Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Engine rebuild  (Read 4558 times)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re: Engine rebuild
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 04:12:28 pm »
And then you see some with over 150 000km without ever missing a beat. Eish, lot of money these parts!

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 04:22:40 pm »
Not stirring...but this incident just proves that any bike can be a money pit...not only a KTM!

Regular inspections, and not only sheduled maintenance needs to be conducted.

One can maybe be a bit slack on a commuter, but not on a DS which is regularly used for its intended use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Herby

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 10:16:03 pm »
Daardie ingesuigde filters Dit kan wees dat die lae stof die porieuse materiaal blokeer en as die enjin revolusies styg soek daardie twee groot potte baie lug en suig die filter in Party manne smeer ook rubber ghries om die filter se rante vir n beter seel wat op die spesifike sagte rubber rand van die filter sal bydra dat dit binne toe glip Dit kan help om n spaar filter op lang stofpaaie saam te neem vir vervanging of om filters gereeld uit te skud om van oormatige stof ontslae te raak Maak ook seker die filter se rubber randseel is skoon en olie/ghriesvry

Offline l3oK

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:47 am »
So in short after 120 days this is how it played out:

BMW advised that the most cost effective way would be to buy a secondhand motor in put it in, they know a guy...
I went for it, fix the problem and put the secondhand motor in, 25k for a motor with 40k on the clock and 8k in labor and other parts later I had my bike back. Sir this bike is like new...
Until about 70km later, exact same issue on the other side this time  :o BM dealer calls me back after about 2 weeks, we arranged with the engine supplier to supply the parts and we will do the labor and rebuild the engine.
After some more time got a call, the bike is ready, we even put 200km on the clock just to make sure, we fitted a resistor on the sensor to make mixture a bit richer, ok I thought, they found the problem this time.
Untill about 270km later, exact same issue.  :o BM dealer calls back after another 2 weeks goes by, engine supplier does not want to supply parts anymore, we think you should fit new valves this time sir... well, have you found out what the problem is? Problem sir? Why is it dropping valves, uhhmm let us send the engine data to Germany. You mean you did not do that the very first time?!
So I refuse to accept that, well sir, if you went with new parts the first time you would have a warranty on parts, well except that the second time around it was on the other side, so no I would not. Why have you not found what is causing this, surely I could not just have stumbled onto another valve that felt like everything was just too much and that he'd rather give up on live? Let us send the bike for analysis sir...
Final answer from BM, Sir we not know... what would you like us to do with the bike?

So lesson from my story, if you still have a BMW, when it breaks, dig a big hole right next to where you are and push the bike into it, DO NOT take it to a BMW dealer to get fixed, they do not know how to...

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:41 am »
So in short after 120 days this is how it played out:

BMW advised that the most cost effective way would be to buy a secondhand motor in put it in, they know a guy...
I went for it, fix the problem and put the secondhand motor in, 25k for a motor with 40k on the clock and 8k in labor and other parts later I had my bike back. Sir this bike is like new...
Until about 70km later, exact same issue on the other side this time  :o BM dealer calls me back after about 2 weeks, we arranged with the engine supplier to supply the parts and we will do the labor and rebuild the engine.
After some more time got a call, the bike is ready, we even put 200km on the clock just to make sure, we fitted a resistor on the sensor to make mixture a bit richer, ok I thought, they found the problem this time.
Untill about 270km later, exact same issue.  :o BM dealer calls back after another 2 weeks goes by, engine supplier does not want to supply parts anymore, we think you should fit new valves this time sir... well, have you found out what the problem is? Problem sir? Why is it dropping valves, uhhmm let us send the engine data to Germany. You mean you did not do that the very first time?!
So I refuse to accept that, well sir, if you went with new parts the first time you would have a warranty on parts, well except that the second time around it was on the other side, so no I would not. Why have you not found what is causing this, surely I could not just have stumbled onto another valve that felt like everything was just too much and that he'd rather give up on live? Let us send the bike for analysis sir...
Final answer from BM, Sir we not know... what would you like us to do with the bike?

So lesson from my story, if you still have a BMW, when it breaks, dig a big hole right next to where you are and push the bike into it, DO NOT take it to a BMW dealer to get fixed, they do not know how to...

So wait, if I see it right it goes like this:
1. Drop valves (right side)
2. Replace engine
3. Drop valves again (left side - although irrelevant as it's a new engine)
4. Repair engine
5. Drop valves again (same side?)

Something is fishy here. 2 engine's, and valves dropped 3 times? Eish, I hope I never have your bad luck. Strongs, mate.

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 11:34:43 am »
2 different engines???  Blocked oil cooler mayhap?
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline ExploreSA

• www.gsrental.co.za
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 11:41:52 am »
Damn.

I have a 2011 twincam engine available.

Obviously no fit.
I live to please but don't always succeed

Online Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 12:53:54 pm »
This is typical of bikes that have drowned.  Have seen it multiple times!

Where did the 2nd hand motor come from?  My guess would be from a bike that drowned and was written off.

Looking at this photo of ChrisL's piston ...

That damage to the piston is exactly where the lower intake valve sits.  I have about 6 pistons here in my junk bin with damage on exactly the same place.  All the bikes they came from had been drowned and all are RHS pistons.  Typically, if the piston doesn't self destruct, the the RHS lower intake valve looses it's head.

Looking inside the airbox you will see why.  The intake for the RHS cylinder is in a direct line of any water entering through the filter opening, whereas the LHS intake is off toward the right.  The water then rushes down the RHS intake and suddenly cools the very hot lower valve and the portion of a very hot piston right at the valve.

Give it a few hundred (if you're lucky a few thousand) kms and the motor will either drop that valve or the piston will loose a chunk on the crown.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:57:05 am by Jughead »
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com