Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DAKAR 2015 thread  (Read 290452 times)

Offline SteveD

Re: The DAKAR 2015 thread - No it's not too early!
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2014, 01:03:26 pm »
The riders of team SP FiFTYONE Racing put in a good showing at the Serres Rally, scoring numerous top five stage results and a top ten overall final result. The rain soaked race proved tough in the riding and navigation, something that pushed the team’s riders.

Following the exciting announcement that both riders from SP FiFTY ONE Racing gained entry to the Dakar Rally for 2015 the decision was taken to attend the Serres Rally. Well regarded for it’s more technical nature, spectacular scenery and challenging navigation, the Northern Greek event proved to be the perfect competition to practice the key skills of rally raid. A good turn out of Italian rally championship regulars and two top thirty Dakar finishers provided a good contest for the racers.

Despite a slow start to the week, lead rider Simon Pavey grew in confidence and speed over the course of the week, excelling when the terrain and navigation reached its most difficult. Aboard his stock Husqvarna FE 450, Simon slowly worked his way up the standings with a superb string of top ten results, peaking with 4th and 5th place finishes on the penultimate day helping him to climb into an impressive 8th overall.

The team’s young rider, Llewelyn Pavey suffered a more difficult week, mixing good results with an array of mechanical difficulties. The 23 year old, aboard Simon’s 2013 Dakar finishing Husqvarna, started the week strongly with a 4th and 6th place on the opening two stages. However, mechanical failure would strike. Despite working hard to solve the problem on stage, Llewelyn was towed 25km by fellow racer Steve Rose.

SS6 proved to be the highlight of the race as Llewelyn pushed hard to claim the overall victory on the short special stage, winning by an impressive three minute margin. He would only complete one more special stage before electrical issues plagued the bike again.

Simon Pavey: “The whole event was fantastic, it’s been very enjoyable. I started the week slowly; it’s how I always am. The longer events suit me and I haven’t been racing a huge amount this year. However I slowly got into the groove of things and we had a few stages with some challenging navigation. It was really funny, the guys around me were all trying so hard to ride fast that they ended riding in circles around me, coming from all directions and having big crashes. My best stages came when others struggled, the rain helped too. All up the race was really good and the team and bike were perfect.”

Llewelyn Pavey: “ The Serres has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me. I started the week well, 4th on the opening stage was a huge surprise as I had no idea where I’d fit in. From there things were going well, I was a little intimidated by the whole thing at first. The bike breaking multiple times was really tough. I worked really hard trying to fix it, over two hours in the heat, towed 25km with Steve and a whole day with our mechanic Evan. We thought we’d solved the problem and managed to take the victory on SS6. That was a huge deal for me, it’s a big, big win and the whole team was so stoked afterward. However, our electrical gremlins returned and to this point in time we still aren’t sure what happened. I really owe a big thanks to everyone who helped me this week.”

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2014, 01:39:52 pm »
and this lady is also gearing up for the Dakar....   :3some:   :thumleft:

Laia Sanz Enduro Ladies World Champion!

"I'm very happy!! Today I've won the second race and I've gotten the title. Although people maybe think that the championship was easy for me, really it was very hard for my elbow surgery. Now it's time to celebrate the title, but tomorrow I will start to think on Dakar rallying."
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline madmax

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »
and this lady is also gearing up for the Dakar....   :3some:   :thumleft:

Laia Sanz Enduro Ladies World Champion!

"I'm very happy!! Today I've won the second race and I've gotten the title. Although people maybe think that the championship was easy for me, really it was very hard for my elbow surgery. Now it's time to celebrate the title, but tomorrow I will start to think on Dakar rallying."

not the best pic of her..i do wonder though if she bats for the mens team..not a problem or issue either way..just wondering
fornicate the proletariat

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2014, 02:46:03 pm »
Thats not a very nice thing to say, she just won another enduro after all...

In case you thought otherwise...

Respect :notworthy:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:46:25 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline ktmpilot

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2014, 09:07:18 pm »
I am not sure if this is the correct thread or section to post this question on, but I am lightly toying with the idea of a Dakar spectator tour present-from-me-to-me: can anyone maybe give some advice, or maybe point me to the correct thread on the forum:

- Not looking to follow on a bike, just want to spectate as much as possible,
- Is it worthwhile trying a simple car-rental self-drive follow the race, or is one of the package deals on offer worthwhile? One that has caught my eye is Chase the Race, anyone know if that is a good choice maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
* RALLYE * HARD ENDURO * MTB *

KTM 690 ENDURO-R RALLYE-LITE * 2016 AMAGEZA FINISHER
KTM 300 XC-W * 2015 ROOF OF AFRICA BRONZE FINISHER
KTM Aera Comp 29er

Offline SteveD

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2014, 11:11:58 pm »
I am not sure if this is the correct thread or section to post this question on, but I am lightly toying with the idea of a Dakar spectator tour present-from-me-to-me: can anyone maybe give some advice, or maybe point me to the correct thread on the forum:
- Is it worthwhile trying a simple car-rental self-drive follow the race, or is one of the package deals on offer worthwhile? One that has caught my eye is Chase the Race, anyone know if that is a good choice maybe?

