Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Zion  (Read 1891 times)

Offline fudgypup

Zion
« on: June 30, 2014, 07:12:19 pm »
Zion National Park in southwestern Utah is where I took the gf for some two up riding.  I did this ride three years ago with my friend Jesse who organizes it.  They call it the "flying monkey" adventure rally because the place they originally had it overlooked an old rocket test facility where they'd use monkeys to test ejection seats and other rocket components.  They have settled on a little place called Zion Ponderosa Ranch resort (you can google it).  It is just outside the east entrance of the national park. Nice place with pool, jacuzzi, showers, laundry, restaurant, etc...

Zion is very beautiful with lots of colorful rock formations and wildlife.  Here's a bighorn sheep doing what it is they do.

This is our third time riding two up on dirt.  I took the gf once close to home to the top of a mountain and then again out to Death Valley.

Get yourself a short girlfriend like I did if you like riding two up :)

This was at the lava tubes you'll see in the video later

We spent the first day exploring the higher country north of where we were staying.  We didn't get to Bryce Canyon but saw Navajo lake, Duck Creek Village.  About 65 miles was it.  Lots of great views, green meadows, pine trees, etc...

Some others went south to Coral Pink Sand Dunes park near Kanab.  This is a lot of fun if you like sand but not for us riding two up this time.  My buddy rode this last year on his GS but he's really good and the sand was wet at the time.

A rancher nearby is raising bison.  They taste great!

Offline fudgypup

Re: Zion
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 07:41:41 pm »
Day two we headed south to see the north rim of the Grand Canyon at a place called Toroweap.  It's very remote and not a lot of people make it out to see it.  It's 60 miles of dirt road off the highway and there's no cell phone service, gas, water or electricity.  The roads are very good when it's dry with only a few silt patches here and there.  We did tip over in one and became two human powdered donuts.  :lol8:

We passed a dead snake in the road (this one was not poisonous).

The views there are amazing.  3,000 foot vertical drop straight to the bottom!  You can hang your feet right over the edge.

On the way back, we came through Zion national park.  The park nazi's wanted me to pay another $12 even though it's a public park our tax dollars supposedly pay for and even though I'd already purchased a pass the day before.  It was because I had a passenger on the back.

My friend Zach said let's check out this trail down this road so we followed him for a mile or so before he stops at the side of the road.  He said a tram driver passing us motioned for him to turn around.  I said that's probably correct since I saw a sign saying we were supposed to have some "red permit" to be on this road.  So we did the right thing and turned around.  But on the way out, another tram driver passed us with his hand out the window giving us the "thumbs down."  See, we were being publicly shamed for daring to ride a motorcycle on a paved road in a public park.  So naturally I gave him my own gesture but it was a different finger and it was pointing up, not down.   :lol8:

We rolled past the lodge on our way out of this "forbidden road" and we saw a ranger pull out and put his red/blue flashing lights on.  I noticed in my rear view mirror that a tram pulled out blocking him from pursuing us so I accelerated away to hopefully begin a high-speed chase.  We were able to peacefully ride out of there without any problems but I'm sure they'll tase me the next time I try to go through there.

I really should never had to pay anything because we weren't staying inside the park, nor even stopping.  We had to go through the park to get to the other side where we were staying and it takes too long to drive around.  Death Valley national park is similar but they do not charge you if you're just passing through, because it is on an "interstate highway."  When you do buy a permit for a motorcycle in Death Valley, it's only $10 and doesn't matter if it's one or two riders on a motorcycle.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am.  We had our own little government shutdown to deal with because politicians couldn't decide how much money to be spent in the budget and unfortunately the National Park Service was just a bit too eager to put the screws to the public for it.  There were cases all over the country where NPS employees went out of their way to punish the public.  In one case in South Dakota near Mt. Rushmore, the NPS (even though they're supposedly "shut down") manned a roadside pull-out telling cars passing by they couldn't even pull off the public road to view the massive sculpture from a public place.  Another park closed a privately-run restaurant and inn because it was on a park road.  In DC they closed a war memorial and turned away 90 year old WWII veterans who had made the trip from around the country.  At Yellowstone, they scared a group of European tourists saying they had to get back on the bus immediately and could not use the public restrooms.  The tourists said it reminded them of Nazi Germany.  We've had government closures before but they were quite a bit more punitive this time at our "public" parks.

Offline fudgypup

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 07:45:58 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3upVdBjDNII" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3upVdBjDNII</a>

Offline COLES

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 04:40:33 pm »

Awesome amazing beautiful thank u for sharing    much more please

Offline Difflock

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Make it a Habit to RIDE SAFELY!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 06:12:42 pm »
Thanx for sharing, beautiful area. Great pics.
1) XT660R 2010
2) R1150GS Adventure 2003
3) XT1200ZE 2014

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 06:18:37 pm »
Wow, what amazing natural beauty!  :thumleft:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline DirtRebell

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:49:21 pm »
What a trip it must have been. Great photos to tell the story!

Offline trevorwb

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Warning Labels are only recommendations
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:53:50 pm »
Great RR and photos...Thanks.

Offline trevorwb

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Warning Labels are only recommendations
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 08:54:13 pm »
Great RR and photos...Thanks.

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 10:44:05 am »
Great report great photo's. Thanks for sharing.
 :thumleft:

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline The Badger

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Thank you SADF
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 04:40:53 pm »
 :thumleft: :ricky:
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline silvrav

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 04:44:18 pm »
 :ricky: