Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DAKAR 2015 thread  (Read 290453 times)

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
Re: The DAKAR 2015 thread - No it's not too early!
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2014, 08:12:20 am »
Team SP FiFTY ONE are excited to announce the opening of a spot in their race support vehicle for the 2015 Dakar Rally. The seat will provide the unique opportunity for someone to fully immerse themselves in the full Dakar experience by becoming a fully functioning member of a privateer Dakar team.

Experiencing the full on force of the Dakar Rally is something that very few people are provided the opportunity to do. Partaking in the Dakar, as a racer or as crew is one of the toughest experiences you can immerse yourself in; a huge project that brings together and binds people like nothing else.

At Team SP FiFTYONE Racing we are extremely excited to offer this opportunity, to be able to bring someone new into our team and embark on an epic adventure together. The open position is to be the team driver, a position that involves both driving, managing the teamís camp for the entire event and all of the pre-event preparation.

The entire trip will provide the chosen applicant with a truly one off experience. The immense South American crowds, the humongous scale of the Dakar train, the epic crossings of the Andes and the physical challenge will test and enrich like nothing else.

The position is a buy-in seat, meaning all applicants have to fund themselves to attend the race. The cost of the entire project is £20,000 pounds. It is all-inclusive, including flights, food, clothing, fuel, food, and the entry fee for the Dakar.

For more information or to apply for the position, contact simon@offroadskills.com

Paul Green, Team Manager:
"I was the driver in 2013 for the team and it was an incredible, life changing experience. Iíll never be a good enough rider, but driving and logistics are my expertise and for me it couldnít have been a more enriching, challenging and more fluffing, satisfying experience. The whole project, from build up to standing on that podium with Simon, Evan and our families was other worldy and I couldnít recommend it more."

Simon Pavey, Team Owner:
"Weíre really excited to be able to bring another person into the team to share this incredible experience with us. The Dakar is an incredibly unique experience. Itís a gruelling but entirely rewarding few weeks, the epic drives, the emotional ups and downs, the huge crowds of the Argentinian people Ė All of it adds up into an entrancing, unforgettable, life affirming trip. Iíve been nine times now and each one still provides me with experiences and feelings that just donít happen elsewhere."

SteveD:
"If only I had the money...."

I showed this to my wife and she thought i was joking,
When she realised i was serious, she wanted to know what the budget for divorce was if wanted to waste so much money  ::)

chicks don't get it  >:D
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2014, 08:16:39 am »
so essentially you need about 500K  :o

Worth it in my opinion  :thumleft:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2014, 01:13:36 pm »
I'm one of those in full Amageza mode, but the Dakar boys deserve a bit more attention....

So:
Kawasaki presentation on last 21 September
KL-KXF

Offline SteveD

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2014, 01:18:38 pm »
Honda are taking a big team, including one lady nogal. Well deserved, that, and on a pretty sexy looking bike....

Offline SteveD

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2014, 01:20:04 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ldO7-EiRaP4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ldO7-EiRaP4</a>

Offline SteveD

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2014, 01:25:31 pm »
..but the sexiest (for me) has to be the new KTM.
This is from Riaan - "My new rally bike, and yes it even faster than it looks. It makes my eyes water inside my goggles."

Interesting that they have a RNS Tripmaster rather than an ICO. And they have dual ERTF Speedocaps.

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Health and Safetitty matters
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2014, 01:28:03 pm »
Wowzers.
I do like the look of those Katooms.

Offline Takashi

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »
Damn thats a sexy bike.

Riaan is one lucky guy.

The stepper motor sticking outside the roadbook looks very exposed to me.

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2014, 02:26:22 pm »
Ktm do know how to make a sexy looking rally bike!!!!
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2014, 03:09:20 pm »
David Reeve is currently riding in the OILIBYA RALLYE MAROC

I saw his bike here at the KTM workshop in Lusaka a few days before it got sent to Morocco, man it's a sexy bike!!!

Some pics of him racing in Morocco

My mate Nasser is also there....