I toy with this idea every year, and every year life catches up with me and makes it impossible.
A few South African groups have shipped their own bikes over, and chased the race start to finish. I know some of the guys that did it in 2010, and others in 2012, and they all enjoyed it immensely. I think you have to go with the right crowd, and be prepared to be your own support, but with a large enough group it can be quite affordable.

Renting a bike or car and crossing international borders is a mission. I asked about it a few times, and didn't come right once. If the race starts and ends in the same place (like next year) then I suspect it will be easier than when it finished in a different country.

There are a few groups offering tours of portions of the race, typically within a singe country, with a circular route back to the start including a bit of sightseeing. Some seem a bit rag-tag, some seem well organised, but it is difficult to judge from far away. Having local support is very attractive, and obviously they have the advantage of speaking the language.
Chase the Race seem to be one of the good ones. I think their tour has been led for the past two years by Jago, the guy who rode with Toby Younger in Dakar 2012?

If you have the money, there are a paid seats on support teams. Basically you pay (around R200k) to become part of the team. You travel with them, get into the biviouac, the whole lot. This offers the best access, but at a price.

Not sure if this helps  ???

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:28 am »
If you go the Dakar website, you can also book a VIP tour, which is pretty larney but gives you access to the bivouac and also to the rally in some unique spots where other spectators are.

Best thing to do if you want to chase the Dakar is to do it on bikes, because there are typically 100-500,000 people PER DAY trying to do the same thing. Its gets crazy trying to keep up with the very long distances between bivouacs just to stay with the rally, and with the traffic you need to be on the road really early to make it to the next bivouac the next day. its not easy keeping up, believe me.

Just some things to think about.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline ktmpilot

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2014, 09:41:27 pm »

I toy with this idea every year, and every year life catches up with me and makes it impossible.
A few South African groups have shipped their own bikes over, and chased the race start to finish. I know some of the guys that did it in 2010, and others in 2012, and they all enjoyed it immensely. I think you have to go with the right crowd, and be prepared to be your own support, but with a large enough group it can be quite affordable.

Renting a bike or car and crossing international borders is a mission. I asked about it a few times, and didn't come right once. If the race starts and ends in the same place (like next year) then I suspect it will be easier than when it finished in a different country.

There are a few groups offering tours of portions of the race, typically within a singe country, with a circular route back to the start including a bit of sightseeing. Some seem a bit rag-tag, some seem well organised, but it is difficult to judge from far away. Having local support is very attractive, and obviously they have the advantage of speaking the language.
Chase the Race seem to be one of the good ones. I think their tour has been led for the past two years by Jago, the guy who rode with Toby Younger in Dakar 2012?

If you have the money, there are a paid seats on support teams. Basically you pay (around R200k) to become part of the team. You travel with them, get into the biviouac, the whole lot. This offers the best access, but at a price.

Not sure if this helps  ???

Thanks very much for the advice. I know some guys that followed on their bikes in 2012 and they had a great time, but there was a substantial amount of planning needed and best in a big-ish group. I have seen options like Freedom Rally which will sell you a working spot on an actual team for £12,000.00, excluding air fares, but I read an internet post by a guy that did this and he said that if the team's riders might happen to be out of the rally early on this ends up being quite a long hard drive to the end with a lot of depressed guys. In fact the guy whose post I read actually bought an airline ticket back to BA at some point in the rally just to get some decent food and rest in a hotel and then went back and re-joined closer to the end! This is of course aside from that I can certainly not afford £12,000.00 plus air fares, although I know that some such options really do turn out awesomely such as was written about in Ted Johnson's "Tales from the Bivouac" book about Ned Suesse's Dakar team on the 2012 race. So, so far it seems as if the Chase the Race option may be pretty good, I have had emails from Jago with some brochure material, will post here if anything concrete may come of it!

* RALLYE * HARD ENDURO * MTB *

KTM 690 ENDURO-R RALLYE-LITE * 2016 AMAGEZA FINISHER
KTM 300 XC-W * 2015 ROOF OF AFRICA BRONZE FINISHER
KTM Aera Comp 29er

Offline SteveD

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2014, 07:17:58 pm »
This is of course aside from that I can certainly not afford £12,000.00 plus air fares.....

Just like the rest of us. http://www.sa2dakar.co.za/#/ has a lucky draw to go with the SA team to Dakar next year, R1000 to enter.

Offline husky

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2014, 07:41:51 am »
Just as a matter of interest I notice that one Stephane Peterhansel is competing / riding in the Lesotho Sky multi day MTB stage race on now and seems to be scaring all and sundry with his speed, particularly downhill.

Then I see Giniel de Villiers and his partner won the 360ne STorms River Traverse MTB stage race in August.

