Trac-Mac Bellville - won't see me again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ratsalad

I had to be in CT for a meeting last Friday so thought I'll ride the bike down to have the chain and sprockets replaced and save me some petrol money in the process. Trac-Mac Bellville seemed like a good place as it was on the way and if I left early I could be finished before the meeting and be home early. I've had stuff done at Trac Mac previously and never had problems.
So I stopped there, asked for prices - R860 for an o-rig chain and 2 sprockets (520). X-ring was around R1100 so I went for the o-ring option and they said yes they have stock and it will take about 1.5 hours.
I was still on schedule so said right lets do it.
Theres nowhere to sit, so I walk around.
Soon my front sprocket is off and the new one on. The start rummaging for the rear sprocket. I go for another walk.
When I come back later I see theres no progress. One of the guys walk out with a sprocket.
I get curious and ask whats going on - they show me the holes in my sprocket is counter sunk. They don't have one like that so sent somebody next door to see if they can drill the holes out.
I ask if this is a good idea, but before we can discuss it, the messenger comes back and reports failure - I couldn't catch the reason but there I was - they don't have a rear sprocket for me!
Options are non-existent. I have wasted an hour and will now have to go somewhere else.
So the old stuff will have to go back.
Everyone looses interest in my bike (I'm no longer a paying customer). Finally one guy starts working on my bike after I get cross - but slowly because I'm now a difficult customer - while the clock is ticking for me.
Then a guy who drove up in a fancy car starts browsing for jackets and helmets and keeps asking the guy who's supposed to finish my bike about prices etc to the point where he leaves my bike and go and help the other customer.
I can stay calm and I can put back a wheel, so I take my jacket off and start working on my bike so I can get out of there as time was now an issue.
The guy at the till shrugs and says "Sorry about that" as I leave.
Meeting lasts until 4 and I get back home 600km's later without the chain and sprockets - what a balls-up!