. I am not sure if they will accept me but if, then the hard training will begin!"

Come on Etienne, give him a shot!

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 09:11:35 pm »
Wessel phoned me before he left for Egypt. Seems like an incredible guy I hope he gets in. 

KTM 450RR

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 09:59:57 pm »
Steve, I am almost 100% sure he will get his entry. the ASO love this kind of thing, and it will be a first for Lesotho. So he has two things going for him. Go Wessel!!!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 10:00:32 pm »
He is going to have to train hard though, he nearly DNF the Pharoahs.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 10:14:03 am »
Barring the death of his son, Wessel's certainly had a life worth living - hope he makes it  :thumleft:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 07:56:07 am »
From Wessel via FB:

"I wrote in a letter that I want to visit KTM Head Office in Austria after my trip though Africa and the PHARAONS RALLY...How can I give a true recording of my day at the KTM Factory Racing.... It went much deeper than just to say great.. When I sat on the bike that Marc Coma won the 2014 Dakar, I could just imaging what went through his mind every second to stay on top of his game...Then the super clean operation at this special "factory"!!! Then unexpectedly, meeting Heinz Kinigadner.. I knew of the "KINI" racing clothes and brand but never thought this would come my way... and now tomorrow morning early Franco Picco and me will travel to his famous shop near Innsbruck to get my bike ready for my next trip to A.S.O. in Paris. Meeting all these dedicated people....Alex, Daniel, Helmut, Michael and then Heinz opened my eyes and convinced me that my road ahead must be with special planning and respect...on the right bike that can finish a Dakar..."

Offline SteveD

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 07:57:18 am »
More..
"The truck for the KTM Factory Racing Team and the 2015 Dakar...already the KTM Team starting with the logistics for 2015.. with super great guys- Angerer Michael, assistance already at 10 Dakars and promise me I will find him at the 2015 Dakar...if I will be there. Daniel Trauner spend hours listening to my crazy Ideas..and he and the KTM factory Team convinced me there is only one bike to do the 2015 Dakar with.."

Offline SteveD

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 07:58:09 am »
Even more:
"With respect and 'goose pimples' on the bike of Marc Coma, winning the 2014 Dakar...will I meet him one day in person??"

Offline SteveD

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 07:59:20 am »
"I say hallo to a bike that only a few will ride but many would love to... The 2015 450 Rally Replica for the KTM Factory Racing Team!"

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 08:14:57 am »
What an experience!!  :drif:  :drif:

Marc Coma is a terrific chap - very down to earth. I have not doubt he will meet him in time.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:15:22 am by BlueBull2007 »

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
Team Lion
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 02:17:56 pm »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 06:35:10 pm »
When are they going to make these commercially?   :drif:  :drif:

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 09:30:39 pm »
Looks like a radio control car. So cool.

KTM 450RR