Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wolf and Husky Sanctuary - Reitz  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Wayne Duck

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Freedom Behind Bars
Wolf and Husky Sanctuary - Reitz
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:00:36 pm »
Hi,

I found this place a few years back on one of my wanderings. I have wanted to take my fiance there for a while now, so planned it into a trip down to Underberg last April.

The sanctuary is just outside of Reitz in the Free State...plenty of gravel roads to get there from anywhere  :thumleft:  plus there are a few decent B&B's in Reitz...we stayed at Poelanies in one of their wooden cabins - website: http://www.poelanies.co.za/

Larry, the "owner/caretaker" of the wolf sanctuary started this for abandoned wolves and huskies, i.e. people who thought they'd make nice pets, etc. but since changed their minds! Here is the sanctuary's web site...  http://www.huskyromi.co.za/

Larry will take you on a guided tour of all the enclosures, telling you all about the wolves / huskies - he has a name for each of the over 200 there! He'll let you into some of the enclosures so that you can get up close and personal with these wonderful animals...certainly not the "big bad wolf" perception we've all grown up with!
He looks after all these animals on donations from the local farmers (food in the form of beef and chicken) and from people like us that pop in there to visit. All he asks for is a donation after your tour of the place, really worth while.

Here are some photos, mainly of Ronelle rolling around in the dirt while the wolves sniff and timidly get closer to her! She said that she found spending this time with these amazing animals "extremely therapeutic"  ;D

Links to my Ride Reports...
I have listed (with links) all my ride reports at the start of this ride report here:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=121459.0

Offline drewdza

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • world leader pretend
Re: Wolf and Husky Sanctuary - Reitz
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:11:39 pm »
Was there last year. Couldn't quite shake the feeling that we were being sussed out as a lunch option, especially the kids  :(

Whilst the majority seemed placid enough, some of those animals are downright scary.....Brothers Grimm and all that.

Interesting place though.
800XC

Offline Wayne Duck

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Freedom Behind Bars
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 01:48:26 pm »
Was there last year. Couldn't quite shake the feeling that we were being sussed out as a lunch option, especially the kids  :(

Whilst the majority seemed placid enough, some of those animals are downright scary.....Brothers Grimm and all that.

Interesting place though.

Ja, some are pretty big!
But, as Larry says, that is why they do not make great pets... the wolf, being a pack animal, sees your whole family as members of "his" pack. As the wolf grows up it has the instinct to prove it's dominance over other members of the pack so, it starts with the youngest / smallest - which in this case will be your smallest child!!  :o
Links to my Ride Reports...
I have listed (with links) all my ride reports at the start of this ride report here:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=121459.0

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 04:02:31 pm »
Siberian Huskies are very mis-understood creatures. It's a pity that the western world brought them out of their original habitat.  The amount of unwanted Sibes that are in shelters around the world is tragically sad.

Thanks for sharing!!!! :thumleft:

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 04:07:29 pm »
Was introduced to the place ages ago and still go back every now and then. A great cause and fantastic experience. Some truly saddening stories of how he comes across some of these beasts!
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline EssBee

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 04:12:29 pm »
Was introduced to the place ages ago and still go back every now and then. A great cause and fantastic experience. Some truly saddening stories of how he comes across some of these beasts!

Wifey and I can tell you stories aswell....it is heartbreaking! There are certain individuals in SA ( well...globally actually ) who work their butts off for NO personal gain, rescuing these poor magnificent animals...these people are absolute saints.

Anyway...that's besides the point of this thread...

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:14:11 pm »
i been wanting to go for ages
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Dusty Rusty

• Sparkle
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • SSS!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 05:38:57 pm »
Hope my travels wll take me there one day

Thanks for sharing!

(Isn't there one in the Knysna area as well?)
Never underestimate the power of kindness!

http://doutrapper.wordpress.com/