Mothballed DR200 - bringing it back to life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skootaboy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Mothballed DR200 - bringing it back to life
Last night I took delivery of a Suzuki DR200 SEW. It's a 2004 model with 648 km's on the clock. Yes - you heard right - 4 years old and only 640 km's!!. I paid R13 000. The bike has been standing for some time (some years I think). The bikes a tad dusty but otherwise no obvious damage or scratches. Obviously the battery is dead as a doornail - I'll probably get a new one. I can't get the engine to run though. After about 20 kickstarts the engine fires erratically but after a few seconds dies. There appears to be a bit of rust in the tank probably caused by condensation during storage. There is probably a bit of water in the petrol as well. I'll probably take the carb off and clean it out tonight. There might be a bit of rust dust clogging the fuel system (jets and stuff). There might be a filter in the petcock as well - probably also clogged with rust dust.  I also noticed that there's brake fluid on the front caliper and disk. I can't see where it's leaking from. It definitely not leaking from the hose or the connection. Must be from a seal within the caliper somewhere. Do you guys think I should replace the tubes as well? What else should I do to bring this bike back to life?