Dit gaan al te  lekker daar in Morocco!!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:12:09 pm by KnopKop »

Offline The_Crow

• Race Dog
    • Bike Hub
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2014, 03:16:33 pm »
And the award for the pic with the most plastic in it goes to:

There's a feeling I get
When I look to the West
And my spirit is crying for leaving

Offline evansv

« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2014, 03:24:50 pm »
One tends to find a camel toe, or 2 in the desert :imaposer:
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (sold), KTM 690 Enduro R (current)

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2014, 03:27:22 pm »
And the award for the pic with the most plastic in it goes to:

Sorry I really don't want to nit-pick, but WTF and who cares. Mooi was nog nooit lelik nie.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2014, 03:44:14 pm »
David Reeve is currently riding in the OILIBYA RALLYE MAROC

I actually met him at the airport last year, on his way to Dakar. Really nice guy, it seems. Possibly a bit prone to red mist syndrome.
I really hope he finishes next year, on his third attempt. He was injured on both of his last two attempts, both of them resulting in broken bones. You have to respect a guy driven that hard to get to the finish.

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Race Dog
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2014, 09:04:11 pm »
David going very well!!!

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline SteveD

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2014, 09:33:00 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ykWSw2DEWnM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ykWSw2DEWnM</a>

Offline SteveD

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2014, 09:39:42 pm »
How does Marc Coma prepare for the Dakar?
Exclusive: Four-time Dakar winner reveals his preparation techniques for the worldís toughest rally.

On January 4, the 37th edition of the toughest race in the world starts in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The Dakar Rally is a two-week sprint through deserts, mountains, wetlands and salt flats across three countries. The 2014 edition was widely regarded as one of the toughest of all time and the 2015 version promises to be even tougher.

We cornered defending motorbike champion Marc Coma at the Dakar 2015 presentation in Barcelona, Spain, where he rubbed shoulders with legends like Carlos Sainz, Nani Roma, Joan Barreda and Laia Sanz.

Here Marc Coma reveals how to prepare mentally and physically for the ordeal of racing the Dakar 2015...

1. Don't panic!
The psychological aspect is important in all sports, but it's essential in rally raids. Vital. It's every bit as important as the physical aspect. We exercise motivation and self-control because you have to learn how to manage stress in case, for example, you get lost.

2. Get into a routine
Routines can be as simple as not to forget to change the mapping when the terrain goes from dunes to stones. In the tension of the race you tend to forget. So to avoid getting lost or having a mechanical breakdown, your routines should be so well established that they're second nature.

3. Healthy bike, healthy body
It's very important to be organized and follow a routine on and off the bike. So when you finish the stage, it's important to recover and hydrate your body.

4. Seek professional help
I go to the High Performance Centre of Sant Cugat (here in Barcelona) which works in three areas: medical, psychological and nutritional. They put me through two stress tests and two or three anthropometric studies to find my levels of fat and muscle.

5. Tuning your body
Itís only been the last five or six years that I took control my diet. Since then I've lost quite a lot of weight. That means that physically I recover more quickly and I suffer less muscle injuries. But you do need to maintain a good percentage of fat so that you have some reserves in an emergency.

6. Different meals, same calories
My diet usually changes every two months. The menu is different, but the calorie intake is the same. Before the Dakar, it changes each week. The week before the race we have a special menu and then during the race you always have to adapt what you eat according to which country you're in.

7. Pedal power
I do almost all my training on a bicycle. It's healthy and fun at the same time. I usually do long runs of up to five hours or 120km on a road bike, although sometimes I ride a mountain bike for variety.

8. Riding enduro for rhythm
I use an enduro bike to practice my riding rhythm. A typical week consists of working on three areas: push bike, motorbike and gym. Every day we exercise with two of them: usually either the gym or riding the motorbike in the morning to build muscle for tackling long runs with the road bicycle in the afternoon.

From http://www.redbull.com/za/en/motorsports/offroad/stories/1331658620256/marc-coma-training-ahead-of-dakar-2015

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2014, 12:13:57 pm »
Very interesting article - thanks Steve! Any idea what most of the top Dakar riders are wearing for protection under their rally jackets these days? Hard shell? Soft shell? Brand? I guess it's all sponsor related but I'm interested...

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2014, 02:17:04 pm »
I'm interested in where they carry all their gear? And how do they keep cool in what appears to be a leather jacket?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2014, 04:01:05 pm »
I'm one of those in full Amageza mode, but the Dakar boys deserve a bit more attention....

So:
Kawasaki presentation on last 21 September
KL-KXF

You know the expression "if it looks right it is right" - well, I think there's some truth in that, and I can't help but noticing how old fashioned the Kawasaki rally bike looks. Sort of like what Rally Management Services was doing years ago with their old 525-based bike.

Certainly a bit of an ugly duckling compared to the latest KTM/Honda stuff.