The big guns are sharpening up.

Offline evansv

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2014, 07:54:46 am »
Sub
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (sold), KTM 690 Enduro R (current)

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2014, 09:19:39 am »
and in other news.... Laia Sanz has joined the Honda HRC team for Dakar 2015!!!!!  Go go go Laia!!!!  :thumleft:

https://www.facebook.com/Laiasanzfanpage/photos/a.209726739103843.49767.199216283488222/713285008748011/?type=1

"Començo una nova etapa amb #Honda HRC i estic molt il·lusionada d'anar al proper #Dakar amb aquests quatre grans pilots: Joan Barreda, Paulo Gonçalves, Hélder Rodrigues i Jeremías Israel Moltes gràcies a tots!

I start a new project with #Honda HRC and I am very happy to go next #Dakar with these great four drivers: Joan Barreda, Paulo Goncalves, Hélder Rodrigues and Israel Jeremias. Thanks!"
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2014, 12:47:04 pm »
And so the countdown begins............

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2014, 03:30:08 pm »
and in other news.... Laia Sanz has joined the Honda HRC team for Dakar 2015!!!!!  Go go go Laia!!!!  :thumleft:

https://www.facebook.com/Laiasanzfanpage/photos/a.209726739103843.49767.199216283488222/713285008748011/?type=1

"Començo una nova etapa amb #Honda HRC i estic molt il·lusionada d'anar al proper #Dakar amb aquests quatre grans pilots: Joan Barreda, Paulo Gonçalves, Hélder Rodrigues i Jeremías Israel Moltes gràcies a tots!

I start a new project with #Honda HRC and I am very happy to go next #Dakar with these great four drivers: Joan Barreda, Paulo Goncalves, Hélder Rodrigues and Israel Jeremias. Thanks!"

so she has 4 water carriers  :biggrin:
i'm sure all those boys want to look after her
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Advrider

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2014, 04:35:18 pm »
Honda looks good, but I am holding thumbs for Yamaha....
Live to ride, Love to adventure, Ride for Jesus...

Offline SteveD

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2014, 07:12:53 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dft3ZNL2yEs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dft3ZNL2yEs</a>

Offline Rokie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2014, 05:33:44 pm »
Looks like everyone is in Amageza mode - fair enough, but how about some Dakar comments?
[I guess you could ask me the same, but I'd rather hear from the more knowledgeable dudes]
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)

Online Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2014, 06:37:30 pm »
Very excited about Brian Baragwanath in the Dakar. One of the most talented racers in SA (IMO) and I will definitely back him to be very competitive. Go Brian!!
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline SteveD

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2014, 04:54:02 pm »
Team SP FiFTY ONE are excited to announce the opening of a spot in their race support vehicle for the 2015 Dakar Rally. The seat will provide the unique opportunity for someone to fully immerse themselves in the full Dakar experience by becoming a fully functioning member of a privateer Dakar team.

Experiencing the full on force of the Dakar Rally is something that very few people are provided the opportunity to do. Partaking in the Dakar, as a racer or as crew is one of the toughest experiences you can immerse yourself in; a huge project that brings together and binds people like nothing else.

At Team SP FiFTYONE Racing we are extremely excited to offer this opportunity, to be able to bring someone new into our team and embark on an epic adventure together. The open position is to be the team driver, a position that involves both driving, managing the team’s camp for the entire event and all of the pre-event preparation.

The entire trip will provide the chosen applicant with a truly one off experience. The immense South American crowds, the humongous scale of the Dakar train, the epic crossings of the Andes and the physical challenge will test and enrich like nothing else.

The position is a buy-in seat, meaning all applicants have to fund themselves to attend the race. The cost of the entire project is £20,000 pounds. It is all-inclusive, including flights, food, clothing, fuel, food, and the entry fee for the Dakar.

For more information or to apply for the position, contact simon@offroadskills.com

Paul Green, Team Manager:
"I was the driver in 2013 for the team and it was an incredible, life changing experience. I’ll never be a good enough rider, but driving and logistics are my expertise and for me it couldn’t have been a more enriching, challenging and more fluffing, satisfying experience. The whole project, from build up to standing on that podium with Simon, Evan and our families was other worldy and I couldn’t recommend it more."

Simon Pavey, Team Owner:
"We’re really excited to be able to bring another person into the team to share this incredible experience with us. The Dakar is an incredibly unique experience. It’s a gruelling but entirely rewarding few weeks, the epic drives, the emotional ups and downs, the huge crowds of the Argentinian people – All of it adds up into an entrancing, unforgettable, life affirming trip. I’ve been nine times now and each one still provides me with experiences and feelings that just don’t happen elsewhere."

SteveD:
"If only I had the money...."

Offline Chili Dog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Remember. Your unique....like everyone else.
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:06 pm »
Sub

Some people are like Slinky's! Good for nothing, but still bring a big smile to you face when you push them down the stairs.