Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ural EFI's are here...  (Read 5700 times)

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • The past is a foreign country
Re: Ural EFI's are here...
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 06:51:40 pm »
Bugger me. I had one of these #$%^&* things in 1976 as a student in Edinburgh. The tool kit came with a packet of cigarrette papers to identify when the points opened and a device that went in the spark plug hole to identify TDC. The manual had winter storage instructions for -20 and -40 celcius. There was a reason why you could buy one for buttons. My guess is that there still is. 
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 01:32:39 pm »
Bugger me. I had one of these #$%^&* things in 1976 as a student in Edinburgh. The tool kit came with a packet of cigarrette papers to identify when the points opened and a device that went in the spark plug hole to identify TDC. The manual had winter storage instructions for -20 and -40 celcius. There was a reason why you could buy one for buttons. My guess is that there still is. 

You clearly haven't seen the price on the new ones: R190 000
You got to be a gear head to like them
I would love to take one for a ride

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Ural (all models)
  • GS Adventure Sidecar...
    • Sidecar Africa
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 03:11:55 pm »
Hi Hillman

You are welcome at the shop anytime and a test drive is only a pleasure - just arrange a time first please...

The EFI really makes a huge difference in how the power is delivered and the torque has been dramatically improved. This makes it easier to ride steep inclines like Sani and others... With the EFI there have been other commonsense changes too, like disk brakes all round, hydraulic steering damper, huge improvements to the air box with a very high air intake for deep water cruising etc.

The fuel consumption is insane IF YOU DRIVE PROPERLY - on our recent week long trip to the Karoo Jaco got 17.5 km/l which is properly good for a sidecar. Same gearbox, same final drive = same top speed, but you can maintain it better though as there is more power available for hills...

Life is lived forwards but best understood backwards...

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 07:39:04 pm »
Hi Hillman

You are welcome at the shop anytime and a test drive is only a pleasure - just arrange a time first please...

The EFI really makes a huge difference in how the power is delivered and the torque has been dramatically improved. This makes it easier to ride steep inclines like Sani and others... With the EFI there have been other commonsense changes too, like disk brakes all round, hydraulic steering damper, huge improvements to the air box with a very high air intake for deep water cruising etc.

The fuel consumption is insane IF YOU DRIVE PROPERLY - on our recent week long trip to the Karoo Jaco got 17.5 km/l which is properly good for a sidecar. Same gearbox, same final drive = same top speed, but you can maintain it better though as there is more power available for hills...

All makes sense and seems they got the configuration of the FI right first time around. 17km/l is indeed very good fuel economy on a side car!
Thanks for the invite, I know where you guys are on the Henops road, will phone one day and come see for myself.

ps: are they still busy tarring that road? it's been a mess with dangerous trenches on the edges - almost bend my Transalps wheel there having to make way for a truck!